Tera like combat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mekong, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I think both games are good at different things. The FPS world is great at long ranged combat situations... console based fighting games are a good display of up close combat situations with somewhat complex looking combos. I need to give Black Desert (edit) a try.. it was the game I planned on moving to after Shadowbane mainly because of the siege warfare. But the idea of trying another restrictive class based game puts me to sleep.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Leelu likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So for clarification, just because I referred to Tera doesn't mean we're completely changing everything. The old camera and interaction mode will be intact by toggling interactive mode. If you do that (currently by tapping left ctrl) then you will move exactly as you do now, the camera will move the same with holding down right button, short range attacks behave exactly like they did, and the only difference is there is no tab targeting or click targeting. Also, it probably feels closer to Black Desert than Tera to be honest.

RidicOne, As for whether or not it is too close to final wipe to make this change, are you new here? :p First, this change needed to be made or we needed to go back to very old school, pure tab targeting for everything. The current hybrid system of most short ranged stuff is directional based and ignores selected targets and then at some fuzzy point, things become purely selected target based. So some change had to be made and we decided to consolidate all logic to what most modern RPGs do rather than trying to take a step back to WoW style targeting.

Also, just a reminder, final wipe does not suddenly mean the game becomes stagnant. This is a pretty big change so we wanted it in several months before final wipe to make sure we have it cleaned up. BUT if something huge like this came up post final wipe and it was obvious that fixing it would make the game better, we would do it. We've said all along that final wipe is just what its name suggests, the final wipe. We are not going to claim things are going to be 100% balanced or that skills won't change after that date. We're promising to not delete characters and if anything, we'll be more agile and fix things faster. We have a lot of features but new ideas for how to make the game better come up daily and we will act on them!

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

BDO combat is the most fun ive had in a while and even though id like that here i wonder how easy it would be to get working effectively.
    We have a couple of issues why i don't think it would work particularly well here.
    In BDO i am amazed how fluid everything is in the game, with hundreds of people running about, and npc's and all the effects that are happening. I don't know much how it is at the moment but when pvp started here it was very rubber bandy, and we still have issues with lag/stutter etc even when there's no one else about. Added to that the European/restworld players connecting to the servers will always be at a disadvantage in combat reliant on timing and speed. Many releases ago we were encouraged to stand still in combat and gain buff's, i always thought the reasoning behind that was that the code/servers couldn't handle to much at once and if that's the reason then changing to more agile combat wont help matters.

Edit: I was fine with the hold down right mopuse button before playing BDo, it felt fine and normal to me and i couldn't understand why anyone moaned about it. Now playing here with the cursor on screen and the need to hold it down makes it all feel a little old and clunky, so this change is a great one.

Ice Queen and Cordelayne like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

Ok, well, you've just described changing quite a lot, if not 'everything' about the combat experience.

Two things.

This will not work well with the random deck system. Having to focus on lining up shots, while focusing on the deck, while moving, while avoiding, while trying to combo and stack glyphs? We're not octopus.

It's difficult, if not impossible, to reliably tell NOW that you're a) hitting your targets and b) facing your targets appropriately. With the current "I have no idea which way I'm actually facing or hitting" can we for the love of GOD please get some kind of constant visual indication of our swing arc, or which ****** direction we're facing when we're fighting? Just that one simple tiny thing? please? :mad: As it is now, without my need to be an octopus, I'm constantly trying to get my avatar to just face the freaking targets at all, without running into them, through them, or missing them!

5. cariac

cariac Avatar

+1 new targgetting system

CrazyPhil, Abydos and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. charock

charock Avatar

Double tap A and D will eventually be used for something.

Abydos and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Targeting is being reworked. ;) and I totally agree with all your rant.

FrostII, Noric and agra like this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

Awesome! I knew this game was heading somewhere with the introduction of the free-attack mode... Knowing that you guys are pushing to improve on that is reassuring!

CrazyPhil, Kendric Darrow and Chris like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This isn't Counterstrike, targeting is VERY forgiving. You don't have to have the reticule actually on them. Here is a screen shot of the debugging visual showing the actual target area for a bow. The only reason you might need to do actual, precise targeting is if there are two target right by each other and you want to make sure you hit one vs the other.
    [​IMG]

10. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

I’m very excited to test this out and give feedback, this will be an amazing change to the game if it works out and is properly implemented which I have no doubt it will be ;)

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like everything I'm hearing a lot...the one test I'm looking forward to the most is being able to double tap left, right, back (as opposed to running) out of that AOE and making someone miss with an attack. It seems like we should be able to get that timing right, no?

12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

This change will bring life and vitality to combat sytem .
    Good Job Chris !!!

13. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Cant say Im enthused by the idea, the targeting / facing needs some improvement but no mouse cursor action combat, really not sure its a fit with a ultima type game, will have to wait and see but this could break the game for so many people.
    Personaly I like to use the mouse for clicking and combo dragging, also press keys for the hotbars but no mouse by default, ugggg.

Duke Albert, Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

So, I have gotten used to drag and drop combos. With this, I will have to hit left control to turn on my mouse, lose my ability to position/ move while I stack combos (which can happen every couple seconds), then hit left control again to regain control for a couple seconds, until I need to stack again.

So mouse stacking is no longer viable.

Hitting "R" then the two buttons to stack forces the hand off movement buttons when stacking anything further right than the "5", maybe the "6" button. So, again, I lose the ability to move when stacking, albeit not as profoundly as when using mouse stacking.

So, this incentivizes auto attack even more so than the mouse stacking already does.

From a purely mechanical standpoint, it appears that the optimal combat set up to reduce hand movement and increase efficiency is to combo using "R" (or some other key bind, like middle mouse) and only stack with the 1-5 keys. Leaving the 6-10 for static glyphs. This set up allows the most freedom when deciding whether to use auto or free attack.

That's my purely design input.

GreyMouser2, agra, Lace and 1 other person like this.
  15. Noric

Noric Avatar

@Chris if these changes go through, will there be any plan to update our AoE spells from almost all being big circles?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

@Chris : When can we test ?

Important
    With the dynamism of this system, RUN must be bind to SHIFT key.
    It's a bit like universal operation :D

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like Star Wars Battlefront controls. Can we switch to that? ;)

KuBaTRiZeS and Fister Magee like this.
  18. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Hnnnnggghhhhh!!!! I'm so freakin' excited!!!! :D

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

I will judge it when I can test it, not before.

Now the question, will this mean that we wont see arrows flying in curves anymore? Will the arrow still follow me if it was shot while I was targeted or will it fly straight? And spells?

20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

@Chris black desert looked a lot better than terra but I haven't played enough of either to say I like the style or not. I'm interested to see how it goes. I really enjoy tab targeting and feel like it helps a lot but I guess we'll see how this new system turns out.

By switching to this new system would it make it easier to allow controller support? I would be very very happy if we got actual controller support for the camera. A while back I kind of jimmy rigged the game to use a controller and it worked fairly well except the camera was really the biggest downfall. There are enough buttons to have a controller mode that works well enough with the hot bar to use. Once controller support is enabled on PC it's not hard at all to stream to Android devices like my tablet or Nexus Player and enjoy the game in a more console-like experience. I know DarkStarr said he really wanted SotA on consoles hopefully by Episode 2 but it wouldn't be bad to think about controller support early on while you're redesigning the controls anyways. I know Unity just added a new input system I'm not sure if you're using it at all or if it would make things easier to do or not.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ancev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.