Gold Crowns and Crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dreamlarp, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Until COTO's start dropping more regularly in game, I don't want to see them do anything more for crafting or anything else for that matter.

Kaisa, 4EverLost and Aimend like this.
  2. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

It's not painful if you're a crafter who wants to be able to provide a service that is valuable and desired.

Not everyone should be able to do everything in a game. Especially when it comes to high level crafting. As far as I am concerned, crafting is still way too easy right now. Masterworking is the only thing that is gating the crafting profession.....and by gating I mean that something is going to be somewhat rare and retain value. Something that actually gives you a reason to be a crafter.

Your idea is better than the OP...but it still negatively impacts crafting as a profession. COTOs shouldn't be used for this.

Kal likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Since I'm a crafter in the game, and want to run a shop for it, I understand how much it would affect the profession. However, currently crafting is VERY painful, not only because failing masterwork destroys the item, but because the entire process is mind numbingly boring, requires mining regardless of specialization, and the crafted item pool is so shallow that stocking a vendor with a "wide variety" of items consists of eight of the same items with different masterwork bonuses.

Making masterworking less painful by allowing COTOs to preserve items on fail will not hurt the profession. Yes, there are a few who will "pay to win" in crafting, by using it as a skill-up process. However, that doesn't mean its invalid. A few more items with low bonuses show up in the market, but those are already being ignored on public vendors. What difference will those make, really? And once their skill is up, they will be no better off than someone who has done it "the right way".

Right now, the only reason to be a crafter is that you enjoy that characterization. Because crafting itself is not fun. I want it to be, and I'll keep doing it, but something has to give. The reason for crafting can't be tied to masterworking alone; one recipe among everything we do can't give our work meaning. The reason for crafting can't be tied to grinding gold and silver, when they are not even part of those crafting trees (or even make sense as part of them).

The only way we can make crafting work is for everything we craft to be useful. But there is no reason to make 90% of what we already have available to us. The only things I can get to sell consistently are storage decos, repair kits, and multiple masterworked gear.

So yeah, I want that last one to be less painful. At least I can try to make some gold as I go search for a few more trees before having to go back to the mines. For some reason.

4. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

Me either, Right now I have paid in as much as I want to for a while. Now I just want to play the game and enjoy it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I could get onboard with this.

Retro likes this.
  6. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

This could work without causing too much impact.

It would probably need to be a sliding scale to limit abuse. n x COTO for preservation where n is the number of enhancements already on the item. Instead of using COTOs directly, some other COTO derived material could be used. Obsidian Flux anyone?

Retro likes this.
  7. Kal

Kal Avatar

listen to Aimend.

the ideas presented in this thread are exactly how sandbox games get dumbed down into nothing. it's only a couple weeks into the game and you guys are already coming up with terrible ideas to destroy the entire crafting system. these kind of ideas should be totally dismissed.

for a sandbox to have value it needs to have very big challenges. otherwise there is no meaning.

Aimend likes this.
  8. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

This is not true. His idea was very good. But what you said is incorrect. We would still need to farm tons of silver and other ore to make the items then masterwork/enchant them. The coto would only stop the breakage.

Overall His idea was better than what I had thought from the start.You would still have to level the skill so you do not waist so many coto's and still spent countless hours grinding silver. (witch I think is way too off since it was stated before that they would not make us spend all our time gather grinding and since this game is stated to be crafter oriented that's just what is happening.)

Retro likes this.
  9. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

When you look at the real problem here it’s that this game is not a true “sandbox” the way it is. It’s a crafting theme park. Sandbox is not just about not having npc’s with ?’s or !’s above their heads leading you along. It’s about freedom to play the way you want to. There are many different play styles.

Yes, they promised that the best items in game would be craftable but that does not mean that the entire system should be all about crafting players. As it is now even the combat is just to help crafting. To keep their promise, they could implement a loot system that would give items as loot drop but still have the best stuff craftable. This would satisfy many of the kinds of play styles. Yes, it is super hard to make an item with the full 5 masterworks and 5 of the enchantments on them but that does not mean lootable items could not be say the max intensity of 3 to 4 of each. The craftable items would still be better than the lootable items at the top levels but all types of play would be represented.

My idea and his was to help ease the time players require at this time to have items with abilities on them. Games are Risk vrs reward/time vrs reward. At this time, they are only catering to one of these.
    At this time COTO's need to be fore all play styles.

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I reiterate, I think absolutely we need a way to prevent breakage outright, the breakage rates are far too high at gm skill level. The randomness is too high. You need to make 5 of everything to have a decent chance of getting the stats you want/not breaking it. Given the absurd material costs (40 ore for a ring! 500 cotton for a set of armor!) this escalates very quickly needing thousands of materials to make 1, single, outfit, that is close to what you'd hope to have.

I don't think this should be put behind a pay wall, but should be linked to player skill.
    I think the potion buffs from CoTO and the repairability is enough to ensure that people WILL buy them.
    I don't like seeing them linked to every other thing that could be fixed or made better for the player, adding another cash purchase as a requirement.

Gathering speed too slow? Pay money!
    Meticulous doesnt proc enough? Pay money!
    Gear broken? Pay money!
    Using too many spell regs? Pay money!
    Want to carry more? Pay money!
    we don't need
    Want to actually craft the stuff you want? Pay money!

It would get to the point where you'd need to buy crowns anytime you wanted to make something...just no no no.

Not necessary.
    No.

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Don't want to pay money?
    Earn them in game!

COTOs drop off mobs. I've gotten a couple since the last wipe. They are also fairly cheap to buy from other players. So "paywall" is not an argument.

Retro likes this.
  12. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

I have gotten one...ONE ..iron crown of the obsidians. The first drop was yesterday. I've crushed tons of mobs and farming nodes. Please don't say that getting crowns from world drops is even close to viable yet.

And Chris has said openly that their goal is to tune crowns so that they aren't this cheap forever.

And if you say that the devs are still working on it and the drop rate needs to be tuned, then I will say the devs are still working on it and the masterworking skills still need to be tuned. My answer won't be....use crowns to prevent breakage.

13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Having the item not be destroyed would DRASTICALLY cut down on the amount of farming required to make the base items, as they would not need to be replaced. And one could just burn through COTO's to max out every piece of gear. So, yes, it would have a huge impact on training the skill.

Aimend likes this.
  14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

Have you even crafted at all? If you get close to the MAX like you say your item will have 5 to 10 max durra. A this time you really can not max out an item. I have even looked at the min abilities that can pop uo and they still would kill them item's durra for crappy enchancements. No we are not looking for a super maxed unber item. We just would like to cut down on the endless gathering that they force us into.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  15. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

Then why is that an issue for COTOs to solve? Why not advocate for adjustments to Masterworking?

Xandra7 and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Arthur Ironfist

Arthur Ironfist Avatar

I think it's a fair proposal as I can see it from several different point of views. The only thing I don't like about it is that it would impact the servers resource economy. It would add another lever that gets around resource consumption, which I think is important to the original design of the game and it's economy.

I think I would prefer to leave things as they are and instead, when an awesome Grand Master crafter makes you that amazing item, why not tip them a COTO? :)

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No.

There's a very a good reason that the design is to have lots of failure, so that masterwork items are special and the economy doesn't get overrun with them. Doing what you're suggesting would be like saying "I'd really like to use COTO's to make my character always hit for a critical."

Crafting has been designed from the ground floor up so that players can't always be successful.

Astor Cerberus and Aimend like this.
  18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Even just two guaranteed enchantments with COTOs is the difference between 54% chance to be destroyed and 0%. And that's using approximate numbers stated by folks with very high masterwork. (90% on 1st, 60% on second). The chance of item destruction for those still training it is way higher, for even just two. I'm not even talking about maxing it out.

19. Browncoat Jayson

I totally agree. However, this redefines failure compared to every other part of crafting.

Gathering resources, a failure damages your tool and you don't get a resource.
    Refining resources into materials, a failure consumes fuel and damages your tool, but you keep the resources.
    Crafting materials into products, a failure consumes fuel and damages your tool, but you keep the resources.
    Masterworking products, a failure destroys everything about that product so you have to start the entire process again.

Look, I get that not everyone wants to see COTOs introduced at different levels of the game. However, as it stands this process is blocking those who do not farm silver from ever being a crafter that can compete. I'm a carpenter; I shouldn't need to go into the mines to do my job. However, silver is too expensive to buy, not available anywhere else in any real quantity, and is required because NO IDEA. So I go into mines, die a lot, and get a few silver to make each attempt. Which invariably fails, so I have nothing to sell anyway.

At a minimum, I'd like to see failure go from destroying the item to removing its durability, down to 0/1 (with its normal max). This way crafters at least have the choice to spend a COTO to repair the item and try again, or salvage it for some materials to create something new. Currently, its a black hole, which makes the already painful crafting lifestyle even more bleak.

20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would really dislike that.

I love that the item is destroyed. it makes crafting special.

In D&D you had to give up part of your constitution to craft a magical item. That's the feeling I want to have from this player driven economy. That crafting great items is not easy and it's not common.

Arthur Ironfist and Aimend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.