The problem with Sota from a casual players point of view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lao Yang, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Then , aim for the type of customers you want.
    You can't please everyone. Take a side and stick with it.

Dark Soul is a good example. They don't try to make it easier. They stick with their style.
    You like or you don't.
    And that's the beauty of it.

SOTA.. is..like a bag of hammers.
    OP you're mostly right, the game does feel empty.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

You assume that every player plays striving for the same things. I don't give a damn about Brit or why people moved to Brit.

OMG! Some players don't care about "raw materials"! God forbid they might like a location for their looks or how secluded it is (which is more ideal for RPers who don't want to be disturbed by non-RPers).

But, no, in your mind if you can't think of a reason for someone to like something, that obviously means that there's no value and that the people living there are just "putting up with it".

Using your words: "you serious bro?"

MrBlight and Stundorn like this.
  3. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

The fact that there was a run on Brit during lot placement should prove me right.
    And indeed with the best gear crafted by players, the economy does matter and how far away you are either from raw materials as a crafter or from crafters if you don't craft.
    Even if you are a RPer I believe you still care about gear.

I agree that some people want to be far away. Those people represent a minority at least for house owners for sure, as can be seen by the run on Brit central.
    Sorry you get so agitated when someones calling you bro.:cool:

4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There used to be a moongate in Owlshead that connected to multiple locations.

The moongate in Solace Bridge still connects to Highvale and Blood River.

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

But it doesn't. The only thing it proves is that Brit is a popular city; the rest is speculation. The fact that I'm arguing should prove that not every player prioritize the same things you do. So (obviously) perceived value will differ. The quantity of players who see benefits in a particular location shouldn't matter; the only thing that really matters (as far as this subject goes) is that everyone have a place they like to live in.

Don't take my word for it.
    http://gdcvault.com/play/1023186/Twenty-Years-Twenty Lesson #11: "If everyone likes your game but no one loves it, it will fail."

Watch the video (or at least the entirety of lesson#11 @33:30, the part that's relevant here) and keep the "I want all houses everywhere to have equal value" idea in mind and come back to me if you still believe it should be the case.

Who said anything about being agitated?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

People choose lots according to their perceived value. I agree on this.
    The quantity of players seeing value in a particular location does matter if you are selling lots. Because people will then either:
    • Don't buy lots anymore
    • Complain about the location after buying it, without realizing the consequences.
    Your argument is only valid if lots are free. Of course there will be some people who prefer the solitude and lots will sell out eventually, given that enough players will play the game. But I bet there will be complaints.

7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Closing thread and PMing those who overtook it with senseless bickering...

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.