PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The problem is....if the PoT owner is a named guy, some people think they can do no wrong...you get on the wrong side of him and you are on the bottom of peoples shoes getting scraped off. It's a click system plain and simple...and it has the potential to be abused.

Do you not agree it can be abused?

mbomber likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's like saying if you don't hold events, nobody will disrupt them. It avoids the issue.

mbomber likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, sure that would be bad. Hey, what if one of the POT owners turned out to be a bad person in real life and right before they were put in jail for 100 years they said "I love being a POT owner in Shroud of the Avatar and that's why I'm a bad person"?

Again, strawman.

mbomber likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

As far as rental contracts go, you'll eventually be evicted anyway, even if not at whim. What was your particular concern about how it works now?

mbomber likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

It doesn't though.

Because POT owners can police the events. So if you disrupt an event you risk being banned - potentially for life.

Lord Baldrith, mbomber and Womby like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really.

Come on, it's not even a stretch to think that scenario could happen....I'm not even the first to think it will.

mbomber likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, at least you would have some control...it isn't what I would agree with in general but I was trying to find a solution that was somewhat middle of the road. Realistically it can still be abused but at least the player knows at say the end of a 3 month rental contract he will be evicted unless he gets three months more...then he can decide to move out on his own.

Otherwise say you get in on a Monday spend all day decorating then Tuesday comes and Joe Blow evicts you....all your work gone.

Xandra7 and mbomber like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, but imagine that the devs offered no banning powers. Some POT owner starts a thread asking for a ban because events can potentially be disrupted.

Someone comes in and posts 'Then don't have an event -- what's the problem?' 'Event disruptions are just theoretical -- don't spread fear.'

Lord Baldrith, Pickley and mbomber like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

But we're back on this "what will happen IF 'players' do X Y Z" kick. What will happen is Portalarium will have to manage that situation and probably say "player X was actually doing 100 things wrong and was given 40 warnings by the POT owner before they were banned".

OR "Yeah that's a bad situation, that's why you could vet POT owners before you mess around with them".

Why can't players vet POT owners?

mbomber likes this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

It's not theoretical, the events were happening in pre-alpha and getting griefed. That's why this happened, PORT realized that they couldn't support POTs the way they needed to be supported. And that was with 1 of them.

Lord Baldrith, mbomber and Womby like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

In Rats' Nest I'll have a ban list that is 100% empty. Don't go live in a POT if it can't say that. Problem solved.

mbomber and Womby like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Here's what I think would be a reasonable request from people that don't own POTs.

Let me see the ban lists for each POT! That way I can see who bans people and then go talk to those people and figure out why that happened.

That makes sense to me. Be informed, be educated, hold POT owners accountable. But don't ask them to run their POTs in ways that they can't possibly mange them as they were intended.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Port needs to be careful in the way they handle these things. There is already a perception of favoritism on here. I have read it and I'm sure you have. There is even a website out there that talks about it.

I'm seriously thinking this is a powder keg. This thread shows it is simmering away.

So, I note I have upset a lot of PoT owners....now one of them decides I don't deserve to be in his town, bans me. Is that a good reason to ban? Is it in the spirit of this game?

Say it was Paxlair....I'm sure there will be some great events there, which I will probably take part in some or would have if I wasn't bnned. Gee fun. My fault though, I upset the lord.

(note I'm not banned from Paxlair, not that I know of at least.)

No one would call out Winfried on that...or if they did they would get over it. Like I would be told to.

How were they intended to?

mbomber likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Just tell me what YOU think, please. I don't know what everyone else thinks and neither do you. So please stop with this.

I don't care if you get banned from every POT, Rune. You'll always have a home in Rats' Nest. But I also don't care if you're banned from the other POTs because they're entitled to do that - it's like their home. Players can ban you from their homes too.

If I saw a POT owner ban someone for no reason I wouldn't go to their POT anymore.

I totally believe that some people will ban me from their POTs just because they don't like me on the forums. So what? I could care less, I have an entire world to play.

I don't follow you here.

mbomber likes this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

Provided you don't include the many times that POT owners evict themselves from their own properties when trying out new town layouts. :)

16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

That's a good idea.

17. gruenok

gruenok Avatar

Hey there Brother. I am Joe Average and PtW is not a viable business model any more than MLM's are. People will catch on and move along.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I told you what I read. I have no idea what they think when they type what they do, but I do know what they typed...that was a weird way of dismissing it.

How many of the regular posters don't own a PoT?

I wonder if because there are so many out there the majority of posters are PoT owners.

I'm hoping we get some more opinions in here from those who don't own one.

19. Drocis the Devious

There's nothing P2W about POTs. We have a game to fund here, btw. So before you talk about pledges and POTs, you need a solution to fund the game.

mbomber likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Rune, this is exactly why where I begin to wonder believe that you're trolling. You're ignoring something very important. The POT owner OWNS the town.

Do you also want home owners to not be able to ban people? Should we all just be able to walk right into someone's property until they report you for a TOS violation?

mbomber, Womby and cartodude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.