full pvp? full loot? like uo?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by BlackMage, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Macroing, exploits, 3rd party programs is an issue every computer game wether it is single player or multiplayer. Unfortunately some people think the only way to play computer games is by using those things. If plsyers want to be free from those types of things I recommend playing table top games. I refuse to ever use an exploit as well as those who do.

blaquerogue and Katrina Bekers like this.
  2. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

You are correct and for players who enjoy a single player experience that is a great option for them. I prefer to play in an environment with other players.

3. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

The nice thing about UO is that they only approved UO Assist and UO Automap...and they banned players for using 3rd party programs that would give players unfair advantages. I had a new appreciation of this after I started playing UO emulators.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If you want a healthy and active PvP community, you have to try and keep things reasonably fair and free of cheating.

When we make cheating easier, you kill that community. You're saying players shouldn't expect a fair environment, and I disagree strongly.

Logain and Katrina Bekers like this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The issues is deciding what is unfair, what is controllable, and what is fair. Some would call this cheating:
    [​IMG]
    Each of those thumb buttons can be set to a command. Something as simple as a key press to a complex macro.

The standard is going to be anything that breaks mechanics or automation that allows for absence of the player.
    Breaking mechanics is something they can plan for by adding controls. Like cool downs, these limit the speed actions can be executed. Automation isn't always a bad thing but automation in a loop so the player doesn't need to be present is no good.

blaquerogue and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. enderandrew

That is actually what I liked about the deck system. You get away from a set perfect rotation tied to a mouse macro.

And then they took away the balancing features, so a locked bar is just as good as the deck, and we'll be back to people putting rotation macros on their mouse.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Geez. Gaming mouse is staple. Get an anaconda not that. Thumb is not the most agile appendature.

G13 help you dominate too.

To whinge bout gaming peripherals is like whinging bout players with higher fps coz of their hardware

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Think you might be using the work macro a little too specifically when it's a pretty broad term.

If I can press a button on a keyboard or move that key press to a mouse. It changes nothing.

Automation macros, 1 button press equals 2 or more actions, is more of an issue. WoW's answer to this is a global cool down for all actions so the automation is no faster than someone pressing manually. Still no change.

Automation macros in a loop, several actions looping for a set duration. Very big problem, but in many cases there is little that can be done to stop the skilled coder.

9. enderandrew

Especially in PvP, if you can execute a long string of abilities at the precisely optimal timing for your cooldowns, it provides an advantage. And I said a macro for a rotation, not a keybinding for a single ability.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If you commit yourself to a string of commands, a rotation, that you can not break out of when conditions change then you will fail at PvP. It's not worth macroing if you have to break of the macro all the time.

1: You will fail miserably at PvP
    2: If you don't, combat is too generic and is simply who out damage per second the other.

Binding all your abilities to be readily available is great in PvP.
    Macroing them all into one bind makes you predictable in PvP.

What if I line of sight you and now all your cool downs are spent. Sets me up for an easy time.

11. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I would love a fair environment, I am just trying to think of a computer game that has ever provided that. I have played most and unfortunately all of them had cheats that were commonly used by a portion of the player base. I never used them and don;t plan too but either I can be frustrated by it and stop playing computer games or choice to have fun playing the game without cheating.

I play all kinds of games competitive games from MMO's to FPS and this issue is always brought up. I mean I just finished playing counter strike and the team I was on had 2 players that every time they were killed claimed the person who killed them were either wall hacking or aim boting. Maybe they were or maybe they weren't but I know that when u play those games your just going to run into people from time to time cheating.

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I played with locked-only for most of the releases, then they removed the drawbacks of the locked, and I moved to a random deck, enjoying it far more.

I'm all for giving handicaps to locked glyphs. It's far too easy to rotate them in millisecond-precise macros.

Ravicus Domdred and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  13. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

No I am talking about the damning statistics of there being little to no interest at all in SotA being watched or played on streaming sites like Twitch. Every once in a while a semi-mildly popular streamer will give it a try but SotA is quickly tossed aside due to lack of interest. For a game that is relying on word of mouth sales, that is a problem.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Logain and Myrcello like this.
  14. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I've been in all sorts of betas and alphas with wipes, and if people are really pumped about the game it does not matter. The drop in people playing is in fact a disenchanted huge population of players that see what could have been an amazing game destroyed by pointless coddling of the extreme anti-pk crowd, a boring push button combat system, relentless money grubbing, and broken promises.

To this day there is *no point* to the MMO portion of this game. It's like a glorified chat room, or Second Life. Sim Life. No need to build anything since everyone already bought their houses, no point to fight anything since it's boring and no PvP. You'll burn through the quest, then be left standing around chatting with other people about how much you love Lord British.

And steampunk is a dumb fad. It reminds me of ska.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and blaquerogue like this.
  15. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Thanks for the opinion. :)

16. Dexter2

Dexter2 Avatar

I bought a pledge, in memory of UO. But without full PvP, this game is not for me any interest.

goffer48 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  17. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

In memory of the UO era that was failing LOL. All you have to do is make your character full PVP, that's what everyone else who wants to PVP everywhere does.

Logain likes this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You can be as full PvP as you wish, but you can't make anyone else, no game can.

Logain and Katrina Bekers like this.
  19. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

PvP enabled POT's and guild wars and the PvP flag should provide PvP opportunities for players, as long as there is a healthy player base. The ultimate persistent dynamic world includes player conflict. We should remember much of the royalty that sat high up in their castles were protected by those who spilled their blood in defense of them. As a community we shouldn't shun this style of play, but push to create opportunities for an immersive, exciting and quasi-realistic combat environment for players to engage in, for those who wish to engage in it.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and jschoice like this.
  20. ZtruK

ZtruK Avatar

I feel like the OP doesn't have a good understanding of the history of UO. The amazing PvP experience was a complete accident. Lord British is an admitted ******** who was just trying to design a great immersive game and UO was the result.

I am like the OP but have lost all hope of any game being like UO. It was one of a kind. It only was so amazing because there were no alternatives for people who wanted to role play bakers or whatever the hell they wanted to do. There were wolves and sheep in one game simply due to lack of options for the sheep. A game like UO today is all wolves and isn't near as fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.