1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sure.. you said deco I would not consider a washing machine deco. But I like the idea if it has use it wears out. I.e. chests etc. How ever it has to be realistic a chest would last a very long time and the point would be mute.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Yah keep in mind "youz guyz" make these threads 30+ pages long in like one day, so its entirely too much to ask of someone to come in here and follow along. As for your statement, you are right - if the gold from a (G)COTO is a mere ~100 in-game-gold, thats not a problem, and the incentive to trade/sell to other players is a good thing. My knowledge at the time of posting was that one was selling for 2500gp, which is basically like buying in-game-gold online, which I am totally against. Buying significant quantities of in-game-gold (in a Port owned / sponsored marketplace) will ruin the game for sure.

If the gold returned from a (G)COTO NPC sale is low, however, then its all good - again keep in mind that I refuse to spend more of my time reading 30+ pages for threads that are 2 days old. Its a major time suck and prevents me from playing the game, though I am glad youre all so enthusiastic.

Time Lord and Snikorts like this.
  3. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Now, that's grinding that I was talking about :)

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So, I'm seeing lots of posts here that I feel I have to address:

Portalarium broke no promises. Even during the KS we said we were going to be closest to the GW2 model, pay once up front and play for ever.

If someone blames crowns on them losing in PVP then they are just looking for an excuse. We have been very careful not to attach them to things that impact combat. Even the 10% exp bonus is only worth a little under a level for the life of the game. The only place currently that it really benefits you is in keeping good gear around longer and we'll be evaluating that aspect in the weeks to come.

The gold value will be dropped on Tuesday morning's patch to 250 gold. If people are still selling them to merchants at a high rate after that, we'll drop it 100. No one in their right mind would pay $1 for 250 gold unless they were just trying to help us. With some grinders making 25k gold /hour, that equates to about $100/hour salary if they want to compete with us for gold sales. We're not trying to sell gold. Please stop suggesting that. AND if someone was crazy enough and did want to go spend $10,000 to buy 2.5mln gold, when you see them, say "Thank you!" instead of hating them because they just paid for another city scene, or 2 or 3 dungeons for the game or a completely new outfit for players to wear! We hire to match revenue and are public about all revenue and also hires. (BTW, new hire starts Tuesday to help with CS and QA!)

@Roper Docholiday , Holy crap, this is the type information that is constructive. Thanks for posting that. I think your numbers are a bit high and don't include salvaging the non-crits but that does put it into perspective. Agree completely that if the real in game cost is in that ballpark, that we need to look at some numbers. I think some of your estimates are off and also I think that the assumption that everyone in game will be wearing a set of perfect armor, is a bit off as well but still those numbers are sobering. I'll investigate this week.

Again, people's heads are exploding this and they really shouldn't be. This was a first stab at numbers and we had a lot of stuff come together all at once with the changes to crafting and crowns. If something needs to change, it will change. Post final wipe, there will be far fewer or possibly no changes as big as the ones the past 2 releases. Any significant changes after July will be far more heavily scrutinized and like be announced to the community far in advance to get feedback before the change.

Also, thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding on this stuff!

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

@Chris - The OP plainly states that the crowns can be exchanged for gold in-game - it's not much of a leap to think crowns are here as a way to purchase in-game currency direct through the add-on store.

From the OP: "Gold Crowns of the Obsidians are unique in that they can be sold to any merchant in game for gold and now, starting today, they can also be purchased directly from our website or through Add On Store Bundles like the new Viking 2-Story Row Home Bundle."

I see you want to flat rate Gold Crowns at 250 or 100 coins... I like the idea of Gold Crowns, but you've also stated that the player economy will set their price in game. How will Portalarium keep the price of Gold Crowns from creeping up to extraordinary levels once the economy comes online?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that if it's not Portalarium's desire to see Gold Crowns used as a path to in-game currency - the OP is causing a lot of confusion. The OP also says this about Gold Crowns: "As you have probably surmised, Gold Crowns function as a premium currency for Shroud of the Avatar." I apologize if this post reads like I'm hounding you guys, but there really is a disconnect somewhere on how Gold Crowns are meant to function in game.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Aldo likes this.
  6. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Even better, I can play a game AND donate money to charity.

7. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

@Chris
    My comment regarding broken promised was regarding tax free lots outside of pledges, not for the crowns.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I really don't have any issues with the selling of crowns.....they are after all just another item that is being sold on the addon store and indeed they can be traded between players just like all the other items on the addon store.

Nothing has changed.

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

These lots are pot only however. Also they said during a live stream that we'd be able to upgrade our tax free lots with gold in-game and keep tax free status but this hasn't been talked about more or happened yet.

Uncle Ben and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I actually really like the new packages aimed at new players. I also like the fact that they actively encourage players to live in PoTs. My only criticism is that the timing is off by a couple of months and there should be a more basic package (game, tax free pot row lot, basic 2 story row house) available for around $150.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I very vaguely remember that. Wow that was a long time ago and hope that remains true.

As for the broken promise I don't agree but I do think they're walking a very fine line on this one that was probably best avoided altogether. tax free lot != pot tax free lot. Take the promise in context of when it was made. Player towns didn't exist. It's a technical argument that probably no one will be happy with but the reverse is also true. Ignore context and technically a pot tax free lot is still a tax free lot. For many players there isn't enough of a difference for that distinction to matter.

Time Lord, Snikorts and Olddog like this.
  12. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I can only repeat myself.

It is a schroedinger cat. Technically it is not broken and still it is.

13. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I guess to me it's not an issue because pots aren't counted toward the total number of lots in game they are kind of their own separate area. But in the end they have to do things with in the limits of their promises that can make the game money similar games cost around $100 Million Dollars and we don't even have $10M yet.

GraveDncer likes this.
  14. Olddog

Olddog Avatar

Just logged into to all of this, is it true that you can buy power with the crowns and that pledges have been devalued again. Didnt this just happen to founder knights ohh yea I just got thier house for $50.

Will I be able to get the dukes house for crowns now?

Ill go back and try and read this but its confusing whats happening.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Nothing is really happening. Storm in a teacup

Siriustar, Womby, Koldar and 6 others like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Short answer.. no. At least not directly. Depending on how you want to rationalize.. you can buy a furniture set in the addon store.. sell it to another player for a bunch of gold.. take that gold and buy yourself a really cool sword and bam.. cash for power right? Yet no one is making a stink about furniture being sold in the store.

As a knight myself, my pledge was not devalued because the house being sold is not the house that's part of our pledge. Why anyone thinks their pledge is devalued because a house they rejected and wasn't being used is now available is quite beyond my comprehension. The knight's pledge hasn't changed in the slightest.

17. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

Or only allows the Pledge Tax Free Lot Deed to have the ability to be upgraded with in game gold. At least give the pledge tax free lot more value in that case (in addition to that you can use it in NPC towns).
    That is totally off the topic of course but just a thought.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Yeah that could be an option I feel that having a pledge should grant you transferable tax free status. I wish tax free status wasn't linked to the deed but was just a separate deed or item that would make it so much easier!

They could make an npc that moves the tax free endorsement from one deed to another for a high fee of gold or obsidian crowns.

The same vendor could provide other services like contracts between players for different purposes, turning gold into checks, and similar things and could be in the bank.

@Chris what do you think about this?

19. Sayumi

Sayumi Avatar

Skeketons and elves use crowns too? I don't pvp.

20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

All this talk about Gold Crowns just makes me want to buy more of them.
    [​IMG]

Womby, Cordelayne and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.