1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Allocation for Skill Wipe

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I am afraid this is another reason why I leave PvP for good, I cannot afford to remake deck before tournament and my needs are bit different, after every wipe I need to level up, I need to get gold for decorations, I need to get resources for gear and decorations, I need very different deck for exploring or Gustball... And sadly PvE and PvP require rather different sets of skills, Tabula Rasa or Confusion seems to be utterly useless in PvE, but are sort of must haves in PvP... their skill point and gold costs are too high though.

I can see that the goal is for people to stick with their skills, but it also forces extra grind for gold on us, and I am not sure about others, but I can already burn all my gold in reagents (and newly in dyes) too quickly and I have not figured out a quick enough way to make it. And it limits experimenting with new skills, I am afraid that people will make either cheap builds or the most popular builds and hardly anyone will dare to spend tens of thousands of gold to test new skills.

The main issue for me is that skills are far from balanced and imposing these costs justs prevents me to look if some skills I do not have work any better. I cannot easily compare effectivity of different builds. And while the skills change with every other patch, I cannot as easily reallocate my points.

2. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Marjoria70, you are the most upbeat poster on the forums and not only do I agree with your post, but I want to give you +100 for making me smile every single time I read something from you. I wish there more people were as upbeat as you are and freely I admit that I fall short many times - especially when I get pissy with cretins who never have a nice thing to say about SoTA...lol.

In any case, DarkStarr and team, thank you for everything! You folks rock :)

majoria70, Budner, margaritte and 2 others like this.
  3. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

To get peaple to play gustball will be hard now, cous they had allways to reskill.

4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Disclaimer: I haven't had a chance to play since the new release so my comments are based purely on feedback from others on this thread.

If it's true about the high cost of training, then I'm concerned about that too! Having to spend 10K for training in one skill is ridiculous.

Agreed - PLEASE NO! Raising the training costs up so high is going to have a ripple effect on everything else for sale in the game. People will be broke trying to buy training, recipes, decorations, housing, deeds and everything else. Being perpetually broke is ZERO fun.

As a rule I have zero complaints about the direction the Devs take. But 10K a pop? Yikes! That's usury...lol. Have the trainers seen an opportunity to make some quick cash and soak the Avatars out of their hard earned spoils? It is disheartening to say the least and waaaaay to much to pay. :eek:

My humble suggestion to the devs is to rethink how much training is going to cost. It isn't logical to hyper inflate training costs to such an exorbitant level. Using these costs as an artificial way to slow down player progression is not going to make a lot of people happy. I am one of the slowest people you'll ever see for leveling and pretty good at making ingame moola, but this is not making me happy...lol! The gesture of giving us gold for now is wonderful and I really do appreciate it! But that is not going to alleviate the problem when the full wipe comes and we all have to start over. The gesture is not going to alleviate the pain when SoTA goes live and we are all scrambling trying to find ways to survive combat, damage to armor, upgrading weapons etc. It could end up being a situation where when you die, everything ends up broken and you can't quest because you have no gold to repair, no gold to buy new items, and no gold to train. It will end up a situation between the *haves* (those who pledged high enough to have several free suits of armor/weapons - of which I am one) and the *havenots* (those who didn't pledge high enough and have nothing to fall back on). I can hear the screams of *Pay to win* coming!! Not trying to be a downer, but if people are ALREADY boohooing about P2W because of tax-free deeds, what do you think is going to happen with this since it directly affects combat? It won't be pretty.

So please reconsider this decision. My suggestion is to either double or triple training for each tier. If the lowest tier costs 100G per level, make the second tier 200G per level. Third tier 400G per level, etc...you get the idea. If that's too low a threshold, then 100/300/600/1200. OR 200/400/800/1600...300/600/1200/2400. Make the costs *reasonable*, but still require work to accumulate the gold for training.

Caliya, aikainnet, cam2009 and 3 others like this.
  5. Periwinkle Elodie

Periwinkle Elodie Avatar

Agreed. I don't play often enough to make the kind of money required to play. Casual players are going to be very put out I think.
    I only had 6k when I patched and went broke trying to get my skills back to where they were. However, it doesn't really matter right now since the game has blue screened me once and then crashed my pc a second time before I could close out the skills menu :/

6. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Peri - have you put in a bug report about this?? PM me if you need assistance doing it, I'm happy to help!

Nepenthor likes this.
  7. Nepenthor

Nepenthor Avatar

I'll be go to hell...Thankyou!!!

I was playing last night...and when i logged in..i saw that I had over 30K of gold..(at the end of 18 i had about 4K) ...in my inventory...and i figured it was some kind of mistake...I had read the earlier threads where folks were upset about the large cost of the skills trainer with this release...especially for the higher level players...

I was with the trainer...and really studying how i was going to build my skills...took painstaking time...seeing that those higher level skills do get damn expensive...as I clicked thru my choices...

but...

the end result of all this was i had plenty of lire, pesos, gold, dinero, franks, pounds, yen, Deutsche mark, euro, shekel, ruble, rupee, dubloon, dollars to cover my skill training!

And...

Then i understood... as the next time I logged in there was this note that explained why i had so much $.

So...Mr Dark...I appreciate the generous gesture and I am not broke...

Nepenthor
    Pax et Veritas

"How snug is your Hobbit Hole"?

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Thanks for the extra gold, I was easily able to re-skill my level 50 character with tons of gold left over.

9. Nepenthor

Nepenthor Avatar

Mr. Dark:

I do agree with others in this thread that the high cost (up to $10,000G) is way too high...I have no idea how the dev came up with these numbers (maybe some formula?)...but it does diminish the enthusiasm for the game...you work, work, work to level up...and earn $ only to have to spend it on mats, repair kits, health, focus...or $ to craft items...

I was at level 31 with 4K of gold...no way could I have afforded to train my skills the way i wanted with the points I had...as it was... with your generous gift i could afford the training...and still have a reasonable balance...thanks again...!

I don't see the devs continuing to be so generous in the future...with $ gifts such as these...so my question is what will happen with a full wipe and folks have to start over...from scratch...

Lower level pledges such as myself... will have a tough time affording the training...and we don't have the benefit of those "high level pledge" perks that Fionwyn mentions in her post.

My request to the dev....please rethink the tier costs...make it much more affordable...let us try out a lower cost this release...and then amend if needed in 20, 21, etc...

Thanks for listening...

Nepenthor
    Pax et Veritas

"How snug is your Hobbit Hole"?

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This won't be the case though.
    In R18 I did a restart with an alt and used only the starting gear. After an hour I had made 2000+ g just following the starting quest lines and looting some skeletons and whatnots.
    In the same time I had leveled up from 5 to a level 9 adventurer.
    Looking at the costs of lower tier skills that would still give me some 1000-1200 g for gear. Now mind you I know where to go and what to avoid, so it will be much harder for a total newcomer but not exponentially so.

With each release we are getting more and more starting quests and see more beginners areas form around the tutorial parts. So I expect it to be even easier starting out in coming releases.

Now the problem is people who don't pay attention to the quest lines and story. Those will have a much much harder time if the run nilly willy into the wild and get killed repeatedly.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well thing is we were already trained up to the level that our character is now. I for one know it will not be so easy at launch. I'm sure if others do not, they will find out at that time;)

**edited** no coffee yet;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

What we need are soul stones.

Mata and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh Duchess what a so very nice thing to say. Thank you for that wonderful compliment. I am happy you joined us. I was fortunate to meet you at the very beginning. I get prissy here and there too **bows head in shame** I guess we are just 'fangirls' to the core.;)

14. Nepenthor

Nepenthor Avatar

Thanks Spoon...

And unlike you i was a total beginner and really still am....so i don't know where to go and what to avoid...i don't have the gaming experience a lot of you do...so it has been a slow learning process...I did find my way...(with much help from the guild folks)...slow but sure...learning the crafting, deck system, combat tactics...so my skills training didn't come fast, nor did my money...toward the end of 18 i had learned enough of the crafting trades...to sell some stuff thru the vendor...so money was coming in with more regularity...:)
    Your point about the Quest lines rings true...one must take the time to follow them...again a learning curve there...one must take the time to converse with the NPC's and follow story lines...and thus find the quests you need to complete and thus have success.

I appreciate your valid points...
    from a learning Avatar...

Nepenthor
    Pax et Veritas

"How snug is your Hobbit Hole?"

majoria70 and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  15. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Disclaimer: I STILL haven't had a chance to play *cries*. So maybe I am full of kaka...but here goes...lol.

Hey Spoon, you make some valid points :)

But - I thought this was a sandbox game where we aren't supposed to be tethered to doing quest-lines? So if we *the players* MUST now do questlines to get enough gold for training and all the other various things we want/need to buy ingame, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the sandbox? Additionally, since there are no quest markers, people will have to find them. That takes time. There are random encounters to survive and encounters when you go exploring to deal with. Plus, we now have more difficulty at night with spawns of zombies AND highwaymen that can steal your gold.

So looking at the big picture (admittedly you and others may see the picture differently :p ), 10K for training is a goofy, arbitrary number that I honestly don't think is a good thing at all. If there is a rationale to it, then perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Katrina Bekers and Nepenthor like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Since the game is in testing, maybe it would be really useful if everyone got a large sum of gold, regardless of character level. How better to test every system, than have enough gold to do it? The time it takes to generate gold, every time there is a wipe, is like playing the same game repeatedly. I mean, a paid staff would do it because it's their job. Help us volunteer testers want to do more in the game by making it easier to play. In the end, gold can easily be removed. I know that the dev+ members got huge amounts of gold free, to test the game. Why not let everyone have the same ability?

17. Jandrew Traliam

Jandrew Traliam Avatar

Alright, please don't be offended. I don't want to have another post moved/deleted. But we need to talk.

I'm gonna be truthful about this: I've enjoyed the ~90 hours I've spent testing Shroud of the Avatar. It's obviously a pre-alpha experience where certain skills simply don't work and are a complete waste; I understand that I am TESTING the game. What I cannot abide or understand is being expected to grind gold in order to pay a skill trainer to advance my skills while I am testing a buggy, sometimes broken Pre-Alpha game.

I'm talking 50k-75 gold to switch from a level 50 PvP build to a PvE testing build. That's easily more money than my character has made in the 90 hours I've been playing.

I understand that I'm on the official forums and obviously we all want the game to be fun and get developed; but I think you're shooting us in the foot by making us spend the gold we earn on our builds so early in development.

And to be honest I feel that the response from the Dev team was a bit condescending (even if it was unintentional)...the comparisons to Johnny Cash fans vs Taylor Swift fans really irked me and having the post locked in the R19 forums did nothing to assuage my unrest. If we can't discuss our concerns then I am worried for the development of SotA.

In regards to the 1k per level fix I'd like to quote Taylor Swift: "Bandaids don't fix bullet holes."

18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are lowering costs for the upper levels by quite a bit in this evenings patch.

Sorry for the frustration this has caused many of you. Please be patient as we iterate.

19. Net

Net Avatar

Thank you, I hope this will make switching builds expensive, but possible:)

20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

A better solution would be to enable multiple character slots but that's probably not going to happen any time soon I don't think.

Katrina Bekers and Nepenthor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.