Players getting banned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coolit, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolit

Coolit Avatar

I keep hearing stories about players getting banned. I'm a pvp'er and would hate to spend more time in money in this game if there's a chance of getting banned for killing the wrong player such as a friend of one of the developers or a popular community member. Does this go on? I agree that anyone cheating or making out of game threats to people need to be banned, but I would hate to think people are being banned for political reasons.
    As far as pvp goes, if I can kill someone who's not in my guild I will do it and should be able to without fear of getting banned.

Moonshadow, Abydos, Gix and 1 other person like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Governors of Player Owned Towns (POTs) can ban people from their towns for any reason.

However, my town Rat's Nest, has not and WILL NOT ban someone for ANY reason.

From the Rat's Nest FAQ:

22. Will you ever BAN a player from Rats Nest?
    No. I'm not interested or responsible for policing the game for Terms of Service violations. That's Portalarium's job. No player will ever be banned by me as a POT owner. However as a good citizen of New Britannia, I would strongly suggest that all players read and understand the Terms of Service so they may follow it in spirit as well as the letter to avoid entanglements that might result in a ban by Portalarium.

Tarsin, smack, Brink1123 and 2 others like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I haven't been banned yet......

I have heard about some being banned.....but I only know half the story so it's difficult to comment.

Moonshadow, Tarsin, Logain and 2 others like this.
  4. crydee

crydee Avatar

Such wise words that others could benefit from :)

Ps. Great town! I'm currently residing in a row lot

Jivalax Azon and E n v y like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You should not have to worry about getting banned from the game Coolit since that is how I took your thoughts. Like being banned from a game for being a bot etc. As mentioned there are some town owners who may not like you interferring with their events and want to ban you from their town for disrupting it. Otherwise you may fight other pvp players. If they don't want that to happen they should not be flagged, well just my opinion. Pvp is pvp and if flagged you and others are at risk to be killed.;)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Haha! good times. Do you still patrol Grunvald for R21?

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not at the moment......waiting for combat to be a little bit more fixed. At the moment I just take on the occasional players every so often :)

Doom Angel likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Hearsay and Speculation - players have ben banned for reasons that are VALID, not political.

Anyone spreading rumors about how someone got banned for a political reason is just being but hurt, and spreading rumors.

9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

There are a lot of corpse camping PKers that have played this game and killed many people INCLUDING the devs... not just friends of devs... so you should be good to go if you don't make threats outside of the game or (according to their tos) grief someone. (although corpse camping could be seen as griefing I know both sides of the field do it... we've had pk hunter groups that we corpse camped a pker in retaliation for corpse camping a guy at a skill trainer... neither the guy who was corpse camping the newbs or my group got in trouble for such activities)

Welcome to the game! PvP tournaments every weekend in Vengeance if you care to come :)

Raven Swiftbow likes this.
  10. Coolit

Coolit Avatar

Thanks, it reassuring to know everything is on the up and up.. For the record I never grief people, just like the thrill of pvp.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I never see corpse camping in PvP areas griefing in the slightest. Likewise repeatedly killing someone flagged for PvP even if they are afk is not griefing. People may not like it, they may see it as bad taste........but ultimately if your flagged for PvP you should expect the unexpected.

That being said.....breaking the ToS by cheating/verbal abuse is just asking for trouble. Secret to a successful Pk session is to never respond to the victim.

12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

As long as you don't engage in psychopathic behavior like stalking other players in chat or in real life you should be ok. Make sure you are familiar with the terms of service. I have seen players complain about being banned who mistakenly thought their behavior was ok.

Ravicus Domdred and SeleneNoctua like this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I don't see how you could be banned just for being a PK. You're either in a PvP zone, or you're not. If you're in a POT, the POT owner can ban you.

So if someone got banned, they were doing something more than just PK'ing some duke or duchess in a PvP zone.

Something dark ....... something evil ........ hitting on RG's wife?

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's an excellent way to never get banned. It is extremely hard to play a game and get banned for playing it. It's usually from remarks that people get upset and report someone. I haven't seen a way you can play this game to get banned if you follow this rule... you can be considered an [insert word I'd get moderated for] if you kill people during player events and cause the events to run long or fail because of it... but with player towns in how they are most people are running events in pvp safe zones. Player banning from lots/towns is now possible almost everywhere so I think this is your best suggestion ever @E n v y

Thadeus Crook [MGT], Enfo and E n v y like this.
  15. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

There are a lot of ways to get banned - I should know. Being an absolute mute will cut most of that down to a minimal - save for botting/exploits.

If you just reallllllly want to have loads of fun - the Forums is where the real PVP is at.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

If someone was banned it likely was for a violation of game's written terms of service, not something arbitrary like whacking the spouse of the second cousin of Richard's third great uncle.

Though one should always watch their back when engaging in PVP...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Wise words

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree. I'd like to think we can PK with impunity and taunt the victims with impunity as long as our language isn't too obscene, four-letter-words, racial slurs, etc. If someone reports us - and I don't do this BTW - because we say they suck at PvP or their mama works in a brothel, then I hope they are sanctioned for reporting us. The remedy is to ban someone, if you own or POT, or just suck it up and deal with it. It's pixels. Don't be such a victim.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I totally understand where you're coming from. Although there are plenty of people that own POT's that I've come to trust, my first reaction to players owning towns at all was very similar to your own.

It's also one of the reasons that Rat's Nest will never ban anyone for any reason. I'm 100% committed to that. In fact, if Portalarium will do it they can remove that functionality from my town.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Enfo, Logain, galdrmadhr and 2 others like this.
  20. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I think associating Portalarium with POT bans is a bad move for any reason, they don't need that press. They should wash their hands with it and give the Town owners the ability to ban or not to ban and let the chips fall on the Town owners if they choose to abuse the system.

Ravicus Domdred and Budner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.