Tera like combat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mekong, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

That's fair.

2. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

I love it, it adds a need of skill aspect to the game. Im all for tera based fps hybrid type combat system.

Hornpipe, KuBaTRiZeS, Abydos and 2 others like this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Im for Tera like targetting system.

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think this combat system looks good, but ive never played Tera so id be interested in hearing what made it so bad for you @Mekong. Im definitely NOT a pvp player and currently i feel like combat is such a waste because im constantly looking at the hotbar mashing buttons. Is this type of combat geared towards a controller?

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Thumbs up for Tera combat.

6. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, please be respectful in your differences of opinion. Cleaning some posts out.

7. Noric

Noric Avatar

Not directly familiar with tera - however i hate tab based combat with a passion.

Abydos likes this.
  8. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Darkfall PvP .... meh. It just seems very simplistic and boring to me. No real combos .. just point and click and stuff dies from long range or you follow your opponent hacking and slashing them.

In Shadowbane here was my typical attack combo with my rogue assassin:

Switch to precise stance.
    Snare/Poison DoT
    Long range stun
    Sprint up to my opponent
    Defense debuff
    Crushing Damage Expose
    Stealth
    Physical Backstab (crushing damage)+Bleed hp regen debuff blackstab (curable poison based blackstab)
    Power Block
    Blindness (-50% atk/def) or Shadow Mantle (blocks healing unless dispelled)
    Weapon Power bleed
    Direct damage nukes (cold based single target damage) and passive attacks and procs!
    If opponent isn't dead, wait for opponent's stun immunity to wear off, (1 sec stun = 3 sec stun immunity...count backwards in your head from initial stun attack) stun again and attack, or stealth.

So I guess my point is... I hope we strive for a combat system that has a bit of complexity to it compared to the way Darkfall looks.

Jack Knyfe likes this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Tera targeting is cross-hairs in the middle of the screen. But I hope to see more than just that. A great number Tera attacks include movement in them as well. One my favorites leaps over foes in front of you so you quickly attack from behind. When the MOB turns around, repeat.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. Noric

Noric Avatar

Ground pound might be used to recreate a similar effect in sota.

(and i mean now, considering ground pound stops collision detection for a time)

Tahru likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I played WoW for longer than I want to admit and I tried everything to make the combat better. It wasn't that there wasn't enough spells, the key problem was that the MOB's would just instantly turn 180 degrees and you could walk though them. There was no reward for close combat tactics related to movement unless you were playing the aggro game in a party. Tera works because the MOB's do not turn on a dime and there are tells for the big attacks.

Moiseyev Trueden and Malcipher like this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd prefer to see a cross between tera and GW2 type active combat systems. maybe give my mouse hand a break (cubital tunnel syndrome, advanced).. tera's was interactive and interesting and you did not stare at a deck...but gw2 was FUN

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The more active the better. I would prefer something like in Skyrim.
    But I guess everything is better than a lame, boring hotbar combat system.

Wilfred, Sir_Hemlock, Tahru and 6 others like this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

Given the choices of:
    Tera vs. tab targeting? Tab targeting please.
    Why? The deck / random-keypress system.

These two things ( a random hotbar & best-guess target reticle) do NOT go together. At all. In any way. Unless your target demographic is 13 to 19 year olds. In which case, it's your investment capital to burn lighting cigars. :)

There are a very large number of ways to make combat interesting, dynamic, rewarding, challenging, and yes, even random in an innovative and mentally challenging way. But not the UI. And not targeting. That's the realm of First Person Shooters. Those better ideas? They're all on these forums, right now, for anyone to read. Data mine your own knowledgebase and get some practical implementations from 2-3 years ago. They're better than this idea.

And I'll just add this other tidbit in for everyone who wants TERA targeting. It is extremely vulnerable to high latency. In a big way. All hits must be verified by the server, and as a result, this type of combat is extraordinarily prone to negative consequences in high latency environments. You know why these games worked well in Japan/ South Korea? Because their countries are less than 400km in diameter and half that covers >80% of their population. Try ten times that diameter for North America and see how well you hit your opponent in Florida when you're in Alaska, or even your New York opponent while you're in Los Angeles. Doesn't matter? Does matter. In TERA. Today.

Hate it. Don't want it. Don't do it, Portalarium. You've had broken glyphs & innates in your half-implemented combat/deck system for months, with things that aren't even going to be close to finished by July 28th. Don't take this on, you're just begging for a disaster. Post launch, a change this large would gut the game faster than the NGE did to SWG.

FrostII, Duke Albert, Lace and 4 others like this.
  15. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Well... Considering they are putting it on test as early as Friday it's a safe bet they have been working on it for a while already. So it's too late to not take it on. I am curious to see how it is implemented.

My personal opinion of the combat system to date is its suffering from an identity crisis. I feel like they could never quite decide what direction to go so they half assed it in all of them. The availability of both auto attack and a manual "action" attack is a prime example. Neither one feels really good.

Ice Queen, Katrina Bekers and agra like this.
  16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Im for the change. Ive asked for more skill based combat

17. Womby

Womby Avatar

This may be a bit of a ramble, but the only non-firearm game combat that I've really enjoyed was after several hundred hours of playing Skyrim. It got to the stage where I could climb a mountain overlooking a fort, and while gazing down on the small figures of the guards patrolling below, aim my bow above and ahead of each patrolling guard. I would kill him with a silent clean shot from far away, then watch it again in slow motion replay. That was fun because it required skill, and if I wasn't careful I missed. If that happened the guards would all come out and try to hunt me down, destroying any chance at stealth. That's kind of important if your intent is to kill every occupant of a fort through stealth, and added an extra level of excitement.

I dislike using a bow that doesn't have an aiming reticle, arrow travel time and arrow drop due to gravity. That's why in SotA I have rejected archery and just use a two handed axe. The kind of skill that I like is in how I use a weapon, not how I build my skill tree or how I choose my deck. Then again SotA is my first multiplayer RPG so there is bound to be some culture shock.

Relevant part at 2:12

Wilfred, helm and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I'm interested in trying this but I fear if we're required to fully target everything we're moving more towards and FPS and I'm not really a fan of that but I'll give it a try I trust the devs. I'm a fan of the UO style targeting but don't mind stuff like Phantasy Star Online 2 that's basically made to be played on a controller but also works well as a keyboard.

This looks interesting so we'll see.

19. agra

agra Avatar

I completely agree with the blue-highlighted bit, especially.

Not what people signed up for in the Kickstarter, and I hate to keep saying that, but it has to be said, pre-launch. Adding yet another half-baked and demonstrably inappropriate targeting system, given the half-baked solutions already kinda sorta not finished to this half-baked cake?
    Recipe (hey, look what I did there!) for disaster.
    Change whatever you want, post-launch, Portalarium. Until then, stick to the Kickstarter goals, otherwise every massive change you make ( like this idea) is just an insult to all those backers, and mocks the money they pledged in good faith that you would keep your word.

20. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Did they even have a combat system in the Kickstarter? I thought the whole deck system came about after development started

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.