Will Richard Garriott be a regular player or....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C64Television, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C64Television

C64Television Avatar

...is he just creating the game and moving on to something else? I only ask because it would be a lot of fun to come across him in game.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

He's made every indication that he intends to play. Though I expect with his schedule his play time will be sporadic.

3. Gix

Gix Avatar

I suspect that his play-time will remain the same until all five episodes are completed but, then again, he might be able to free up more time during production once he's got all the important systems in place. It's safe to assume that episode one's production is when he'll most likely be participating the least and I managed to see him twice (the first? PvP tournament and PaxLair's R16 ceremony) despite my own sporadic play schedule.

All speculations, of course, since he's the only one capable of answering the question.

The other devs are fun to meet too; they're like wild pokemons.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I wouldn't call him a "regular" player though.. him and his "I'm invincible and can't be killed" flag. :) Apart from that though...

Three Eighty-Six, iansmellios and Net like this.
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome C64Television!

C64Television, Ice Queen and FrostII like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A)
    It's quite easy to run into him during release days. Just be in the "newish" area or the official release party.
    B)
    In the game, you can "friend" anyone by adding their name to the friend list. So you can actually see him login/logoff etc.
    C)
    There are 5 episodes planned, this being the first one. So he is in this project for at least 5-6 more years. I would deem it highly unlikely if you were so inclined not to meet him.
    D)
    He still visits Ultima Online from time to time, typically for special occasions.
    E)
    If you see him online, and invite him over, then occasionally when/if he has the time he has stopped over on several occasions. I'm usually in the wrong timezone (EU) but for instance the other day when I'd finished my Jumping Course build, I saw him pop online and asked him nicely if he would grace the course with his presence, which he did.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ii-spoons-silly-spectacles.25547/#post-360599
    All you gotta remember is that he is a very busy man, and that he gets these type of invites/shout outs all the time. So he will make some priorities depending on occasion.
    F)
    Richard just like most (all?) of the Port crew is a really nice guy, much too nice for his own good sometimes.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

B: Note, they don't have to be logged in to do so. :)

I make a note to just say hello to any dev I see online (including Richard).. or good morning or just general greeting. Occasionally, they answer back. :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Befriending LB yields also a Steam Achievement. :cool:

I did after he friend'ed me! :)

And remember: since he's the owner of the show, you will never know if that cute noob that's strolling about is not an alt of him, trying to enjoy the game in "anonymous" form. ;)

Another good reason to treat newbies well! :D

iansmellios, 4EverLost, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  9. Morganor

Morganor Avatar

Well, the encounter with renz should have teached him that people want to get the "special achievement", so he wont forget to put up the flag anymore. I think he'll try everythink to prevent us from getting it this time. ;)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I have him locked in my basement in Paxlair. $10 gets you 5 minutes alone with him.

11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

He makes appearances in the game pretty often. Not sure if he's moving on to anything else, as this one hasn't even been completed yet. They are committed to at least 5 episodes though so we won't know until years from now on your question, hehe :)

I don't think he's a die hard player though, you can see that from the mmorpg.com interviews when he's showing off the game to Rob. With all the work he has to do with the project, he just can't commit that kind of time I'm sure. Not saying anything bad about that, he's a busy man, RG has a lot to do. He's the face of the game so to speak, so I'm sure he has limited time to play, as he's has multiple duties with the project; helping with creation of the game, the ideas, meetings, design sessions, the promotion of the game, and approving everything that's implemented within the game, etc. etc. etc..

Budner likes this.
  12. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Just went cliff diving with him the other day in Pax... Of course he had full plate on so he didn't jump.

steanne, Katrina Bekers and Ice Queen like this.
  13. C64Television

C64Television Avatar

Thank you for all the answers, everyone.

I have been a diehard Ultima fan since 1983. Talking to him/meeting him in game would be a treat. Hopefully I don't hit him with a cart or run him over with a horse or something silly. LOL!!

PS: nice to meet all of you and thanks for the welcome, Mata. :)

14. Selene

Selene Avatar

Sounds like a bargain!

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

In Game, Richard is a savage PK !!!

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Moonshadow and smack like this.
  16. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

fear not, like dear abbey or the hardy boys, Lord British can be on 24/7. Who is really going to know who is the power behind the throne?

The Hendoman

iansmellios likes this.
  17. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Greetings friends!
    Of all the members of the development team, it is likely that I am either the #1 or #2 player of the live version of the game. While don't get to play every day, as is likely true for anyone, I am indeed a VERY regular player and not just OPEN to connecting to as many people in game as possible, but I go WAY out of my way to do so. As was mentioned above, one of the ways I play is to hang near the beginning areas during each release. That way I can add as many new players to my friends list as possible. I also encourage them to friend me back. That way people can see when I log in / out of the game, and direct message me when I am in about events or issues in real time. I believe living with all of you IN the game is essential for understanding how to support and grow this world we are building together.

While the development team is the construction company building the buildings and infrastructure of a world, it is YOU the players that bring the world to life. Only by participating deeply in that life along side you, can we enhance the things that are going well and fix the things that are not. I am not a big believer in polls and surveys, instead, I gain my inspiration from being in game. The team in Austin is feeling this a lot right now, because now that the foundation of the game is in place, I have built them an ever growing list of details we MUST get right for the to be the worthy successor to what we have built before!

My critical features to get right list, which comes not from top down planning, but rather living along side you in the game, includes things like: Getting a deeper astronomy / astrology working including links to virtues quests, resource gathering, lunar rift operations, magic systems. Weather needs to get in with seasonal bias and effects on plant growth and other systems. Incidental animations from wind and touching hanging signs and things such as incidental crickets in the grass need some love. I am also eager to get the nutrition aspects of food and cooking in the game. I am eager to see more non traditional creature AI's, as I feel we have plenty of bipeds that stand and fight or shoot arrows or magic. We need to revamp our spawning strategy so that creatures feel more purposeful rather than awaiting your arrival to come kill them. Placed NPC's all need a real life cycle day & night. Interactive musical instruments need to get in. Exploring NPC buildings should be rewarded, and their drawers and cabinets full of the stuff of THEIR lives (but leave it alone unless you want a virtue ding). The list goes on... The point is, that is all comes from playing along side you in the world.

So, for the foreseeable future, my JOB is to be in game with you, feel the joys and pains of playing just as you do, and then bring back next steps for the team.

See you in New Britannia. Don't forget to /friend Lord British when you see me!
    - Richard "Lord British" Garriott

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    *Two thumbs up* !!!

19. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Great news Lord British, all those things you mention are super important to me as a player too :)

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Thank you for everything, but that in particular!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.