Tera like combat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mekong, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Latency isn't a problem in single player offline mode ;)

It even somehow looked more fun than what we have now :p

2. Womby

Womby Avatar

So living in Australia I should stick to crafting? We'll see. I've successfully played Battlefield 4 from Australia (albeit not as a sniper), and the targets in SotA have so far been far less mobile and a lot closer. I'll make a point to test this thoroughly and provide feedback.

3. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Hahaha oh yes how could I forget! Ironically you really can't tell if that's a really slow "action" combat or if it's a really slow auto attack.

Definitely don't see any glyphs or any other resemblance to what we currently have.

Beyond the prototype video, was the combat system outlined specifically in the Kickstarter? I ask because it was suggested that Portalarium is not fulfilling the promise from Kickstarter by changing the combat.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I thought about how an active combat with active targeting could work together with the deck system. I posted this some time ago, but couldn't find it anymore.

So I think that the hotbar should be removed completely. Instead we have 3-4 cards (that really look like cards) showing up during combat. Those cards are randomly chosen from our deck. We can now choose one of the cards when we have enough focus, thus using this special attack or we can discard a card so that a new one is chosen. By reducing the amount of cards to 3 - 4 we could focus a lot more on the active combat and just use the cards when we really need them for special attacks.

But we won't have all of the 3 -4 cards available to us. We have to gather focus during the fight. For a certain amount of focus one card is becoming available. If we choose to use it then the focus is spent and we have to accumulate new focus so that another card is drawn. If we don't spend the focus then a second card becomes available, and a third and a forth. If we discard a card the focus is not spent but a new card is drawn.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I guess "stick to kickstarter promises" is some kind of a mantra this days. I'm not really sure what's a promise and what's not, but i dug up some info...

Could we consider stating that combat will be "akin to Ultima Online" is a promise? I must say i enjoyed UO a lot but its combat system wasn't one of my favourite features. This is the first post from Chris outlining combat (which i'm going to read right now! :p)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/

I really like that approach! In fact it seems to be in line with what Chris first stated. I do think there are better ways to show the special attacks than with cards (the Hearthstone back makes me cringe) but besides that i think it's really cool.

6. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon

Maybe something in the Focus school that lets you intensify glyphs by increasing focus cost and reduces the amount of glyphs/cards you can load in your deck?

However, I'm not a fan of being in a situation where the outcome of my combat encounter, and especially in pvp is determined by luck. I like to have access to situational skills and use them in the appropriate situation.

7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I'm worried how this will be compatible with the 10-slots RANDOM skill thing.

I'm not seeing myself moving my fingers away from WASD to click "9" or "0". It works for 1-4, maybe 5, but for 6+ I want to be able to use the mouse.

And combos/stacks: do NOT force me to use R+keys, please - I heartily hate it.

Alternatively, offer insane discounts on Razer Naga (like -70%), and we're friends, kthxbye.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

A locked deck would be possible, too. Just like Katrina said I think that it is hard to keep track of a skillbar with 10+ skills while having to actively aim and strike. So I think it should be reduced to about 4 skills. But this would also mean that the skills should be something special, something I innovatively call "special attacks" ;)
    It wouldn't matter if those skills are randomly chosen by the deck system or if they would be locked. By reducing the amount of skills available on screen during combat, combat would also get more tactical as we would have to choose more carefully which skills to "lock".

9. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

i allways hoped we would get an more aktiv combat system like that

fantalio and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

the perfect combat system for chrises random deck system would be from xenoblade

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Meh.
    Will give it a try but meh.

Lord Baldrith, Chatele and Ice Queen like this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Not sure what this is, but im a 100% (ok 80%+ tbma) mouse mover. I hope this dont break anything for me.

I guess as long as I dont have to WASD ill give it a shot .

Edit :: man that tera game looks awesome. Might have to try that lol.

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

Will be intresting to see hope will be possible to control stuff using several options (mouse/keyboard+more?)
    How will this change monster's AI?

Chatele likes this.
  14. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I wasn't a big fan of Tera's combat. I really don't like the thought of playing Sota with that type of combat. Disappointed to see this. I'll try it out, but I'm not looking forward to it at all. :(

15. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

this is what me and a few of my circle were talking about, make SOTA combat more position and strategy and AI more opportunistic to take advantage of bad choices

I know its off topic but that's all I wanted to say, now back to your regularly scheduled debating and complaining. . . . .

16. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

Praise the Sun!

Malcipher likes this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I missed something big... and this sounds scary, but I am very excited to try a new way of combat! I mean, it works now, but it' still not fun enough. Add fun to combat, grinding becomes fun!

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I don't think we'll have much to lose. If it sucks, they can revert things back. If it's awesome, then :D

Fister Magee likes this.
  19. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Considering how much some people hate TERA combat, devs could compromise SOTAs combat and make it a hybrid between what it is now, and evade control from TERA, similar to GW2. Each mob has a special that they perform on regular basis, and player is given a couple of seconds to react and evade. If they fail - they will get hit hard by the special, if they react - battle continues as normal until the next boss' special, player evade etc etc. The evading should also consume some focus.

This will not make combat completely action based, but will also require some attention from the player. more than it is now. I also agree that with current deck system, action combat doesn't make much sense. Evasion mechanics is a good compromise, but I wonder what will be more heavy on scripting - change combat and deck system to accommodate fast paced TERA like combat, or add new evasion skill, new player animation, and give each mob some special and a new animation,

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. Womby

Womby Avatar

Sounds like it might be a good way to address the use of bots as well.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.