People laughing on mmorpg at character animations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rufio, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

What you say is true, I agree. But the main problem people seem to have is that it seems to the casaul observer that "they" are working hard on housing and promoting the sales of houses and land.
    All of that is beautiful and well polished, it seems to be complete and ready for your cartoon character to move right in and RP living in a fantasy world.
    As a matter of fact there is so much of it that it seems a little overwhelming.

Now we look at the meat & bones of the game, what every RPG/MMO game has...fighting.
    Well, customers/investors, they see a side by side comparison and you can understand that a lot might be slightly underwhelmed, maybe not seeing that it's different making a still backdrop as opposed to a thing with multiple limbs running and jumping around and interacting with still objects, and others with multiple flapping around limbs.

I'm sure there are different people working on the different aspects of the game, but it's the uneven appearance of the two aspects presented side by side that caused the larger portion of the problem.

I don't think Portalarium is/was wrong, nor do I think the people who got upset were wrong, sometimes that stuff just happens.

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'm not sure if that actually counts as a "responce to criticism", or an advertisment...just sayin'.;)

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

There's a comment in there where somebody seems to question Richard's use of the name Lord British.

I just have to assume that guy is too young to know Richard has been using the name, probably since before the commenter was born. (Sorry to point that out, Richard, but we're nearly the same age, so I feel it too.)

Sir Stile Teckel and Koldar like this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I thought the young lad was just trying to be witty, as it is entirely obvious Lord British strikes the perfect balance between droll and quaint.
    What's funny is he didn't seem to understand the definition of either of those words. (if that's the guy you're refering to;))

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That's the guy.

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Jessika

Jessika Avatar

I would not worry about them. They appear to have the Graphics > Gameplay mentality.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

The comments and defensiveness in this thread = a successful Trolling.. Be silent about what others say any publicity is good publicity in.. People think Apple is good because high profile people are paid to tell you so. Stop drinking the kool-aid people.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

A lot of people here think that SoTA is good because LB/RG is high profile and tells us so...does that mean that SoTA is cool-aid???:eek:
    The funny thing is none of us have even got to taste the cool-aid yet...so we can't know for sure...we can only hope at this point...hope that it's not cherry...:oops:

9. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

That's true, but from what we can see, SotA offers something completely different than a majority of the games on the market. I think for most of us, the glaring issue/question is the combat, but that's not going to prevent (some of) us from playing. I've seen the progress from the demo KS video to the recent 6 month video, and it's undeniable the progress they have made. I think we will be pleased with an additional year of progress.

10. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

I'm laughing about the fact that people think MMORPG.com is a factor, of any kind under and circumstances. That joke of a website has an incredibly biased staff and an outrageously toxic community who feels they are infinitely more informed than they really are.

Laughing about animations from a video 6 months into development proves my points almost perfectly. For most of the people at MMORPG.com graphics are 100% what makes a game great, and nevermind the 100s of games that have failed with great graphics. They are the butt of their own joke.

11. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Listen to GimmeUOPlz, for he is wise....

BillRoy likes this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Let's see what they'll be saying next September. It's been what - 6 months? This is the correct approach which is vertical slicing. See if the basic major components work together first then go back to perfect each one once the integration is strong. Start with one village to test all the major character activities and interactions then put the rest in.

One just has to look at Runescape to see how a complex and rich skill & crafting system trumps graphics quality. I spend more time there crafting and doing quests that are crafting related than anything else It recently got a 3D upgrade and while this was a big improvement over the old 2D graphics it certainly doesn't come anywhere near the graphics quality of recent fantasy games. And you know what? The players don't care, they've invested too much time, made too many friends, put down roots(&houses).

Started in 2001, it has outlived many many fantasy games and mmo's. Still going strong too :)

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  13. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Yes, Apple is good!

BillRoy likes this.
  14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Could animations be out sourced?

So the Devs could ask some of the better animation developers out there and get a price.
    Then do like a kickstarter or money drive for lets say some different rideable mounts with combat moves?

15. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

As long as there is a jump button so anyone who is so inclined can run and leap around town non-stop for hours a day, I'm ok with whatever else they do.:)

jondavis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.