1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Free Raffle Tickets for Release 34 Raffle

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

@Berek @DarkStarr @Lord British

My 14 personal accounts without housing pledges appreciate it and my 11 accounts with housing pledges are outraged.

Do I want everyone to have a home, land, etc. absolutely via a "work for it" in game mechanism? But, something that applies UNEQUALLY is wrong.

If you guys said that you are giving EVERY single account from $25-12,000 free tickets fine. But, this method is a patently unfair application of generosity.

V/R Brickbat

2. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

A disadvantage? If someone can afford to support the game, they can support the game. If they purchased a house they are now struggling to pay for, perhaps they should not have bought it in the first place?

I am not trying to argue here. But I do see this as SotA supporting everyone, regardless of pledge level. Let's be generous... this is a "game".

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Celthon like this.
  3. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Life is unfair. The trick is to make it unfair in your favour.

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would argue that things have not been equal for a long, long time. The only difference is that in this one particular case, things are skewing AWAY from people with money, as opposed to towards.

That being said, I still think that purchased add-on lots that are subject to taxes should not disqualify you from a free raffle ticket.

Ice Queen, ISVRaDa, FireFly63 and 2 others like this.
  5. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

No different than a "real" lottery when the jackpot increases. If you purchased a ticket, you had a reason. If it was to own 2 properties in a game with limited spots, so be it, you have every right. What has changed? Only that more people who otherwise could not afford to purchase one of those 10,000 gold tickets, get a chance too?

Not arguing... I just see the other side of the coin. :)

Good Luck!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Maybe its why the game got funded as well.

7. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

I doubt there would have been time for me to earn enough gold. I am a casual player... does that mean I don't deserve a chance?

Sea Bear likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

There definitely is enough time, if you're concerned about that. Someone could earn 10,000 in a day just in the starter area (East Perennial Trail) if they put in the time... but we have a month.

4EverLost likes this.
  9. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

Lots of division on this one. Personally, I like the idea. For those that don't and have already spent massive amounts of gold on tickets, maybe a refund would be in order... it would give those without property better odds at winning. Or hold 2 raffles... one for those less fortunate (the $1 tickets in real life) and one for those who can apparently afford to pay for it.

~Love this game!~

Bom likes this.
  10. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

It's nothing like that. The rules were changed part of the way through. That's the problem.

Bodhbh Dearg and FireFly63 like this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have nothing against this. This bolsters spirits and winners will be happy. People not winning should be happy for them also! :)

12. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

You do have a point E n v y. It could have been decided prior to announcing the raffle ticket sales. I like the idea of 2 raffles though... one for those who purchased tickets and one for those who own no property. (they are giving away a lot of deeds, there must be room for a bit of a change?) ... ~always look on the bright side of life!~

I would not, however, like to see Portalarium fail. :)

13. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

Love this! Great idea that benefits everyone. The more home owners there are, the more likely this game is going to last the long haul!

Bom, Aimend, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't think anyone here does........its just a shame they seem to be making a damn fine job of it via poor decisions. At the moment do I feel that Portalarium are being fair to all their backers?.....the answer is no. At this moment do I trust Portalarium to do anything fairly without changing rules mid-term?.......I really wish the answer was yes; sadly yet again the answer is no.

I wait for them to do the right thing.........I expect I will be waiting a long time.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

@dallas Please release the number of free tickets to be given out so we can evaluate the odds before we sink more gold into this supposed gold sink raffle.

16. Old_SeaCaptain

Old_SeaCaptain Avatar

I think this is a great idea! Would have been nice to know about it before everyone started buying tickets, however.

Might make it less of a gold sink if people know the odds are already against them. A possible 40k or so of free tickets floating around is a pretty big negative to investing gold. Better to hold on to it to buy the deeds from players who win them but have no intention of actually keeping up with the taxes.

If someone can't afford the time to grind 5k on a ticket.. how will they pay the taxes to keep their lot active?

Bodhbh Dearg and Bom like this.
  17. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

He said they had to place around 100 lots during the earlier lot selection periods. I'd imagine they own a considerable amount at lower levels as well. Although I think it's less likely people who paid $45 for an account looked to sell off for cash than those that paid $275 and up.

Bom likes this.
  18. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I am a property owner already, and have not bought any raffle tickets. So I'm not invested in this raffle when I say... THIS IDEA STINKS. tottaly unfair on people unlike myself, who have already bought tickets with the belief and understanding of a relatively good likelyhood of winning a property. Geez, why change the rules to win after people have already entered? not fair to those that have entered. I say you should have done this for the NEXT raffle ticket and let this one run its course, since it was already started...

Bodhbh Dearg, Bom and Kaisa like this.
  19. FireFly63

FireFly63 Avatar

If I could, I would "like" this twice!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

This wouldn't be possible as the number of tickets being given out will depend on the number of players with qualifying accounts that log in to collect their tickets.

Bom and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.