No one wants to play a fantasy game that reminds them they're broke.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I totally agree at the topic in general, but i am convinced this won't happen because it's too romantic and all.
    If you think over , it's all about money and as long as this treatmill runs, it sticks to be about money - unfortunately!

Kaisa and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if the town is ever sold/transferred, either those deeds are useless or the new owner gets a lot of commitments he/she may not want.

3. Nick

Nick Avatar

In the event of a transfer, can't we allow the players to simply sell it back to the vendor? Or new owners have a 30 day trigger to refund the players the gold for the deeds. Players can then seek out another POT to settle in. Surely we can work out a solution for this.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  4. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I think that sounds fair. Just do not take away the opportunity for the busy and rich "over-40 crowd" to buy stuff with real money, because some people simply have more money than time (because they use most of their time to make RL money). But with your proposal also the teenagers, unemployed, and elderly that have a lot of time at their hand but little money could afford cool stuff in the game. I find that's a good idea.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Check out our new mail order catalog. There are some for sale on each S Mart, or message me in game and I'll mail you a free copy. Prices are the same as at our stores, plus shipping. We'll be adding more high end poisons and clocks next release.

Incredibly slowly working towards a Tax Free Town Deed. I will do it with IGG because I have no where near the cashola to buy it with RMT, and it'll be awesome when it happens. I'm mostly doing it through crafting furniture, too.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or being a traveling merchant.

Sean Silverfoot and majoria70 like this.
  7. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

It would be great if one could purchase a house for in-game gold. I spent over 250,000 gold on raffle tickets because I don't want to spend real money on a virtual house, but I didn't win a single raffle.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Originally deeds were included in the PoT pricing. I'm not sure if it was just shown to dev+ or to the general public. But eventually the deeds were taken out of the package because it tied them to what kinds of lots they could have in the PoT. And of course they were a lot more expensive. So port decided to take the deeds away and just sell the PoTs with a total land area, giving the PoT owners the flexibility they wanted.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Portalarium has been very careful to make sure that many items, but not quite everything, in the add-on store have an in-game, craftable equivalent. While it may not be as fancy as the one in the add-on store, they are as functional. Patterns let people who can't, or won't, buy things at the add-on store to have the look in game of those store items.

Is the point to have a splashy launch? The are many ways to do that without making everything in the store available in game. Personally I'd hate for them to do that now, especially with the careful thought given to what I buy during the telethon. To suddenly have everyone buy the same stuff with in-game gold doesn't sit well with me.

10. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I could see Taxable Deeds being sold in game after release. One thing i really don't agree with in regards to what they have done is the POT vs Anywhere deeds. There are a ton of Non POT towns that are just barren.

As for the Taxable Deeds being sold in game. I see this as a good thing. It's not hard to take a snap of the rough value of Deeds in the game. It would further re-inforce the value of Gold in the game which is slowly but surely loosing it's value. With them being taxable would make even greater sinks for gold as more players would be playing.

Either way i am sure that this argument isn't as Binary as your trying to make it @Alleine Dragonfyre .

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  11. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

The game never makes me feel broke cause I usually buy anything I fancy, lol.

I think things are fairly priced and not outside the means of anyone. I consider this game my hobby, so I have no issues dropping a lot of money and investing in it.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Original plans for PoT's included deeds. The price tag of that system would have easily been in the 20k plus range. It was decided that that was way to costly, so it was decided to do the towns and lots individually. That was the gist of it if my old memory serves me.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Hmmm, I have to bring it up. You paid for 6 UO account at either $9.99 or $12.99 per month That's $59.99 a month or $77.94 a month you were paying out, then times that by how many months you had those accounts. A taxfree row bundle runs $275. I'm not seeing how this is anymore expensive. And instead of a monthly fee I can grab a ornate goodie here or there for $5 and up, which is not really needed since everything in store is also available in game. I'm here to get away from mandated monthly fees. I can help back the game when my finances allow me.

14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Hated to miss you when I was down in DC. Had a great time with Kazyn and Jenny. Went to an Irish bar and I was 5 Guinness and 5 shots of Dew in before I knew what was happening! Got to love Uber!! Next time dude!!

15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but zeroing out ppls gold wouldn't actually do ANYTHING to the rich... as they'd just dump their gold into resources, and sell after the reset, allowing them to be as rich as before, and buy up all the deeds...

16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I know, I know, totally bummed to have missed you my man, but I had a brutal summer. Don't know if Brian told you, but I had four surgeries trying to fix a detached retina in my left eye. Absolutely MISERABLE!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yep, he told me, which is why I haven't harrassed you! :eek:

3devious and Cordelayne like this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I on the other hand agree with the OP stuff in the add on store is way expensive, more than it needs to be, I spent well over my amount I should have on this game from the start. because like Majoria I was willing to support something that I though was going to turn out well. am I pleased with the game as is "Nope" do I actually hate this game? sometimes but I always come back for more punishment. so I'm not totally done with the game yet! Stuff is too expensive in my eyes especially houses and deeds. I own a lot of extras from starting this game, some of them ive sold off (answer to why you cant just start over in this game, it would be taking real money and items from people) I cant remember everyone that I sold crap too, and I would feel bad if thre was a complete restart, since I wouldn't know who bought what.

difference in housing in this game "for Andartianna" You cant tell whether a house is about to expire/fall , not like in UO! (so it cant be staked out) Houses in UO were way more customizable, I never bought property for UO outside of the game I made enough gold in the game that I could afford to buy from the realtor there in the game! loot drop in this game is far from good and it would take huge amounts of grinding to afford them, sorry but I do not have as much time as some, I have a life outside of this game as well which prevents me from making the amount I would need at this time in the game.

future insight - Port will sell PA TF lots/houses for cheap at the beginning of the live start, it will kill the market on the deeds temporarily, the only way they could grab other people from other places is to offer something worth checking into the game in the first place, low payment for basic access to the game+cheaper prices on items = sells more and attracts more people. this is a typical business operation when you have competition in the same field (other mmo's) undersell your competitor make all that money! now you have a steady income of cash and the competitor is still waiting for someone to pay 49.00 for the game and then a membership fee for 20.00/month. ( you've already made more than he did in a month or two!) that's how the game is played!

so there is my 2 cents. and my opinion.

Alleine Dragonfyre and K1000 like this.
  19. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

There is a huge difference between 10 dollars for the entire game a month and $275 dollars for a tax free row deed or $550 dollars for a commission free vendor!!!

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Exactly. Thus the even playing field allowing store AND in-game purchase of the same items.

There are those with lots of in-game real estate/cash shop items I see only a few hours a day or week and those I see everyday for hours with very little to show for their time. And then there are the largest portion of gamers that have a lack of both time and expendable cash for virtual items... let's call them the middle class and the largest segment of most 1st world populations and the gaming community at large. Let's not forget those that are under 18 and little income and must choose carefully where to spend their money. These are not "personal problems" as one person said but real life and active responsibility for real life and a balance in things.

Keep things segmented for only the wealthy will turn off a large amount of the player base. There will be a lack of large population, diverse styles or players and forget the energy and enthusiasm 20-something players. They just won't have the incentive to play. Who wants an in-game landlord to beholden to when that's what real life is like. Again, no one wants to be reminded they're broke in their video games. The game is supposed to illicit feelings of power and wealth as a fantasy and part of an epic story. Normally, one quests and plays for these things. Not the case here.

Kaisa and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.