6-Month Demo!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G Din

G Din Avatar

2. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

For the record I don't happen to like this card system at all. See my earlier comments. I just think they're trying to level the PVP field so as to encourage more people to try it.

Strongsquirrel1 likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Of course. I was focused on SotA. In my opinion, there should be no physical skill compeition in this online video game.

It's because twitch is physical and within the realm of possibility in an online game. Think about it, if someone came onto the forums and yelled about "true skill" being disrupted by the card deck system and then went on to explain that only "true skill" can be obtained by actually using a real sword and learning magic for real, etc, etc...

If that happen we'd all just laugh that off - and rightfully so.

So the real question is, does twitch equal skill, and as you have agreed it does not.

4. Drocis the Devious

I must be in the mood to argue.

No, you're wrong.

What you're calling real PVP is nothing more than unbalanced, unregulated, and completely abused PVP. The card system is an honest attempt to balance player verses player conflict based on the technology that's currently available.

Darkfall Online has super twitch, no random anything. Why aren't you playing that?

Mishri likes this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

And then there are those of us who think it looks like the makings of a fun game, regardless of any bearing, positive OR negative, on PvP. :)

rild and lizardchunk like this.
  6. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

In 2011 RG was in discussion with EA/Mythic to work on a sequal to Ultima Online. Obviously it wasn't in the cards, but to state that this game isn't THAT game minus the Ultima name is pure ignorance.

I have to say I agree with all the combat griping. Setting up a macro system similar to UO and getting rid of the "traditional" MMO UI is the first thing I would do to fix this.

licemeat, TheGrinch and EWHART like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

The card system IS an integrated macro system. And I'm sure the devs wish that they had pitched it that way from the beginning.

rild likes this.
  8. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

Obviously you don't know what I'm talking about.

In UO, you opened up a menu where you could assign skills in the game to buttons on your keyboard. It was up to you as the player to set up the game as you saw fit. There was no UI with the skills on your screen. Sometimes the difference in player skill boiled down to how organized they were and how they had the game set up.

9. smack

smack Avatar

So what's with the lighting in this game? The interior walkthroughs seemed to show some interior lighting, others none. That is, you'd think with all those windows, light should be flooding in but instead some of the houses are dark inside, others are lit just fine. I'll assume it's due to the unfinished nature of the 6-month demo but it was rather uneven between the house models.

rild likes this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I get the feeling maybe you got PK'd too much.

Just have a coin flip.....that's honest as well.

Luxuria, Isaiah [MGT] and TheGrinch like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

And that is great because it shouldn't matter to you what the combat system looks like, moving to a UO based combat system won't have an impact on you.

Luxuria and TheGrinch like this.
  12. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

If DF had the player housing, item placement system, and similar crafting as SotA, many of us would be playing it. The combat isn't perfect there either, but what really kills that game is there isn't much to do once the cities are built and the alliances are formed.

This game has a lot more going for it, especially the community.

Isaiah, rocheklip and TheGrinch like this.
  13. Luitpold

Luitpold Avatar

Structures
    - liked: the interiors are pretty, and there is a good variety of structural themes, the textures are blending better than early on too.
    - disliked: it feels like big cities full of these thematically different buildings would look awkward​

Combat: In my opinion, as I have always said, the Mount and Blade directional combat style seems like a more natural fit for this game. I'm really leukwarm about the idea of the current system, the combat footage hasn't changed my opinion in any way, but I think it would be bad if this or the fall-back position were the only directions that combat can go. I feel like the system might make more sense if I understood its context relative to the other ideas that were discussed.

Kilhwch likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Actually I know what you're talking about and I would suggest that you're assigning skill to something that is really more of a twitch mechanic. How fast can you get to your keys... It's like (similar) if I reprogram my mouse to more efficiently shoot stuff using automatic combo moves. Or if I reconfigure my screen resolution so I can see the outline of people in stealth mode. Or if I use 3rd person view to peek around corners.

I get it, many people "win" doing things like this. I would argue that these are cheap tactics that made unethical, more technically savy, or just plain people that put more time and focus into the game - better. I wouldn't call any of that skill.

Talton likes this.
  15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

....You completely missed my point. The -combat system- looks like it has the potential to make a fun game, regardless of its impact, positive or negative, on PvP. In other words, my metric by which I am measuring the combat system is not (in any way) "is it good (or bad) for PvP", it's rather "does it look fun". And personally, I think it looks like it could be, with more refinements.

Mishri, rild, Isaiah and 4 others like this.
  16. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

....Combat is also a significant feature in single player and co-op games.

Mishri, rild, Valos and 5 others like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

It also has very unbalanced combat. At least it did during the first version. I never played the second coming of the game because I realized that the dev team didn't care about the game they were making.

I can say this with GREAT authority having followed the first 7 years of Darkfall's development when Claus was leading his 5 guys in a basement. It wasn't until Tasos and his money took over that the design went to stupid land.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Even more reason why they need to ditch the joke of a system that is bring developed.

Luxuria likes this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

I also noticed that the windows have no effect on interior lighting. With so many windows, light should be flooding in through it and even casting shadows on objects in front of them. But they're not and that seemed odd. I'm guessing that's not been implemented yet.

And I noticed that you can't see in through the windows when outside the home, but you can see out of them when inside the home. Perhaps that might also explain why light isn't getting through from the outside.

rild, Isaiah and Venger like this.
  20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.