Current healing game mechanic is encouraging antisocial behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheWanderingPoet, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

2 years ago huh? Sounds like it's overdue....

You can cast any spell with the exception of support skills when flagged on another flagged player. As when PvP comes into play everyone is marked as hostile. That's part of why I feel PvP should be dissolved into more of a crime system. That way healing criminals would be the act of aggression.
    Make fighting outside of designated zones frowned upon, but permitted, marking that player as a criminal.
    Of course we'd need a toggle for that as well as to prevent abuse of newbies, which the current system does allow. (Seen it happen and happened to me)

As I've said though, PvP is a natural part of the ideal game. I may not like it, but that's part of how it works. I played Wizardry Online a long while back when it released and this exact mechanic was put into place. There was a crime system and open world pvp even in towns. The only issue was the guards did not protect you so the game became a slaughter-fest. Had the crime system been done better it would have been amazing.

It's all about the delicate balance of risk. Unfortunately it's incredibly delicate XD

Multiple toggles would be nice. Such as the option to decide what tier of what can do what.
    What can heal:
    Any
    Party
    Guild
    etc
    What can buff
    Any
    Party
    Guild
    etc

Would function well to give choices. And while we're at it we can kill the light spell everyone hates having cast on them (make it caster only).

Net and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ya, as I said, we are stuck with this system. I totally understand what you are going for. All I was trying to do is point out the flaws of "consensual gaming" for the present now days. It actually has ruined a lot of ambition such as yours. There is no easy answer. For me the kickstarter promise of consensual gaming is the biggest problem and I hated to point the flaws out. I never meant any ill will toward you. I know your passions rise and mine do also and I apologize for any thing I said that made you upset. I truly wish you could heal people at will. I must say though that that should come at a price for people that do not wish it. It should be an experience to do and learn, laugh or run. The game mechanics should not hinder this.

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I just wanted to say, @TheWanderingPoet, I agree with 2 & 3, for sure, possibly with default ON toggles to allow you to shut off help.

The reality is, we have a vary nice player base. It's a shame the game doesn't take advantage of it.

Chatele and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

we have agreed on a toggle already. This thread has come to that culmination. First of all did you read the entire thread? Second of all if people want to cast on other people without repercussions then we need to change the intentions from the kickstart where it said it will be a purely consensual game.

5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Yes, I'm agreeing. Is that okay? Do I have your permission?

Chatele likes this.
  6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Who would read 8 pages of garbage excuses for not adding a good feature. They threw consensual out the window once they started forcing multiplayer in certain scenes. The only reason this feature is not in the game is because a certain player type does not want someone interfering when things are going their way. I understand this can be abused and used to troll someone in game but if we took everything out that did that it would be a single player game.

7. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

@Berek can we please get this suggestion read below sent to the Dev team for consideration. Most people in this discussion have come to the conclusion that an option to approve heals and buffs in pve would be great. Thanks!

Chatele, Elwyn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

Well when they made gaming consensual I figured that was what single and friend mode were for . I know a few players who don't play in MO because the players treat them very poorly. One was leading massive amounts of monsters to them and dieing to try and kill them.
    So really... no matter what we do people are going to be mean. Life finds a way. So if the player doesn't consent to that, they go to FO/SO.

That's how I read it anyways. But no harm done in your posts. I just know no matter how hard you try to make something fully consent based someone will find a way to be a prick.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya, I actually want you to be able to heal people. I also want to be able to attack people. I RP evil and it would make my game so much better. I generally would not attack randomly though, and I would not be a prick about it, I would do it to people who maybe RP'd a good or holy character, being that I would be there nemesis. But yes, there will always be those who want to just be jackasses and they get there kicks off of disruptive gameplay. Its one of the reasons I wanted guild wars like UO had. You would only be flagged against those who warred you and not open world pvp. This led to many RP battles against enemies that followed rules of engagement. If someone broke the rules then they got booted from the guild.

10. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British

we're 8 pages in and as Dr Z says in her post it would appear there is a consensus here. I can't think of a downside here

cheers

-sol

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed, its quite funny because such things didn't occur on siege perilous, while they were rampant on the main servers, where the supposed "griefing" was supposedly "erradicated" thanks to trammel.

However your saying.. no matter what we do people bla bla... isn't a saying. It's not only false its exactly how jaded those trolls and griefers want to see all communities get to. They relish in the misery of others and people should know by now that when you think you have banned one, a worse one comes back and he's better and more subtle in such a way that his goals aren't so obvious.

LIFE, finds a way *mirror* EFIL, finds no way, it exists only in ignorance and lazyness.

Don't dismiss people who do not consent to pvp interaction, my great plan protects them way more than trammel or the oracle ever did. In fact those are systems designed for kids, whereas mine is designed for adolescents.

SO I ask again... do you think those trolls are lost children, or lost adolescents ?

without consent, I can create order from chaos,

without even having to deal with one, single complaint...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

*CHANNELING YODA" ~ Strong is the force this one has. ^^^^

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Morning, good :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  14. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

And the correct response was: "Combat Mode", "tab" or "stand still!!!" as I recall? :p

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Trihugger like this.
  15. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Good times.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Dean478 like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Perhaps you are hanging out with the wrong people. I never participate in game drama. I'm here to have fun. And while I love so many players I've met in this game I am always open to meet more. Lol we are not in high school hmm or are we j/k.

Grave Dragon and Tiina Onir like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Some don't know about the stealth/ light issue. I didn't. You could have mentioned it lol ;). Now I know though :)

18. Gix

Gix Avatar

I thought I did on [PAGE 1]. I failed to realize that it needed elaboration.

19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Will digest this current discussion and forward to the team to look at!

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I meant in the party you told us about. ;) You said you left party. I wondered if you mentioned to that player ;). yes I do miss things sometimes;). *Sighs*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.