700 point skill system?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Jako, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jako

Jako Avatar

hi all

i keep reading about this card system - which a) doesn't sound great but b) doesn't sound like it's finalized... can someone send me a link to the video/info/page for a breakdown of it?

separately, i think one of the great things about UO was the 700 point skill system which allowed players to specialize or generalize as much as they wanted (max 7 skills to 100, or have 14 skills at 50, whatever floats your boat) - it was also one of the defining systems of the game and one which differentiated it from all the others that came out subsequently. now, i have not played every MMORPG game out there, but i've played a few, and the original UO skill system was far and away my favourite.

and more so, you could increase or decrease skills that became useless/you didn't like, etc. with the click of a button by locking/unlocking them... i think it would be a shame to lose that original, sensible skill system which created a class-less gaming world

speak words

chucky_t, Sperg, Rodriguez and 4 others like this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm with ya, but it seems most people on this board want to learn each and every skill.
    No matter what you do in PK mode, the PK will be able to use everything.
    Go fishing, great the PK is a cook and will be able use that fish.
    Go mining, great the PK can smelt ore and will have no problem smelting it.
    Go lumberjacking, great the PK is good at carpentry and could use that wood.

It don't matter what you like doing in the game, the PK will be able to kill you and use everything you have.

Besides players not needing help from other players, I think it will also chase players out of PK mode. :(

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

They really haven't told us much. But if it's throttled by a cap like that, it's unlikely that crafting and combat skills would be in the same bucket.

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I personally really like the idea of a limited resource skill system, it makes a lot of sense, and makes for diversity. People cannot just mimic my tactic upon seeing it, they'd have to figure out what the combination of skills I'm using is, then level them, THEN figure out how I was doing what I was doing.

Mordecai and Grayhawk like this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

6. Sean

Sean Avatar

Skill caps promote diversity is tottally right... if we mix everyone up then we are forced to make friends <3

Isaiah likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Unlike UO we can gain skill in crafting, and adventuring skills at the same time. This means you can have one character and still be able to do both. I agree with @Sean because skill caps do promote diversity, and it also allows us to strategically plan out our personal skill lists. If we can gain every skill then there is really no strategy to creating your own build.

The deck system should not be used as a way to change specs on your character. Some like to argue that we can gain every skill in the game and then just use the deck system to specify what skills we want to use that day. The problem with that is there are "innate skills" that give us special bonuses to hitpoints or strength etc. If every character eventually maxes out then we all will have the same strength, dexterity, intelligence, health, focus, etc., etc. There really is no diversity, and in the end there is no strategy other than building decks of cards.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

With only 1 character there needs to be a way to learn everything we want if we put the time into it. Otherwise, people who want to level all the crafting will have to buy additional accounts. I like to be fully self-sufficiant. My friends do not like to craft. I love to craft.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

i would rather they allow us to add alts to our account than be able to learn everything. One character learning everything only works in a single player game.

Gumpo likes this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

You've heard of SPO and offline play... right?

Treating it as a MMO only or Single-player only will lead to some bad information. They're going to have to try and find a balance between between the two play-styles in the same game.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually I think they did say something a while back about being able to learnl all the skills in offline mode, but they definitely said there will be some kind of skill cap for online mode. There will be no super tank mages that are self-sufficient in the online mode.

12. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

That would work, and make me happy.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I don't want to be a super mage tank...I want to be able to learn most of the mage schools, 1 melee school (staff) and all the crafting. I thought I heard they wanted it to be possible but time consuming to learn most of the skills...I plan to play this game many years so time is no biggie to me.

14. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I loved the 700 skill point system in UO and I really hate tree type systems like WoW. A classic example is Titan Quest - Great game just hated the tree branch skill system.

A 700 Skill Point System promotes diversity and doesn't force you into a class.

Time Lord, Jako and Ara like this.
  15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I'am all for the UO style classless system, but I do agree that some sort of cap does need to be utilized to ensure diversity and balance.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

+1

17. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I believe they have stated that there is no cap and every skill could potentially be mastered, but it would take so long that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  18. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I personally would like to see a cap on skills, but have a separate skill cap for combat and crafting.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

Sounds abit like old DF1 to me and that was a failure system that gave the upper hand to macroers and exploiters.

Game have to have a skillcap.

And i could agree on having different caps for crafting and combat skills.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree with you on this. I think the type of character you mention above is a good one. I hope we have enough skill points at max level to be able to create a character like that, or a warrior with some of the mage skills, and maybe a few weapon specializations or something...

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.