Mob drops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gnarxly, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnarxly

Gnarxly Avatar

I've killed a whole bunch of lower level mobs like skeletons, zombies, wolves, slimes, bandits, trolls and more.
    All I have seen droped are sthings like herbs, used weapons, small ammounts of gold...

Is there actually a chance for a mob to drop something rare and interesting like a statue, chest, or whatever? Or are all items like that 100% reserved for item shop and crafting?

2. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I love that SotA is a crafter-based game, not a mob loot generator based off of a RNG.

BUT, I do miss that anticipation, no matter how slim, that I'd get a fun/rare/interesting drop. It's like playing slot machines. It's boring, and you know nothing good's going to come from it...BUT there's a slim chance something fun might happen. Just maybe. The win isn't the fun when you deconstruct it, it's the anticipation.

I wish SotA would adopt this philosophy. Surely there's a way to rebuild that fun, albeit super rare anticipation of a drop, and still not crush the crafters and their economy.

3. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I haven't followed the game all that closely from the time I backed it to now, but the loot...could be better for sure.

I still haven't really figured out what makes the crafted weapons better (+1 vs +5 I get but bronze/iron/meteoric seems to be intrinsic properties not quality tiers).

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yeah there are very rare Crown of the Obsidian drops, that you can find on almost anything from what I understand. Loot still needs a lot of work and balancing overall tho.

Oyjord Hansen and Kaisa like this.
  5. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

Somewhere recently Darkstarr made a post stating they knew loot sucked and is something being worked on. I haven't seen specific details, so stayed tuned.

6. Gnarxly

Gnarxly Avatar

Yeah, I'm not looking for a Diablo dungeon crawler type of loot system, but loot variety adds a lot to the game and those who enjoy grinding mobs. If it's balanced well, crafters can still easily come out on top, while keeping it interesting for explorers and mob grinders. I find it a bit wierd and questionable if everyone is supposed to become a crafter at some point. But maybe it's just me.

7. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

Yea I agree the loot could use some looking into. Now I know this game isn't UO, but being as many of the systems and concepts are similar ( and many are not ) I think the loot system in that game might be suitable for this one. Basically, the concept that some mobs had a chance of dropping "magic" weapons or armor which would have certain modifiers. This might have only been a damage modifier, not sure, but the point is that the concept is decent and I think perhaps having mobs potentially drop magic weapons or armor that could have different modifiers than crafted items could be a decent solution.

Another idea is that they could perhaps make some mobs rarely drop decorative rare items or perhaps add on store decorative items like plants, etc. The throne of bone is a semi-example of this, although I believe that is always 100% obtained. Because of housing, the market of decorative rare items was brought into existince back in UO, and this particular market doesn't really exist in games with no housing, so I think this market should be utilized to its full potential, and not just in the add-on shop.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    troymac, EtherBunny and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think this is due for a lot of creativity.

For example, why would somebody be carrying around a chest on their body? Why would he be carrying around a statue? Instead, what you want to do in some cases is spawn chests and other loot items in the vicinity of mobs, that they might be guarding guarding. There are some scenes already where there are chests that are being guarded. So, for example, there's a random encounter scene with bandits that has a chest. As it turns out, it usually just has a few paltry reagents. But I think chest spawning could also be a little random in some cases.

Then, the chest could be locked and require lockpicking skill, or you to get a key off a body. So, there would be a choice of how to get to it.

See for instance my list of suggestions for troll loot here,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ing-the-troll-not-worth-it.46472/#post-513850
    So, in that case, there are some suggestions for loot, like the bearskin and the shield, and possibly being able to get the skull or teeth of the troll. But then there are other items that would be in a chest, either placed strategically by the devs or spawned. Coins, artifacts, other items. Also, some of these could be strewn around the ground around the chest. Like coins that are overflowing from the chest and are on the ground around it. Also, trophy skulls from avatars the troll has killed. Then stuff like sheep and other livestock around the troll.

I also hope they move away from things like Earth Elementals carrying gold that you can loot when they die. This is as bad as wolves carrying gold IMO. I think its enough IMO if they're guarding valuable nodes you can mine. You defeat them to get to the nodes.

However, if the devs want them to have loot, they could be more creative. So Earth Elementals could carry quartz or quartz sand. Fire Elementals sulfur or brimstone. Along these lines, the rest would have to be a bit more creative... or, they could just have the elementals drop a gem of their time. So, Earth Elementals would drop emerald or emerald fragments, since that's used for Gaiaism, Fire Elementals rubies or ruby fragments, since that's used for Sorcery.... etc..

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The idea is that, before launch, crafted items that are destroyed or sold to vendors will be available as loot on monsters. So crafting will service players who loot mobs as well as the current first market.

This will replace the rusty weapon loot on higher end mobs.

10. Gnarxly

Gnarxly Avatar

I would not want to have any better armor or weapon mob drops than those that currently already drop (npc shop material). Armor and weapons should stay the domain of crafters. First thing I would certainly implement are treasure maps (small, medium, large) that drop a few thousand gold and a bunch of crafting mats. It's a nice surprise reward for those grinding mobs, giving extra incentive, while keeping crafters in demand. It's proven to work well in other games, and I think it would work well in this game too.

Cream2, Audacity and EtherBunny like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe the idea was that if you're killed by a mob then that mob could take an item from you and it would be loot for wherever killed that mob.

12. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Dropping more spell reagents would be nice too. I'm going broke casting spells. Of course, there is the chance that I'm doing it wrong. :)

Solazur, Cordelayne and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I hadn't heard that before. There was talk of intelligent mobs looting you, which would require you to ransom the item back, and if you did not it would go into the pool used for seeding loot. The issue with seeding a specific mob is that it would require persistent data, but because of scenes being instanced I can't see that working well.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe not that specific mob. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the idea of mobs taking my stuff and I'm also not a fan of the idea of crafted items becoming loot.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  15. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Yes please as long as it is not craftable as we dont want crafters go out of business

16. Almar

Almar Avatar

I remember the day a Lich in old UO dropped a Silver Kryss of Power :D I used that Kryss to kill many more lichs for a lonnnng time ;)

We definitely need a proper loot table at some point if the love of this game is to spread a little further IMO

kozmoh, Cordelayne and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  17. slashpk

slashpk Avatar

still no rare drop from mobs? I play 100hours already. 0 loot

18. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Occasionally I get scrolls or potions off mobs, and the weapons that some mobs drop (for example kobold hammers) can be salvaged with a chance for a pattern. COTO's were already mentioned as well, they are a rare chance to drop.

Rinaldi likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes we did some fun things in uo. In my opinion some Are so afraid of the economy that it stifles what could be. We could get interesting drops of magical weapons with charges even if it was like three charges and have some fun. I'm more interested in getting some fun in this game than the economy at the moment. I sincerely think what we're seeing is that Developers are holding back due to fear of upsetting the economy. which doesn't make sense.The game isn't even released and it is not fun. Its a job grinding and trying to pay taxes just to survive I think we are doing it backwards. I have strong feelings that we are doing it backwards in fact. Everything is being restricted and limited so as not to harm the economy, thus in trying to balance the economy there is less time for the fun stuff and the much needed stuff, such as interest and side quest, achievement s, discoveries, treasure hunting, and adding interesting loot. Oh but adding those things might upset the economy omg. Ok off on a rant;).

Oyjord Hansen and Rinaldi like this.
  20. pyro660

pyro660 Avatar

some rare drop ideas: teleport stone (one off teleport to any major city), random pattern for any item in game or maybe a super rare pattern that can only be found as a drop, decorative items tied to sota lore, rare decorative hat, purse with extra gold, pouch with extra reagents, rare clothing items. I guess this list could go on and on. If there is a desire to have cool things in loot tables, there are plenty of ways to make it happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.