What kind of Roleplay Guild or Character will you be playing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mystic, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

UO was full of some amazing roleplay groups of both races despite for a long time only being able to pick a human character or being part of Ultima lore and careers.

Race wise, I remember there were orcs, elves, undead, and I seem to remember gargoyles but I don't think that one ever really took off.

Career wise, pirates of course were some of the best RPers I ran across who remained in human form. There were formal armed guards guilds with knights and whole heirarchy systems which I'm sure many of you ran across people in towns wearing all the same uniforms. There were merchant/craft guilds that actually roleplayed their characters well in game.

Then of course the rp guilds which really served no purpose other than as a group who talked in old english in their player establishments.

So to you roleplayers, what are your plans thus far?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

We didn't talk in old english.. but we made difference while we were there. We held tournaments, knighting ceremonies, pilgramages to shrines and I hope to carry on similiar traditions in SotA as a guild of knights. Though I'm currently waiting for alpha before making specific plans.

Mystic likes this.
  3. Elbregan

Elbregan Avatar

Mystic, I am so glad you ask! :)

I know it may sound like a trope or some folks will say it has been done to death. But I LOVE the befuddled old wizard. "FizzBan Lives!"

I have always like the detail of Lord British's magic systems. The spell books, reagents and clothmaps were alway very immersive to me. I hope to recreate a character inspired by some of my favorite old casters from books and movies like the Radagast(from Hobbit movie), Fizzban etc... An old man who might throw a snowball instead of a fireball or vice versa! He claims to have a very powerful spell, but can’t remember the name – “Tire-wall… Liar-small… Criers-ball? Oh well, it’ll come to me…” Presto from the old D&D cartoon is a bit too random for me but I would like have a bit of mystery about magic where its not a batttlesystem of stats but acting out a scene.

I am hoping to find ways to make my house seem eccentric and strange. It would be great to have it cluttered with items of alchemy and just junk :) And I hope I can remember where it is!

4. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

That's awesome! Always love to see originality.
    I remember from Catskills, there was a guy who would often be around Brit and with him was a chicken. He took that chicken everywhere with him. It was quite comical to watch.

5. Elbregan

Elbregan Avatar

Thanks!

May I ask..What is "The Order of the Black Shroud"?

6. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I think I'm going to be a cook haha.... I remember the first time I played UO about 10 years ago, I was kindling a fire and cooking meat when my best friend showed me how it worked, and I couldn't stop! haha that's what I enjoyed about UO, was that you could do things that you are limited to in other multiplayer world games..... I am anxious to see this game in it's entirety next fall.

Goblin King and Elbregan like this.
  7. Elbregan

Elbregan Avatar

You're so right. It's the details that make it another world.

TigerKhan likes this.
  8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

It's an anti-virtue guild my friend is making: The Order of the Black Shroud

9. Elbregan

Elbregan Avatar

Well sir...

I have never heard of such misguided goals! Why in my day folks didn't just go around following anti-virtues. They worked and fought hard and appreciated the values and benefits of wholesome, virtous lives. I can't think of a single mother that would want their son or daughter to grow and pursue anti-virtues. Now I want you to go sit by the fire until it burns low and think about what you have done. When you are done you just come back and let me know that you are done with this sillyness and that you are ready to get back on right path.

We will bring back these forgotten and forsaken virtues I tell you, it's never too late to turn around.

This reminds me of a story about a young man who....now what was his name?....hmmm. it doesn't matter, now he was like you except he wanted to pursue clockmaking, or was it pottery? oh yes it was blanket weaving. His mother was named Elana, and she was something else I tell you, so pretty. And she lived over by the mill and that miller owes me money. I ought to go see him. It was payment for getting rid of those rats that were getting into the mill grain. I don't care for rats especially big rats. Why once I saw a rat as big a cow! Vicious bugger too. Tried to eat me. But I was too quick for him you see. You have to be quick out there I tell you. Or you will get hurt.

Yes so like I said, don't be so durned slow. Pick yerself up, Get some speed about yerself and stop dallying.

So be quick or get eaten by a big rat. Now there you go, your problem is solved. And you're welome by the way.

Goblin King and Devoid like this.
  10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

*looks up from his anvil and squints, peering through the heat shimmer coming from his forge at the old wizard who seems to be pestering him. He grunts once, taking his hammer and brings it down on the red hot steel in a threatening fashion then looks back to the wizard*

Some words are best spoken using none at all. lol ;)

BillRoy and rild like this.
  11. Elbregan

Elbregan Avatar

"You know, I just remembered. I left a potion brewing back at my place. I better get back and check on it."

*gathers robe and starts shuffling off, muttering to himself*

"These kids today...no patience for good stories I tell you. Just no patience."

BillRoy likes this.
  12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

It's a good question, but one I'll be waiting to decide. One reason is the story and lore are important to me so I want to know how my character fits into the world not just into a guild or a style of play.

rild and Devoid like this.
  13. E n v y X I I I

E n v y X I I I Avatar

Me and my brothers used to roleplay theives, all of us had a thief character called Justin all dressed the same and all in the same faction, it used to confuse the hell out of people we were stealing from, we used to steal from people and give it to "young" players

14. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I agree completely with Vyrinor. Although I am just itching like crazy to get some lore so I can begin forming my character and think of a good name for him.

rild likes this.
  15. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

That is rather witty to come up with that, I like that! But I'm surprised you could all give your toons the same name, all the games I know of only allow for unique names.

16. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Red curls slide out from beneath an emerald cloak as the hood nestles at the petite lady's neck. She looks at the strange blue of Mystic's cloak with interest. Puzzling at his words, she is not certain how she might answer, though she would be helpful. The mage Elbregan reminds her first of Nystul, but then her thoughts turn to another mage who was her dear friend. A smile plays about her mouth.

The conversation takes her back through memories of some battles, some rescues, a certain 'Black and White Ball' event, and some somber moments in time. Her brow furrows slightly at Mystic's allegiance to 'anti-virtues', and marvels again at the differences in people. A look out the window lets her see marvelous things waiting in the new land where Lord British will be, and she sighs longingly for new adventure.

Elbregan and nightshadow like this.
  17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I suppose I have lots of fragments of ideas. But we don't really know anything about the lore at this time. Is there one source of "bad" in the world, or are their many kingdoms with questionable motives? Is the land as culturaly diverse as Ultima IV-VI where every city had its own culture, professions and religion? Is magic ubiquitous or is it something which has been lost to the world and much be reacquired slowly? I could make something up, but it would likely change given any information about the game.

18. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Similar to what Wyse wrote above mastering life and death magic (for the purpose of healing and resurrection) and having alchemy as the trading skill, but instead of playing a wizard, I think I'd like to play as a country doctor residing in a Knight's castle in some village, helping those in need of my skills whether (hero, criminal, or average Joe/Jane).

Goblin King and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  19. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

I have always enjoyed how Lord British's games have always encouraged us to simply be ourselves. So that's exactly who I will be. My character will have the same values and attributes to myself... of course with that little extra boost based on how I perceive myself. ;)

This is why I'm excited to see how the lore ties in. In Ultima the Avatar (you/me) was always you/me. So how will I enter New Britannia?

BillRoy likes this.
  20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I am still waiting on more of the game mechanics and story to be released before I decide how I will be in game. I am learning toward spellcasting, but that could only be because of what has been released thus far. Since I am planning on playing SOTA for a long time I am not wanting to rush into the decision.

skinned, rild and AvatarAcid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.