Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Book Cover Questions

Discussion in 'Release 41 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Vyrin, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I think @DarkStarr is following his instinct on this of Fallout 4 of recycle everything.

Vyrin likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I like the fact that we can recycle books now BUT.. book covers (patterns) are something we should be able to buy.. just like blank books. Maybe have a few unique ones that are loot or salvage but common covers should just be readily available.

Stundorn, Vyrin and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thank you for all the feedback on this new system that gives you the ability to customize the covers of your books. We will make time in R42 for some improvements.

FrostII, Vyrin, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

Thank you. I'm sure we all appreciate the effort you have gone to to give book publishing some love, and hopefully with community feedback we will end up with something that is really appreciated by the community.

Vyrin and Alexander like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This is a good wish list. I second it. Personally, having uncommon/rare book cover pattern drops will only discourage players from using them. And I most certainly won't purchase one if sold by another player. I don't think one can equate book covers to armor/weapons.

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm curious... is this actually a real problem? What I mean is- I understand "stealing" from NPCs is considered a no-no by the Oracle- and dings virtue- but is there some actual real-life reason why we shouldn't take books and other objects that are deliberately left lying around the game in a takeable format?

Womby, Alexander and Vyrin like this.
  7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

It depends on what you consider a problem I guess. From a role play perspective having to grab others books to make books doesn't seem quite right. From a virtue perspective, the Oracle may ding you. From a fun perspective, there is a danger of having to "mine" books. Go to Tower of the Shuttered Eye, load up, back to crafting table, salvage, repeat... From an actual usability perspective, the whole system may defeat the interest in using them. We will just have to see how it turns out and all we can do right now is wait for the next iteration.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The Epitaph is another place to load up. I went there last night to find the library and thought I'd clear it out.. before I discovered the books were respawning before I got half way through and by then I had several hundred at least. (Not a single pattern yet though)

Womby, Stundorn and Alexander like this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I'm hoping that the first person to actually get a pattern drop will post here. I am trying a different approach in that I will be stockpiling books of the same cover type, then run them all through 15 at a time to see if that increases my odds. If not, then I will have to assume that they aren't dropping at all, or are as rare as a coto drop.

Womby likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And this is after the last patch that said the 'drop rate' was upped by x5. I'm going to have hundreds of copies to make of my books when they're ready.. this much difficulty in getting patterns isn't going to work unless the patterns never get used up.

LoneStranger, Womby and Alexander like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

One of the frustrating things I'm finding when trying to salvage is that books stack, but you can't salvage stacked books. Ctrl+clicking 15 different books to load them up is a pain.

Bowen Bloodgood, Womby, Vyrin and 3 others like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Over 600 books salvaged, still not a single cover.

Vyrin, Womby and Alexander like this.
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

I suspect there is a bug, otherwise one of us would have succeeded by now.

Stundorn, Vyrin and Alexander like this.
  14. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I would have to agree with Womby on this one. I just finished ripping yet another 500 books on a level 2 tailoring station with a Tailoring salvage of 62 ( proficiency at 55.7 ) and had zero drops.
    @DarkStarr

I also took the time to identify the specific book covers that cannot be salvaged. (see screen shot)
    [​IMG]

Vyrin, Browncoat Jayson and majoria70 like this.
  15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well if anybody is too concerned about their virtue to steal some books for the cause, just let me know. Jaan's virtue is still banged up from the Great Carrot Famine of 499. She still doesn't care for the Oracle much... and would be happy to work out an arrangement. :D

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

As a test, I just went through 100 blank books on a +5 Tailoring table and am now the proud owner of 100 wood pulp and a broken pair of scissors.

17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I have entered a bug about this.

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Sheesh they should at least give us enough pulp to make a scroll! :D:rolleyes:o_O

19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yes, definitely. Yet....I find that salvaging pulp from books is much quicker than salvaging it from scraps of wood (which is much slower on a milling station).

Spoon and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  20. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Thank you, @DarkStarr ... I have burned through hundreds of books and never gotten a book cover. The only good note is that my Tailoring Salvaging skill is even higher!

I have a finished book waiting to do a custom cover before publication... which begs another question: Once a book gets a custom cover, and you use the printing press to replicate it, do all the copies have the new custom cover?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.