1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stanwood

Stanwood Avatar

Thank you, Chris. I continue to have faith in your vision and can't wait to read more.

Heradite, smack, Abydos and 3 others like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

zoning is for test phase only. Later on only GM's and Devs will be able to zone.
    Same thing with quitting the game while in combat will keep your avatar for a while etc.
    Lots of such mentioned but not yet implemented.

3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Good stuff! There will be some minor reasons for PVE people to venture to PVP areas but I expect the most important one by far is FUN. I know there will be lots of people who live only for PVP stuff and are perma flagged and in a PVP guild but even for PVE heavy people there is some new excitement in hunting the smartest creature in the game AKA other players.

We haven't finalized the exact plan for features like pulling other people's corpses, looting privileges. Unlike some other games, all that is really at risk is what you've recently picked up so our expectations are that people will frequently just say, "Meh, rot away corpse!" There is still some discussion internally on some of these items because nothing is ever as simple as it seems once you get to the implementation point.

As for how long corpses will survive, currently scenes with no players in them time out after 5(!) minutes or so. Without further changes that would mean that leaving a scene with a corpse in it and no other players will time out quickly. I think we're going to have to extend that some when a corpse is left behind but again, tons of gotchas on the exact implementation side.

4. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

Sounds good, very reasonable approach.

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

What Spoon said. There are some features currently in the game that we will slowly start prying out of player's hands in the next few releases. Instant free zoning and teleport and instant, nearly free skill training are both on the soon to be extinct list. :O

royalsexy, Heradite, Gaelis and 12 others like this.
  6. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

In the past I liked sacrificing gear merely as a way of saying, i play this enough to know how to get it again. UO for lone wolves had a problem, in that i could stock myself endlessly but as one, I had no real object goals short of farming for myself. So, once you get a castle, then what?
    (end of lolie reference)

Where as in this the motivators might be more obvious over-time. I really like the idea of a full crawl to get to your "take home" it kind of satisfies the notion of "all or nothing"

If you took chill bain's in reverse; And you got to the elemental room and provided no glitches happen for LOS; you would have one hell of a fight to the surface, playing slightly on the crawl elements from previous ultimas. It would be kind of neat to have a challenge and a reward like that.

The idea of a shiny diamond is alluring esp as 1 person. That said, having varying challenges for ranges of people, or having them scale up... good lord. We might actually have a system that might give content to guilds, like... bigger guilds.

The thought of like 50 people in 1 challenge, is like o_O;

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

@Chris
    Is there any view to make consumable items lootable as a general rule in PvP?

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Will there be a dress code enforced for the full loot zones? :p

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Chris
    Suggestion:
    Having some of the rarish PvP scene resources/loot light up the character with a visible clue, like a halo.
    This so that it becomes a mad dash / gauntlet for the exit but everyone in the scene can see that "you have it".

Could lead to lots of fun backstabs and games etc.

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

My thought is that if I find something really nice I might be tempted to hide somewhere and wait, rather than try to fight my way back out immediately.

Chatele, Gaelis, smack and 5 others like this.
  11. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I am curious about the time:loot ratio for PvP.

By this I mean, when I first joined and decided to craft, it took me about 2 hours of running around areas picking up 1-2 ore and 1-2 timber each node to craft a weapon. Just ONE weapon.

If I die in a PvP zone and lose everything, how much time did I just lose if I crafted all that stuff?

Will PvP zones basically be areas where you essentially want to go in wearing NPC armour? I mean, 200gp per item is a lot easier to lose than 1,500gp and 2 hours per item :p

Plus, if I need to bank anything unnecessary each time I go to a PvP zone, that'll mean unlocking a lot of bank space before I can go there. Otherwise I am just pointlessly risking items I don't really need to take.

Chatele, Heradite, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Thanks for the quick response.

Have we also considered what happens with disconnects (i.e. power outage or temporary server interruption)?

***EDIT*** I'm referring specifically to client side, as obviously server side will screw everyone and not just 1 person... though, now that I think about it... if there is a server crash what is lost?

Heradite, smack, Shiva2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that anywhere (the joys of being newish).

14. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

Really depends if you're going about it in an educated way, or if it stays the same really. That's upon release where that kind of stuff would be finalized, but using the example; armor is about 2k; weapons if you make them are like, maybe 10-20 minutes worth of time; but for a shiny diamond, that 2k buy in, might work out right. that's kind of where in the procedure there is much to be seen as far as is it efficient or more like russian roulette....

:p

15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

My understanding with the intention is there won't be any NPC armor. Everything will have been created by players at one point or another. So whether you are buying what someone else created, or what you yourself created is all that matters in that regard.

16. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

This has always been an issue. What it does is supports the crafting economy. Most serious PvPers stockpile basic stuff that can be lost while PvPing. They do this by spending their resources on gear- which creates demand, which drives value for those items. PvP is mostly an endgame activity- if you have trouble affording basic gear you will need to make an adjustment of some sort. A lot of player in UO would play sneaky classes- come with just a cheap weapon, or even just run around naked hoping to loot what they needed.

Certainly you should not take lootable items you dont want to lose into an area where they can be looted. (What those items will be is seems to still be under development)

17. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

So, to secure my loot I switch to FPO or SPO so noone will loot me in PVE. As long these playoptions exists, looting corpse in PVE won't bring more risk in the game, it will only change the play mode.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

hmmm I don't know how I feel about per zone rules to be honest but I like that this is a step towards a better and more flexible looting system.

19. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Just for clarity then, I have only done crafting once. I made a hammer to test it.

When doing this it took literally 2 hours to gather the... what? 24 or so iron necessary, with each node dropping between about 1-3. And of course, it all had to be iron, so copper nodes were essentially wasted time.

Running around a zone, getting each spawn as it came up, I was getting about one iron or copper node per 90 seconds or so. So that's about an iron node every 180 seconds. Even if I got 2 iron from every node, that's ~45 minutes. And that's just the iron, not the wood or the actual crafting itself.

So, where do you go to collect all the iron, all the wood and craft all the pieces and the final product in 10 minutes? Because that seems like a huge disparity to me o_O

20. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I'll answer in game, not really willing to dish it out on the forums just yet, but on average i can take in anywhere from 50-100 iron ore in about 20 minutes, probably about the same in hides.

;P as far as wood, it's about 30 an hour but of pine/maple. Cotton rates... eh, about double that.

Moiseyev Trueden and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.