Dear Portalarium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Borinal, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I post negative here all the time. I never take too much slack from people. I definatly dont get hit by one person posting 105 pages of text at me like RAW (to my 1000 total words). If I get to negative, Berek just deletes my post. Some people may argue but they dont go extreme. My point being, you think these two sides are equal that is far from the truth.

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Fiddlers on the roof? ;)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Borinal

Borinal Avatar

MrBlight, just to be clear I (personally) don’t blindly just support the game. I run my own small business and I know what it’s like to be responsible for a team of individuals that depend on you as much as you depend on them. I’ve made a living developing complex back end black box systems, websites, apps, and videos games. Lately I’ve spent a lot of time working on virtual reality creating hyper realistic medical simulations and my team has been traveling the world to interface with cutting edge tech to push the limits of that. We have worked with Unity, Unreal, Stingray, and dabbled with our own engines where suitable. I don’t believe this game to have terrible graphics and gameplay or be years behind the times at all. I know that to a degree Portalarium has lacked the larger studio luxuries of being able to rely on 100% in house original creative work. I deal with the same, in the medical world we have to model custom tools and devices and texture and rig them but anything common that we can get that is already done, we will. I don’t think that there is really anything wrong with that, and they have the ability to come in and in a large sweeping change replace assets with their own original work at any point. I sincerely think that they’ve done a great job with things so far, nothing in this game looks bad in fact I’m quite impressed at what I see on my 4K screens with my high end video cards. Because a lot of modern games do very little at all to optimize for me. Does it look as pretty as something like Rainbow Six Siege with their 20GB high res texture pack and all the bells and whistles? No, but it’s a totally different kind of game as well and maybe people don’t need understand the compromises that are made in real time 3D video fake development when you have larger open world spaces, lots of other people, and complex decorations and NPCs. I think this game looks every bit as good as other games like it in terms of overall visual quality. (I really don’t agree that fallout and similar games are even in the same category) In terms of visual style I personally love it. But to each their own at the end of the day. I really just wanted to be clear that despite what you might think we aren’t all a bunch of ignorant old uneducated sheep that blindly lick LB ******* clean. Most of us actually make highly educated decisions and have discerning tastes. I play a ton of video games spanning all different genres and I appreciate a well made game regardless of bleeding edge 3D studio work or meticulous 2D pixel art or even Han drawn artwork. There is so much more to a game that makes it successful than sexy graphics, don’t get me wrong though people like things to look nice, and SoTA does, if you honesty think it doesn’t you aren’t going to be happy with much in my opinion.

4. Borinal

Borinal Avatar

Anyways the main point I wanted to make here is that if it helps in any way I’ll sign out of my physical rewards no strings attached such as converting it to something digital, etc... just straight up don’t worry about it. I realize that may not be a popular idea but it might be popular enough to make a difference in what working capital these guys have to do more with, the physical goods aren’t that important to me, and probably aren’t to a lot of us. I’m also far from a beacon of sunshine, I upgraded my pledge at a point that I didn’t understand what I was getting out of it and I made a bit of a stink about it, I felt bad but I also felt justified. They handled the criticism very well I felt and I was satisfied with the outcome of things. We’re working with real people here like you and I that care as much as we do. I know that whatnot I was really buying was a game, I know that a lot of people felt like they were buying physical goods, and I don’t criticize you for holding onto that expectation. I also have no doubt that they will make good on it in time. But if surrendering my pledge (as a movement, obviously mine alone doesn’t help a ton, I’m not going to kid myself there) means not having to figure out another month of payroll or server upkeep for a few months, keep it.

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I actually didnt hit on graphics at all in my post? And meerly responded to the the numerous threads regarding what i referenced but okay.

I imeedietly think of black dessert when it comes to graphics this game vs that game. Same budget. Same time. Etc.

Then i flick into thinking of Camalot Unchained and realize they built their own engine on a smaller budget, and their game is on the road to being the same size scale.

But i actually.. wasnt referencing graphics, but more actual gameplay ( in regards to the other posts ).

As for not everyone licks rg clean.. yea i agree.. yet some people did buy his blood.... and thats all im going to touch on that with.

And i think its a solid gesture and i respect that.. but i think physical goods were a huge reason people kick started, and dont think its someyhing they will / should sidee step.

Honestl if you dont want your goods, its as simple as not submitting a shipping address, or hitting up customer support with an email. Who knows, it might help reduce the workload.

6. Borinal

Borinal Avatar

I think you are probably right there, most of us really believe in him and have enjoyed everything he has been a part of. Maybe a lot of people that are upset about things just had totally different expectations coming into this. I seen supporting it as a way to give something new and unique a chance to grow. I haven’t been impressed with any games in the genre for a long time. Every one of them feels mostly like the same quest/exp grind with different lipstick. Sure he didn’t literally build everything himself, but there is no doubt where the influence comes from.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I have read stuff also on Reddit that is so far off from what actually happened or will happen imo and responding to it I know is so tempting because people are so unaware of what is going on in this game right now. They think the past shape of the game provided all the answers and told the whole story but we know they are wrong and arguing is not going to prove it to these know it all people.

Actually this game is not about end game, it is a sandbox duh with more episodes coming that will add so much more. Episode two for example is about boating and who knows what else fantastic will get added with that episode. It is better to just ignore and play the game. Let the Development team and players prove and start to show these guys that are out of touch with reality to what is happening to this game as it prepares for launch. The development team knows what is at stake and now we just keep up the momentum big time to release.

Big things to push for a great release:

Performance, loadtimes, optimization
    Satisfying and fun Loot and reward system.
    Quests, achievements, tasks, discoveries everywhere (I mean everywhere). Don't skimp which means no empty npc buildings with no meaning or things left behind form vacant or missing people who used to live there. Why explore if we are not going to get a feel for why the vacancies.
    Clarity: In scenes, journal, quests(where to find them, where to go to complete them hints)
    This is a housing game so we need a good Rental system in place, easy for new players to rent or find housing and housing answers and options not dependent on other players. ****strong**** This creates roots in the game, pride of ownership.
    Fix crafting to be more satisfying and less abusive based, give in and reward us for our efforts as well as giving the feel of the challenge improved.(revamp it) ;) Such as discovered recipes, skills, titles etc, ***not just metal scraps***

Through our feedback and the heat charts in game the Devs will know things that are popular with players and implement more of those things into the game for us.

People do not know what they don't know
    and some will keep talking about what they don't know
    and show off their ignorance
    as the people who do know what they are talking about
    start to take over the conversation.

Hmmm should I make that into a bumper sticker lol j/k but *thinks about it still*.;) This will be what happens over time as this game continues to get what it needs to release.

Budner likes this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Fair enough.
    I personally dont feel the same, nor did any of the RL buddies who came in with me. It felt exactly the opposite of what you claimed. So i fully understand where people feel burned.

My point is, there are people claiming ( in this thread ) that people dont appreciate Sota simply because they dont knwo what a good game is. ( and bla bla ) which is what i originally responded about.
    Personally if you HAVE played a lot of stuff and hsve real games you can compare them to, it at least supports your argument.
    My problem simply stems from people who have clearly not brushed up on any products in the gaming industry in the last 20 years, and think thst mskes the game ground breaking, and anyone who doesnt think so * doesnt know what good games are *.
    Preeeetty sure i didnt single you out, but i do still disagree with you whole take on the game, where its at, and the idea that it hasnt been done before.
    But from an RG standpoint, ive actually felt let down. Luckily im not a die hard fan of his, though that may explain some of the extemists that took it personally.

Mykll likes this.
  9. Borinal

Borinal Avatar

Graphics were a big topic on that subreddit and I just disagreed with it. That wasn’t in direct reply to you. You’re right I could have just opted out but as I stated I know that it wouldn’t make a huge difference just on my own. I’d like to get awareness and a petition or process going so that enough people can do it (if they want to as well) to make a difference. I’ll opt out either way.

Anyways I’d really like to not see this thread go down hill so I’m going to refrain from continuing to respond to anything that detracts from the core purpose of this thread as I believe it’s a bit of a rabbit hole and an excercise in futility (I do very much respect everyone’s opinion, emotion, and love a good debate though). I realize that a lot of people might not feel the same way that I do but for those that do let’s have our voices be heard.

10. Borinal

Borinal Avatar

I always felt like this style of game was appreciated more by a certain kind of person. A lot of people loved everquest and wow and I never really enjoyed them. So yeah I don’t believe that it has to do with age or being around for the Golden whatever. It’s just a different taste in the types of reward stimulation that you prefer. This game definitely in my opinion appeals more to the sandbox/Minecraft fans than it does lineage/wow/etc. I just don’t like the idea that some physical goods being owed to me are a burden to anyone (regardless of if things worked out perfectly as planned or not, I have no hard feelings) when it was never really why I backed the game to begin with.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The very first online game i played was subspace, and one thing really unique about that (its still running but barely) is that people scripted bots to run events in thier arenas. Kinda like an irc bot but it would be capable of using game-admin commands.

This would be a supercool feature (to allow GM bots) to run events in towns or custom dungeons @Chris >.>

12. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Yes, we don't stalk and harass others as some of those reddit trolls do. It's pretty sad that you're comparing us with the likes of those people!

jammaplaya likes this.
  13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Must one even make comparisons to decide if there is enjoyment to be had? I've enjoyed Richard Garriott's output in the past. I'm enjoying it at present. I don't have any games waiting in the wings, promising MORE enjoyment, although if I look hard enough I'll surely find something. I'm not looking. I enjoy what I've found. I have hopes that it will get better.

BTW I Kickstarted for no other reason that I believe you vote with your dollars and I wanted to support an experimental development process from a known explorer.

Lord Ravnos and gadget like this.
  14. Borinal

Borinal Avatar

Subspace was such an awesome game!!!!!!!

15. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

This absolutely applies just as equally to these forums and many users and discussions here.

Jens_T, MrBlight, Mykll and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Beat me to it.

MrBlight, Preachyr and majoria70 like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol yes my Christmas wisdom. ;) This game is only beginning and these words will always find their mark ;) I don't say I know everything but I do play and I don't give up. I don't say this game is or will be for everyone as it develops more and more but for some it will be a big part of their life for many years to come. Happy Holidays everyone. I am off to celebrate. Happy 2017. May this year go out with a bang with many more to look forward to.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

People dont even realize how much the Raw group trolls there forums with alts (their mains have been banned), posts links to threads here to throw our crazy conspiracy and rip on players. They have active campaigns the rile people up, create reverse psychology and subvert threads. They are quite successful doing it to. Again, social engineers. There is even been recent talk about "lawyering" up against actual players who they think talk to them in a mean way... on anonymous internet forums lol. For a game they havnet player in years, dont like yet post drop thousands of posts about it still.

19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Generalizations and nothing more. That's kinda the same some individuals on both sides are doing. Only difference is where they are allowed to post their accussations. ;) In general you can have very decent information from several posters that also deliver a source. The devastating press this game has and how it is seen in the gaming community in general can only be discussed there and the shroudoftheavatar reddit. There is truth on both sides, and it is a failure of the moderation team here that manifested in having this...

20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I mean..
    That and theres like 50 unique, regular forum users that post.. so if someones coming in here to spam.. they should step up their game lol.

Side note. The normal Sota subreddit is just as awful. Take the * official fact list!* for example.
    I couldnt do anything but laugh at that one heheh

This exactly. Theres extremists on both sides.
    Either way.. thats anothrr whole discussion.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Mykll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.