Vote what Dragons usable for Unity 3d you like the most!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Jun 26, 2015.

?

What Dragons / Creature you like the most! ( could you imagine ingame)

Poll closed Jan 26, 2016.
  1. 1. Animated Dragon Beast

9.6%
  2. 2.Dragon Pack Kalamona

42.3%
  3. 3.Dragon Dexsoft Games

42.3%
  4. 4. Mountain Dragon Protofactor

9.6%
  5. 5. 3drt.com Dragons Pack

26.9%
  6. 6. Gargoyle - yes. it flies, it kills - almost a Dragon. Grin. :)

21.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hello all.

I thought i make a search on the Unity Store and take a look at what Dragon Assets i find and i drop them in here and create a vote.

Maybe something helpful for the Developers comes out of it. :) ( If not, we still had fun. :) )

1. Animated Dragon Beast.

Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10802

2. Dragon Pack Kalamona

[​IMG]
    Low Poly Animation:

Source: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10157

3. Dragon DexSoft Games

Source: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/32365

4. Mountain Dragon from Protofactor ( seems to include ground animation also)

Source: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/445

Source: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/405

5. 3drt.com DRagons The largest package and very impressive Unity Available 3drt.com Dragons

Source and Shop: http://3drt.com/store/characters/dragons-pack.html

6. Gargoyle Not a Dragon, but a very well done Gargoyle: Do you think this is awesome and should be in the game. grin.

Source: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37416

Frank Bach, smack, Rhudaur and 3 others like this.
  2. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I loved the bat-like dragons from Skyrim (also the flying beasts in Witcher 3 seem to behave bat-like as well). It looks most realistic with no silly "how does this heavy fat lizard hang in the air like that?!" effect :)

Myrcello likes this.
  3. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

Done

4. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I like the Dexsoft and 3DRT dragons.

The Dexsoft one seems to be most realistic in that it is the only one that has it's wings attached to it's front limbs. Similar to may of the creatures in nature. Also it is the one that most resembles the dragon from Game of Thrones which I think is pretty awesome. GoT Dragon It is also the way that Smaug exists from Lord of the Rings. Smaug 2

The 3drt dragon is just big and dangerous looking. Reminds me of this dragon or this dragon.

In the end, this world does not necessarily need to have only one type of dragon and some can be more dangerous than others but I do think there should be one that is the king of dragons, the untouchable one that kills large powerful parties. I think the Dexsoft dragons could be the weaker dragons that playes would have a better chance against and the king of dragons, similar to the images I linked to that are like the 3drt dragons. I would change the head and tail of the 3drt dragon a bit though as these features make it seem more like a flying dinosaur than a dragon.

RedDeer and Myrcello like this.
  5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

they want dragons - why not have 'em all? i want cute little dragonlings that swarm areas - but don't attack.. maybe they'll bite you and leave a permanent mark or two on hands legs, whatever... and for a while after the bite, your luck rolls are fairly higher than normal. :)

Myrcello likes this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

To be honest, i think they are all rather terrible Oo sorry.

Ninja edit:
    I know that's not your fault ^^ That's just what is in the store.

Lord Baldrith and Myrcello like this.
  7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The Developers , as i understood, purchase Unity Assets and then use the ones and rework them to a higher level of quality.
    This saves them time.

So my assumption was that they may not create the Dragons from scratch, but will pick a "OK Dragon" from Unity and rework it to a "SotA Quality approved level".

Just my assumption as i understood it. :)

Atogrim likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah!
    Well then, Dexsoft it is for me ^^

Myrcello likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Dragon models with four legs don't look right to me. The models with the front claws as part of the wings (like a bat) are the ones that look the best.

10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Dragons with front limbs separate from their wings, are old school D&D 1983 Red Box. At least to my knowledge. Likely even older.

11. Gix

Gix Avatar

If dragons are going to be in this game, I hope the dev is going to take the time to model, texture and animate them themselves.

I can't vote because I think they're all atrocious.

However, if we are talking specifically about the design, I like it when the dragon's front limbs are attached to the wings. Like any character one might design, just because it's an alien, or a monster or something we've never seen before, it doesn't mean you can't follow basic anatomy. It helps suspends our disbelief.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The movie Dragon Slayer is also "old school" (1981) and I think that they had it right.

13. Galdar Grimmstone

Galdar Grimmstone Avatar

Use BOTH 5 AND 6 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Myrcello likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Wha??

Dragons with four separate limbs are centuries old and predate RPGs or even printing presses!
    [​IMG]
    Of course, most Medieval dragons were portrayed like chickens, with two limbs and two wings, which is what is now reserved for depictions of wyverns.

15. Serillian

Serillian Avatar

The Kalamona pack seems like a good starting point - many of the others seem kind janky and weird. I'm also of the opinion that the bat type dragons seem like an inferior type of dragon (even if they make more anatomical sense). The Gargoyles aren't too bad - I'd love if they had the same SFX from UO, I can still hear it in my head.

16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I voted for the Kalamona pack too. I thought the other ones stunk.

I dislike the oversized heads and prefer more of a DragonLance "Larry Elmore" style...

Yes I'm aware this is not a picture from DragonLance, but it's the same style.

[​IMG]

Hettar Fimbultyr, Epona and Myrcello like this.
  17. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I must admit, I personally tire of the standard fantasy tropes, and the constant Game of Thrones hype just makes me even more weary... I'd really like to see Shroud do something out of the ordinary with the monsters, even if it might clash with the standard D&D roster we have so far, and the sort of jolly Medieval theme the game has. I'm not opposed to the "Noble King Of Beasts" style in game, but I want to see Dragons also be something more serpentine, evil, alien. Perhaps tied to the Shardfalls, black, glistening, nasty... something along the lines of HR Giger, maybe?

Either going for a pure merge between the Giger style and dragons; like this artist does;

[​IMG]

Or maybe something even more serpentine, not so much the human head but I like the worm like nature of the body and wings on this statue;

[​IMG]

Maybe Shroud isn't the game for this. In which case the Ancient Wyrm style from UO is a better fit. Still... I want to go out into the world and think "Eww, that must be destroyed" rather than "Oh, you guys again."

Vaentorian and Myrcello like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm not sure which dragon is best. I like them all. Sometimes I think it is cool that the wings have little finger like things on them so they only have legs not arms. I will vote in a sec.:) Ok I voted Dragon Dexsoft since this dragon did not have arms also. I am not necessarily opposed to having arms, but at the moment I like the movement and look of the smaug like dragon. This video is showing a bit of the making of the dragon smog and is very short and I found it interesting.;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  19. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I get the point about bat-limb dragons being more realistic anatomically, but to my mind the '4 legs plus 2 wings' model will always be the standard and variations on that don't seem like 'proper' dragons... that goes right back to childhood. Dragons are inherently magical creatures and I don't really subscribe to the school of thought that such creatures should be anatomically correct by the standards of normal animals. As long as they're done well though, I have no objections to models that differ from my childish ideal :) quite fond of the limbless Chinese dragons actually, I suppose if you need an explanation for how they fly, they must tap into natural air magic somehow :p

Myrcello likes this.
  20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

A two-legged dragon is usually called a wyvern. =P

unicornslady, Epona and Myrcello like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.