Creating a Justice System

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by redfish, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sorry, guess I am misunderstanding what is said by "or has not somehow otherwise opened himself to fair attack" - isn't flagging for PvP opening yourself up to attack? Not trying to be pedantic, just wanting to make sure this is clear. If I'm gonna get garotted at the crafting table, its a problem :p

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yes it is true is a statement quite open to interpretation, but consensual PVP is something that won't go away... Maybe that's why by default i read that as "PVP flagged player ambushed by another player without notice or acceptance". I'm sure @redfish would love to elaborate.

That being said, if you're flagged PVP you may be garotted at the crafting table :D but if you don't you're fine.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I explain this in the OP,
    "This would effectively mean you could consent to PvP, but not consent to being murdered."

The operative word in "or has not somehow otherwise opened himself to fair attack" is "fair." So if you're at a crafting table minding your own business, and some guy has no "legal" reason to attack you, but he comes up stealthed behind you and does, then he'll be flagged an outlaw for murder.

Consensual PvP won't go away, but the current system of PvP flagging is just a free-for-all, while the concept in the OP is to give it more structure through justice mechanics, same way UO had justice mechanics. I think this would be good for many reasons, including that it would bring Role-Playing to PvP, serve as a basis for some meaningful PVP content where there would be real motivations to fight, and would encourage more people to flag.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Something something virtue system promised.

Havnt seen much or any elaboration on how they want to inplement it. Nor a time frame.

5. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I'm a bit torn in some of this.

While I like the idea a player should be allowed to opt out of the crime system, but be unable to commit crimes.
    Because for people like me, I can't afford to have a player robbing my house or murdering me because I'm questing in their zone. (This is already done through other methods I am told)

The main issue with this is consent. If I do not consent to being murdered I can still be heavily inconvenienced, especially a casual player questing or a new player. It brings up the chance for griefing. But in turn a PvE player should not be able to benefit from the bounty.
    The ideal route would be to use the oracles protection. I assume if she is protecting you from crime she would also prevent you from committing crimes.

BUT this would give pvpers their risk and reward exclusive to pvp. Bounties. They whine for something exclusive and this would give them that.

But not nonconsensual opens windows for griefing players like me who will not fight.

If it must have you flagged PvP to participate in all of this then go for it.

As a healer though I think that this system would be ideal for me, because the current system considers healing a crime. I should be permitted to heal my party without being marked as a criminal. However if they have committed a crime, yes, prevent me from healing them.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know this from a while ago but would it be great if a quest activates it? That way the tech might not be as complex because the quest activates it for those that participate. I always wanted criminal points types of quests and lately some high end quests seem like a point system to earn cotos would be totally awesome. Also since bulletin boards are coming in soon I so hope tech to get wanted posters on them could be managed too.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I'm all for this! I would love to be a bounty hunter!!!

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  8. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Meanwhile at the crime scene o_O
    [​IMG]
    authorities are baffled to know the cause of death.
    A big fish is at the center of the investigation ;)

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Aside from bounty boards in NPC cities, it would also be cool to be able to say... pick up jobs to assassinate other [PvP-flagged] players from a shady fellow at the bar in The Fall.

The jobs might be placed by other players, or just random, and the NPC would pay you for the job if you succeed regardless of what you were able to loot.

blaquerogue, KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  11. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A bounty system would be fantastic.... sigh. By the way, I did do a simple Bounty system at RPOTA (in the RP Actions area), but it needs some lovin. Very simple at the moment.

*edit: And I love this post, btw! Hope they use it for some inspiration for bounties at some point.

Nog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.