1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of The Forest Siege

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Sea-Wolf, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Looks nice. I think you should consider some sort of reward for town sieges. Otherwise it feels like a hurdle on my way home .. If there is no reward, my incentive is just to skip it.

Hazard and majoria70 like this.
  2. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

For future improvements it would be nice to see other play styles coming together to tackle sieges, such as crafters helping build implements/items to fight back and reclaim access to their towns or even bribe their way through. Another example would be farmers or cooks supplying food to the effort somehow. Incentive could be special labeled items, plaques, titles, and the like. Anyway, looks like a good bit of hack/slash. Thanks for the preview(s).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    licemeat likes this.
  3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

That would be nice, but no. (At least, not initially. Maybe in the far future.)

4. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

If someone is currently in the town that becomes under siege, will they see monsters in the town, or is the siege scene the only place you see the monsters attacking?
    i.e. they would have to go back to the world map and try to renter?

I imagine seeing the monsters is restricted to the siege scene, but would love to see in both scenes(town and siege scene).

smack and licemeat like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm asking for terrific and interesting rewards and it wouldn't happen all that often;)

6. Hestia

Hestia Avatar

Thank you for the new content and hard work!

7. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

You won't see any monsters in the target town. Conceptually, the siege has begun outside of town by blocking access to the town.

If you leave the besieged town and later try to return while the siege is still under way, you'll be brought into the siege encounter again and have to make your way through it to access the target town.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Will the scenery layer in the town change? For example, leaving Ardoris to the north you can see hills and a decent skyline. Having this look like fires burning in the distance, smoke trailing into the sky, etc, would at least give us a feeling that something is happening out there.

I'm really disappointed that sieges are just a transition scene. Based on the Kickstarter descriptions, it sounded like towns themselves would be more dynamic. Yes, yes, housing, but that shouldn't affect changes to NPC centers, roads, even the streets right in front of player homes. If we have to live with players dirtying up their yards, they can live with sieges dirtying up the rest of the town. Really, its just visuals, some extra guards battling monsters, and maybe some NPCs that won't respond while the siege is happening; this shouldn't even be hard to do, except the alternative artwork. We already have guard vs. monster fights (Ferig's Camp), and plenty of games swap art resources under certain situations. Player housing is shared between instances, so this would have literally zero effect.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hopefully this is just the first iteration of sieges and more is coming. I agree with Browncoat Jayson making towns involved would allow them to hold a more important and useful place in the game. and this being done by having random sieges from town to town and abilities to lay siege to them in various ways was my hope as well. I'm not demeaning the work that is being done but keeping the towns out of it is a disappointment to me as well.

smack, Saesa and Kambrius like this.
  10. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Appreciate your reply, Sannio!
    I understand that you cannot make definite statements about future developments but it would be helpful to understand if sieges will become more than a fixed-encounter-outside in the next few releases.
    • Cosmetic changes to the besieged town
    • Monster spawners within
    • NPC "invisible"
    • NPC text changed
    • New NPC lieke refugees, healers,guards...
    • Price changes
    • dynamic items like Barricades
    I am not even talking about changing the town's permanent structure - just by adding dynamic events and modifying NPC behaviour a siege could become something more meaningful than a fixed encounter.
    The limitations of the game engine implementation has been discussed often with regards to change towns with player housing. What I am not certain of if there is even limitations to the above small changes (which will affect everybody in that town - so should be a global setting). Also is Portalarium working on workarounds to allow for changes to the universal state of towns / maps with player houses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.