Viking Home ADD-ON

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G Din, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

You can team up with others in game to get a plot faster you can sell the house in game, you can, you really can.. But yea, that's why I got citizen level to have a persistent house without having to work in-game for a year, rather work in rl for a week extra hrs.

2. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I think this is where "renting" a house should come in. Since there are limited plots available, it only makes sense to me that players would have the ability to rent out space to other players with limited means. This may also help build the community and increase social interaction.

There are some problems with this, of course. No one wants slum lords, and no one wants players to be stuck renting from other players that they don't like or who are unfairly charging rent at silly prices. But I think these are things that are easily overcome (by freezing rent) and making rent options available to anyone that owns a house.

Still, this is an extremely valid concern, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a house that you may never get to use. When you think about it, that's almost the definition of buying a bill of goods.

3. Rixel

Rixel Avatar

As the map is dual mode, I would imagine adding plots to towns, cities, et al would be trivial, since they wouldn't change the overland map.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Will the Viking house be upgradable to a town or city lot? Say we aquire a higher plot of land, or are able to upgrade our property deed to city level. It would be cool to have a Viking mansion on that city lot.

5. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

That's a good thought but I'm not sure that's been the plan. They have always said there would be limited housing plots.

If plots aren't limited, then why pledge to get a plot?

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hmm. Stupid idea maybe, but what if they would basically split the purchase and the charge.
    You purchase it now to the special price,
    but you will not get charged until the ingame system notices you aquired a plot?

This would release all the fears of purchasing a house you never be able to use.

Also it would give the Dev team valid Data how many plots they might need?

Normaly a customer would not purchase a house bevore he has a plot? But this special price system makes it complicated. :)

7. Zilfin

Zilfin Avatar

So... does that mean that the rewards for the Citizen level will apply to whatever house I place on the plot? commission free Vendor etc. ?

8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Earlier reports speak of free vendor tied to house deed, not plot, so not likely

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It looks like a Viking lodge, but it's really a can of worms! :eek:

11. Hartsblade

Hartsblade Avatar

I agree renting may be an option, but it does open up a whole can of worms when it comes down to landlord tenent relations, and while I know some folks would love the immersion of that sort of thing I'd not be a big fan. As a casual player I'm not looking to emulate my real life issues in game. This (and other games) are an escape for some (most?) people and making it just like real life kind of takes away from it for me.

Having limited village/town/city plots makes sense, but what I'd like to see is the ability for a player to purchase a land stake in the wilderness and build outside of the established civilized areas. Let me find a nice spot, clear then land and place a house on it, let me be a "pioneer" of sorts. I know that may be outside of the scope of what the Dev Team has planned, but one can dream.

EDIT: Just a side thought on add-ons. Maybe the team would entertain the idea of selling add-on land stakes outside of established villages/towns/cities in the store, limited to one land stake per account to avoid people from buying up a bunch for speculation. This would give players of limited funds a chance to own land in the wilderness from the start.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This would ruin the real reason they are doing this, which is to earn money for development now.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Isaiah MGT 470 - DarkStarr noted in an earlier post that the Viking house only comes in one size - no model upgrades for the town or city lots :( (I definitely would have bought one if the model upgrades were avaliable.) I am really looking forward to next week's housing update on the Knight and Edelmann houses. I would really love to see what the Lord's house will look like at some point as well . (I'm upgrading to the Lord level, so it looks like I will end up using either use the town level Knight's house or the town level Lord's house, unless, of course, they release some more interesting housing designs ;))

Jambo likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

This hole limitation of plots , one shard only - could lead one day, if this game is a success to crazy high value plot worth. The players now paying presumable much might end up with a huge valuable plot spot.

They would be crazy to remove the plot limitation.

History has enough examples how much has been paid for virtual items. All Richard needs to ad then is a working transition system with fee and the extra income will come.

nightshadow likes this.
  15. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Talk of plot deed vs. house deed is getting confusing... I was under the impression that the only physical deeds were village/town/city and that within the deed there would be a menu selection showing the houses available for us to place on the lot we choose (some would be included like the basic house plus any rewards we have.. and other grander styles costing additional gold to upgrade). Is this not the case? Are we going to have a "village lot deed" and then a bunch of individual "house deeds" in our inventory for every available house type to place, and we could just hand off our Benefactor home style to someone else if we are never going to use it?

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I agree, it is confusing. I think the plots should be renamed to Large, Medium and Small, and the deeds keep the City, Town, Village classes. We already know that the different size lots aren't tied to a specific city type, so we might as well remove the city names from the lot sizes.

The sooner this happens, the better it will be going forward.

17. G Din

G Din Avatar

This is very simple now. They have shown the types of village level housing that you will be given at the citizen level.

If you prefer the viking house, pay $50 and you can use it instead.

If you like it better than your Lord or Knight's house, pay $50 and get it.

If you con't like the viking house, don't purchase it.

I bet they add other housing options later for town and city plots or even to compete with the Knight's house.

This will (1) bring in more funds for the game and (2) Give you the option of a house you might prefer more.

Each house they design takes time and costs money. In star citizen, some of those ships cost $35,000 to render. Of course they are gonna sell them for $100 a pop to make that back and make a profit.

I don't know how much it costs them to design a house, but its not cheap and the resources/funds allocated towards them needs to be recouped with the hope of making some profit to put back into the game.

Deliverence, Koldar and RelExpo like this.
  18. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I was under the same assumption, plots are free, house deeds cost, depending on what type of house it is depends on what plot it can be placed. This being an add-on should mean you at least be a citizen, but the village house deed originally pledged for can now be sold? This Is the part I don't get. So to buy this without being a citizen+ backer can leave one wanting.

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I agree with Dame Lori that this is somewhat confusing. As both Dallas and FireLotus said in earlier posts, currently there are only three different types of deeds - village (small-size plot), town (medium-size plot), and city (large-size plot). The size of your plot dictates what house model you can place on it (as in the case of the various sized Knight's homes and Wizerd's towers). Available house models will be displayed in some sort of menu. You can only place one house on your lot. Currently, there are not separate "house deeds", but that may change since DarkStarr mentioned in an earlier post about the ability to transfer housing models between players. It would really help if we got a definitive answer about that o_O

Jambo likes this.
  20. G Din

G Din Avatar

The Viking house is really for any backer that has pledged at citizen level up to knight. Those backers have a village level plot. As a Lord or above, you might not want this house because it will not scale with the size of your plot of land.

You could place this house in a village, town or city plot, but its more geared for village level.

So you did not back at atleast the citizen level, should you purchase this add-on?

Good question. I suppose you could if and when your able to purchase a plot of land you could then have access to this add-on at that time.

At game release, there will be some open plots, but you will have to buy those first before you can even place a house. You can't pay $50 for this house and place it without first acquiring the ingame funds to buy a plot and place it.

That is house I understand it. Question then is, will the add-on just be put into your pool of house choices to be used at a later date when you ever find a plot of land?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.