The chat room closed!

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Isaiah, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geden

Geden Avatar

... :(

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

... :(

3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

does the privat chat work? If yes contact me ;)

4. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

[​IMG]

5. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

ok query does work^^

6. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

That's just sad... Like genuinely depressing.

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

we're in #sota-trade for anyone that wants to join chat.

8. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I read the transcript and ya know what? We are, in my personal opinion, collectively, a big bunch of self-entitled complainers.

I can't imagine why the Portalarium team, or any game developers, would want to create a game this openly in the future. Sure, there's benefits from getting feedback from your customer ahead of time, but in general we have challenged or complained about nearly every decision about the game. I think the last universally appreciated idea was the conversation system.

I want to merely say THANK YOU, Richard, Starr, Chris and all the rest, for making this game for us to play.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I've been feeling a little bad for the Dev team lately myself. It seems like it has been a whirlwind of negative feedback with everything they do lately. I understand because we want to make sure that our interests are made known etc etc.

However we have to remember that the devs need a break some time. They have deadlines and they are doing the best they can to do right by us. They are probably thinking it was a huge mistake to do a crowdsourced game these days. However the good thing is this negativity won't last forever. There's always going to be people who ***** and moan, but SotA has more good going for it than the minor issues that people are griping about.

I think we really should challenge them by criticizing their decisions etc. I think it's good for them to have this accountability. However I hope they can also remember that they already have so many good things going in this project that will make it successful. So big deal some people are mad about everything these day. The devs are stressed because they have deadlines, and the community is stressed because we are itching to get our hands on the game. So we are all cranky. Some of the gripes are legitimate, but what the devs and the community also should keep in mind all of the really cool things this game will bring to the table. Yet there are those who give up during the hard times, but 100% of the people who make it through tough times didn't give up when things got hard.

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Welcome to any game community, ever? My personal opinion, yeah, there are a bunch of windbags, but there is nothing in there that is offensive, or demeaning to other members, etc...

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  11. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Okay, it did get pretty hostile and snarky in there, now that I looked at LoneStranger's link. I'm sorry that happened! :(

12. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

The thing that bugs me about it is that while yes, it got fairly unpleasant at one point... it had already calmed down and was back to pleasant conversation for over an hour before the actual shutting down took place. :-/ Crunch time, when stress is high and patience already worn thin was probably not the best time to make an announcement that was guaranteed to create a backlash, even a much-needed one. But, the Devs are human too, and they've had increasingly thankless jobs.

I second the huge thanks to the whole Portalarium team, missteps and 'proofs of humanity' included! You're doing something, as someone else pointed out, nothing short of miraculous, given all the limitations you face! Angry voices may be the loudest, but don't think for a minute that all you guys do isn't appreciated!

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's better to have all the backlash now instead of waiting till the last minute. The more honest they are now the better we can come to terms with whatever issue it may be. So when beta testing starts drawing in all sorts of new people, those of us that have been around longer will have already come to terms with whatever issue. Releasing it later when the new players start coming in might lead to all out chaos.

It's like Bill Clinton sharing with the press that he smoked pot but never inhaled. If the press found out about it before Clinton shared it with the media it might have turned into a huge deal back then. Yet when he released the information himself, it became a laughable topic, and none of his enemies could use it against him later on.

LoneStranger and Joviex like this.
  15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'm reading through the chat log and assigning blame, and then ignoring folks in the forums appropriately.

My reading experience is becoming less negative by the minute!

16. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Yeah, from FireLotus' post - [@NirAntae]
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...t-selection-sequencing.4227/page-4#post-81606
    It took some time to go through the steps and make a decision. So, I don't agree with the decision to shut chat down. So, what? That was the decision, and they have the power to do that. Other people brought up valid points on that in the other Thread [linked above]. I hope it all gets worked out and that the adventure into New Britannia is a successful one, for years to come.

chrisbcarr and Isaiah like this.
  17. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Oh, I totally get why it was shut down. I've done enough work as a forum/game moderator in the past, though nothing at this scale, to understand 110%. The anger, hostility, and divisiveness of a small group of people in this community towards said community (both members and creators) is nothing short of sickening, especially considering just how much the team is doing for us, and how much they are getting accomplished, so quickly, with so few resources. They are miracle workers in my book, and it honestly hurts when I see people spewing so much anger and hatred at them over every slightly poor (or merely disagreed-with) word or decision.

Taken from a different perspective... certain factions in the community want - nay, demand - that Portalarium change their stance on some issues, yet they cry foul (loudly and very nastily, even!) if Portalarium makes a choice between two conflicting statements that had been previously made, because they "took back what they promised". Either nothing is set in stone, and thus they can change based on majority community benefit/feedback, OR, everything is set in stone and nothing can change between now and the games' release. You can't have both, and personally I think the latter stance would be just silly.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

yes

19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Here is one thing I don't appreciate in chat or in comments in the forum:

Unfortunately, that just further undermines what Dallas said, and further devalues the early founders faith in the project
    I don't like it because it devalues the faith that early founders put in the game.

Why do people presume to be able to speak for everyone? I am an early founder and don't appreciate being lumped into an argument like this. This is not my sentiment.

Also, the idea that a horrible, egregious error was made based on one comment Dallas made early on in chat which in some ways has ambiguities? Quite petty. The issue rests on lot size anyway, and for town (1 pledge tier) it doesn't even make a bit of difference!

I would say to the devs that I want you to spend time on the game rather than replying to "discussion" like this - so if shutting down chat helps, then more power to you.

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Actually, this is a good thing.
    I had noticed that a few negative people were really getting on my nerves, and were bringing out the worst in me.

While I cannot boot/ban/delete them, I can ignore.

I'm finding I don't really miss seeing what they have to say!

chrisbcarr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.