Unofficial poll: What type of game do you really wish SoTA to be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Furious Farmer, Sep 9, 2013.

?

What type of game do you really want SoTA to be?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2013.
  1. A completely open sandbox mmorpg

30.8%
  2. Strictly offline single player game

1.9%
  3. Single player with co-op

1.0%
  4. As SoTA is being developed: a selective multiplayer rpg

66.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

The question is self explanatory: what type of game do you really want to see SoTA to be?

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I like #1 too, but picked #4, with that you can have it any way you want by adjusting your settings.

Archaaz likes this.
  3. G Din

G Din Avatar

Not UO 2.0.

4. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Option 4 is good, but heck I must say.. If we can do mmo as an option... I miss UO.. Nothing I've seen has ever compared to it. I would like to see a UO 2.0 although I don't SOTA will become that, though very close spec wise.

postulio, BillRoy and Archaaz like this.
  5. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    I chose option 4 as well. I am intrigued by this new system, and curious to see how it will work (though I was put off by it at first). It has a a lot of plusses, catering to different playstyles, and not really being terribly restrictive.

Otpion 1:
    When I first discovered the game, I admit that I was indeed hoping for Ultima 2. I do prefer a sandbox environment over something more linear, so option one is appealing. Yet, I find that my style of play and preferences have changed a bit over the years. I have never been a PvPer, but enjoyed the thrill of it being present and the risk of full loot. PvP and full loot bring a lot to the table, yet, to be honest, I personally could take it or leave it at this point. I also prefer to be surrounded by roleplayers (albeit a more casual variety), and dislike things that break my immersion, which for me includes being predominately surrounded by those who play it more as a game (just a personal preference, no style of play is bette rthan another). Basically, I like to be around players who play to the general, overreaching lore, stay in character, and have RP-style names. I think option 4 might provide a way to make that happen, by pairing me with people with similar tastes, and allow the same for others. There is a host of more sandbox oritented games on the horizon as well (what I would want out of Star Citizen for example, would differ quite a bit from what I want from SotA).

Option 2:
    I greatly enjoyed the original Ultima series (though I never made it further than Ultima 5, hoping to try Ultima 6 or 7 soon), and would love a new single player experience similar to those classics, and feel that the Single Player Offline mode will offer this. I do lament the fact that the original Ultima lore cannot be used, as I very much like it, and the original world of Sosaria and Britannia, esp. Ultima IV an V era (the specifics: the Virtues, the Professions , the general look and feel). With Tracy Hickman on board, the writer of Dragonlance (my favorite fantasy settting, well it is a toss up between Krynn and Britannia), I think that the single player aspect will be fantastic, and will recapture the old feel of the single player Ultimas, albeit with a different lore. This in itself would probably be enough for me, as much as I enjoy the MMORPG experience of interacting with others.

Option 3:
    I prefer a more populated world, albeit one that is somewhat filtered by the matching system. It still allows for a sort of songle player co-op experience, but allows for other types of play as well. I felt Wow, the only other MMORPG I have played to any real extent other than Pre-T2A and T2A Ultima, felt more or less like a single player co-op than an actual MMORPG.

Notes:
    I do have some concerns in general about option 4, specifically how they will marry the single player experience with the various other online modes, and how much of the single player storyline will bleed over into online play, and in what manner. It is an interesting juggling act. Also, I wonder about the economy. I need to know more about the specifics before I can make a firm judgement on these and certain other issues.

I guess, in general, I would prefer that the single player (hopefully non-linear) storyline experience were separate from online play (I understand that it will be to a degree, but I mean like an almost totally different game), and that online play were a bit more of a sandbox, based on and influenced by the lore, with the matching system in place, and optional PvP, allowing those how like it to enjoy it, and those who do not to refrain. Likewise, those who enjoy RP could do so with likeminded people, and those who do not would be matched to similarly minded individuals, and so on. Everyone finds their niche. Everybody wins.

BillRoy and Devoid like this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Kinda of a weird poll. Wouldn't we want the game that was advertised? Especially since some of us heavily invested in the concept.

9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I've read numerous posts from backers who vehemently insist the game should be different than advertised (no overhead map; open world pvp; open sandbox; etc.) I was happy to see this poll done.. and thrilled to see that the vast majority of backers are behind the game "as is".

rild, skinned and Koldar like this.
  10. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Yes, all 15 of them!
    ^.^

BillRoy likes this.
  11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

@Devoid: So Far, So Good

12. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

Voted number 1, as that is what i would go for if it was my choice. But Im also ok with number 4.

BillRoy likes this.
  13. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

UO 2.0

(voted option 1, totally cool with option 4 too)

OSullivan, licemeat and BillRoy like this.
  14. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

Omg I really really hope SOTA isnt going to be another Wow! The reason UO Was so great is because it was a Sandbox NO Level based game. Meaning your skills were the focus of the game, if I have to go back to a Level based grind I doubt ill play Sota. I know alot of people who have signed up for SOTA expecting it to be a Sandbox.

TigerKhan likes this.
  15. Sir Edreamer _MGT470

Sir Edreamer _MGT470 Avatar

Perfect just the way it is

16. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I really hope its going to be a video game.

17. Skizz

Skizz Avatar

As a UO player, I've always wanted an improved version, but SotA don't necessarily needs to be a copy or a simple wowish game by the fact of be online. I also enjoy offline games. I tend to be unsociable and yet sometimes I have those moments where I feel I want to RP with my friends or meet new people and this "selective" model I think is ideal as it includes all styles in one. Nobody forces you to play with those people you don't want to, and you can enjoy the benefits of a mmog.

18. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

#4 because they impressed me with UO, which was a new gaming idea of its time. So once again they are trying something new and not the same as all the other RPG and MMO's out there, so I want to see what they come out with. As far as we know it could be the new game that can't be matched, just like UO was (without being UO). UO was such a good game that people want a modern version of it... but I think the possibility of something better is out there and you will only find it by thinking outside the box and exploring like they are.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think SotA is being developed as UO2. If you want to call it something else that's fine, but it sure looks like what I picture UO 2 to me. Basically it comes down to however you want to define it. Big deal. People saying NOT UO2 I agree with you I don't want a UO clone. I want UO2! lol

postulio likes this.
  20. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

absolutely!

please give us UO 2.0

Sir Stile Teckel and jondavis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.