i my opinion it is false advertising

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rufio, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vjek

vjek Avatar

It doesn't matter if it's one or one hundred players on the screen, latency is always a problem in persistent multiplayer online games.

You can't beat the laws of physics. Transmission of electricity through copper, and propagation delay add up to some pretty large numbers, in practice. Even if the computers at either end weren't contributing to the latency, which they are, from Layers 4 through 7.

BillRoy and Koldar like this.
  2. Ara

Ara Avatar

If you have 40 or 80 ping is very little difference in practic. I played to many of these games to see ping as a problem nowadays. Even with +150 it is easy to compete in most games.

3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

You had to throw osi into it. ;)

Why? Why did you have to do that? Oh, the humanity! I must cease reading the forums for a while and cleanse my memory of osi.

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I don't want to play an RPG that's based on who has the fastest twitch. Your presumption Ara is that this is what combat should be about. Why not have a game that actually engages the brain and requires some strategy? PvE'ers (and I don't think these categories are helpful) might be more skilled than PvP'ers, or at least not at a disadvantage, if combat actually engaged the brain.

I think that's what most people want in SoTA. If I was a fast-twitcher I'd buy a console and play all those wonderful FPS.

5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Yes, but between 80 and 120 there is a definite issue and thanks to games like Mechwarrior Online where you can actively monitor ping times I have seen a lot higher ping times then that.

I know personally I see between 120-180ms and you CAN TELL the difference!!

vjek likes this.
  6. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

Indeed.

Twitch is a type of skill, but it's not the only type of skill, and it's not necessarily the best one to base combat around.

There's discussion on this elsewhere on the boards: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/hybrid-combat-system.1833/

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

It's going to be interesting to see how this client-based server style will work with people in other countries as far as ping goes. Many people in countries like Australia and Asia have ping issues on American servers, but being that this single server at the Portalarium offices will only be used for security and client identification, how will their ping react over the large client network?

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Myrcella hands Rufio a dagger and says with a smile:

"Stick ‘em with the pointy end"

9. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Don't give him Needle!

Myrcella likes this.
  11. vjek

vjek Avatar

QoS on ATM, MPLS, or Ethernet, in practice, is "used" in two ways, that I've seen, since commonly available for carriers:

Used on networks that never exceed 50% utilization, and thus, is pointless because it doesn't add any value.
    Used on network links that regularly exceed 80% utilization, and thus make customers very very angry.

In short, QoS is a pipe dream (ha! get it! pipe... dream... what?) , and proper capacity planning is required, regardless. Unless you're outside north america and can afford to have very very angry customers because you're the only ISP in the entire country.

Finally, every link on the path must respect QoS, which is almost never true. Given most transit and/or peering links are ultimately between competitors, it's unlikely that's ever going to change.

12. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

The point of quic is to disregard conventional layer separation and thereby prevent latency that accumulates due to layers that "wait on each other" or could react differently if they only "knew wtf is happening in lower layers". This has an impact on QoS (or QoE) but this impact does not come from some QoS tinkering via priorization in routing or switching nodes.

13. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

Ping is less noticable on the client as we don't wait for server updates to take our next step. If you set up two PCs to log into an MMO such as EQ2 or Guildwars 2 however, and jump with one character and look at it from the other screen there is a noticeable time difference. The lower the ping, the less the difference.

Compare this with the same setup on a lan connection and you will most definitely notice the difference.

I have a 60ms ping to most places these days but some games, especially with services hosted in america, I still notice a 200-300ms ping sadly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.