Disappointed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drakin316, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I haven't seen any rewards that are pay to win. I'm not beating you in PVP with any reward. I'm not beating you in a dungeon with any reward.. these are mostly "comsetic" He has been pretty upfront that he intends to sell in game items that aren't pay to win similar to a guildwars 2 or league of legends style. League of Legends you can earn points and slowly buy heroes or you can pay real money to unlock tons of heroes right away.. Just playing for a little while each day you can easily get all the "best" heroes...

So far I don't see him breaking his promise that there will be no pay to win.. everything so far has been a nice thing to have, but wont help me in my crafting or killing... (oh wait.. those crafting stations.. hmm.. well you'll have access to crafting stations too, just wont be located conveniently at your house until you can buy one with in game money if you dont want to shell out $500)

2. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I think it is a good idea that he is allowing people to donate to develop the game because we get to give our 2 cents as to what we would like to see in the game, I know this does not mean that the little people's opinions are all going to be answered and ideas will be used, but we know that a corporation isn't rushing this game out where there will be bugs and no one will play it. I already pledged money and can't wait for the alpha game to come out this december.

3. EVL Treasurer

EVL Treasurer Avatar

I see the OP's comments as flawed. Can someone tell me what part of pledging is considered "pay to win"? Unless I'm mistaken most things rewarded for pledging are house and property related. Not sure how thats pay to win, no one's getting the dragon slaying sword or the armor of omnipotence. The game is no where near release and you're complaining?

Since the OP is so knowledgeable, perhaps he could explain to everyone a better way on how RG was supposed to feed his family and hire a staff while making this game for us to play?

See unlike the OP, I am well pleased in the direction I see SoTA going.

Signed,

Looooong Term UO player, since my Commodore 64!

Isycle likes this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

*sigh*

So, there are people that grumble about plots being used to raise funds. That's been part of the deal from the beginning, and people have no right to complain about it.

So, now we have special houses and village plots being added to the online store, providing a less expensive option, and people still complain.

Pay-to-win? Nonsense.

Koldar, rild and Deliverence like this.
  5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

The point that makes the pledge plots somewhat pay-to-win is the vendor that doesn't charge a commission. This means that anyone that is Citizen or above can undercut other players by the amount the vendor would charge while keeping the same profit margin. This becomes even more troublesome for those that consider the market a form of PvP.

The two fruits and the lack of rent are lesser forms of pay to win; they translate to the equivalent of a stipend, but the effects seem to be small enough to not create meaningful harmful effects.

The rest doesn't seem to be pay to win in any shape or way.

Sir Stile Teckel and Mordecai like this.
  6. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

There are definitely pay-to-win elements in the pledge rewards (to name a few, commision-free vendors, crystal swords, immortality fruit seeds, expert-level crafting stations, and maybe the darkstar moondial). You don't literally win, except in games where P2W elements are broken, but you do get rewards that are valuable beyond their aesthetic worth. I understand the OP's frustrations, and yet I support the pledge system. I've told myself that its an ideal pledge system, but even if it isn't, the P2W elements are a minute price to pay to redefine how games are funded and made.

7. Kallendal

Kallendal Avatar

hmmm

This is a great discussion.

Personally, for folks that make that good of a living.

PLEASE PLEASE keep the devs well fed, and healthy.

I want a good game, and that only comes from happy healthy devs.....

Feed them... my way of looking at it. They work hard for it.

Not like they are begging..., just entertaining.

Devoid and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  8. Ravel

Ravel Avatar

How do you know this?

BillRoy likes this.
  9. stile

stile Avatar

Because we know what they add to the game. And have had those things in other games, and because weve watched hundreds of hours (in some cases) of talks with devs and or asked the devs questions On shows ourselves.

nightshadow likes this.
  10. Ravel

Ravel Avatar

In other words, this information is not available to the general public, yet. Maybe this should be addressed, because people have learned to mistrust anything that vaguely reeks like pay to win.

11. Sir Ryan of Yew

Sir Ryan of Yew Avatar

I for one think this is a great way to fund game development... when the community has "skin in the game" they are much more apt to care about the game's success.

Link_of_Hyrule and rild like this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

As Earlier Posters Mentioned: Housing Is Not Pay To Win. They're Just Vanity Items. The More Money This Game Can Generate During The Developing Phase, The Better It Will Be. I Think Housing Is A Perfect Way To Do It.

Sir Stile Teckel, rild and Koldar like this.
  13. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

I understood that this game can be played either offline by oneself or online with other players. I am someone who will play offline by myself and I am sure the game would be more enjoyable if I had a house (that is my experience playing Skyrim). I was glad to make a pledge for $55 to help the game development, but I am not able to pay an additional $150 in real money for a village lot and house in a computer game. I am not angry or resentful, but it is disappointing that I won't get the full game experience.

14. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

You will be able to save up and buy a house in the game using in game gold (or what ever the cost is going for)

Sir Stile Teckel, rild and Koldar like this.
  15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Exactly what @Fifty said. You don't have to pay a penny extra to enjoy a house in game, either online or offline.

Paying with real money allows you to not have to save in-game currency to make the purchase. It is, essentially, instant gratification.

If you choose to play offline, you will actually have a better selection of properties because none of the lots will be taken by other players.

Either way to you play (online or offline), you can save in-game currency to make your housing purchase.

rild likes this.
  16. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

Thanks for correcting me! I just read something similar in another thread and was going to take back my original comment. I am delighted to learn that in the final game it will be possible to buy a house using virtual money earned in-game. I think I read somewhere that in the MMO version, real estate will be limited so that there won't be houses all over the countryside, but for someone playing alone offline this is not an issue.

rild likes this.
  17. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

You are correct. Housing will be limited...But :) (always a but) I do not think the total number of housing spaces is locked in yet and am sure (80%) that there will be more spaces that what the backers are buying at this time. So once the game comes out there will be people that can save up and buy a house.

Wow could have sound more unsure :)

rild likes this.
  18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

They also said additional housing will be opened up as the world expands each episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.