Strangers constantly friend requesting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't necessarily think that is a bad system but, as I posted in your thread about teleport, I think it should be limited to party members.

2. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I personally accept anyone that adds me to their friend's list. I typically don't initiate the friend request unless it is someone I recognize from the forums or I am making a transaction with. I understand the concern for some people of random people adding them to their friend's list just for the sake of teleporting. I don't use teleport all that often, I am too cheap. :) I am not sure of fix for this issue other than a auto-decline option.

Tiina Onir and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

Agreed.

I friend as many people as humanly possible in order to insta-travel with scrolls to increase what I consider to be constructive play-time. Heck, if there was an 'ADD ALL PLAYERS' button I'd hit that in an instant. If those I friend want to chat or need help, even better. I'm not going to be shy about that. It was a different story when I first started playing of course.

Its a game mechanic, so many people will use it to be as efficient as possible. If that mechanic changed to no scrolls at all, or a different teleportation method entirely then most people would likley be fine with that and still play within the boundaries that have been set out. I'm not saying its the best possible method currently but people will always usually gravitate to the easiest method of play. I like the idea of slower travel and independant commerical zones, but I also want to join people and be in the action ASAP. Tough balance of which has been discussed 100s of times over.

Suggestions on other methods are great, but every one always has big weaknesses.
    Do you allow limited teleports per player? - Well then people will abuse alts more.
    Do you allow moongate travel and overworld map travel only? - Well then party play gets damaged.
    Do you allow 'rune' style location recalling? - Well you might be able to abuse maps in weird ways for spawns and insta-loot. It also kills regional production and the idea of control points.
    Do you make scrolls super expensive and rare? - Well power players will leverage a bigger advantage over causal players.

The best thing about SOTA is the 'Play any way you want'(TM) style. If you dont want it, dont use it. Its a bit odd moaning about it! The important thing is to allow people to play how they want and not get too upset if they like to play within the rules differently. It is your choice to be at a possible productivity disadvantage currently, and that's totally fine! PVPers often dont like adding random friends due to the chances of them being tracked down. Again, just a different play style within in the boundaries of the game.

I can appreciate it would be a bit annoying having a 32x32 icon constantly appearing in your HUD if you dont, so yeah. A block-all friend request option or at least an option to hide that would be cool for those that want to do their own thing and play another way. Why not I guess! Not sure its a priority for launch though? :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    majoria70, Tiina Onir and FrostII like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, 99% of what we complain about isn't a priority for launch. But this one is a pretty minor problem, I think. I don't want to auto-decline, as I do occasionally want to add people. So having to occasionally decline requests is a small price. Maybe when I hit fifty or so, I'll just play in Friends Only all the time.

Of course, I've also heard people with really large friends lists complain that it's annoying to have their chat logs filled with people logging in/out...

Elwyn likes this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

lol this thread... first world problem :p I get friend requests, oh no :p

"I just refuse them" lol... didn't know you could do that :p

Personally I haven't received a single, not one, friend request since persistence.

All those who've added me is because we adventured or planned to in the future, most often on my request.

If you all want to have that kind of peace, just embrace my philosophy lol... it repels people even while they don't know it, which makes me a paragon of peace :D

And don't think its because I'm a hermit, I spend most of my time in cities roleplaying and trying to get people in role (which is harder than it seems). The rest of the time I team up with people and adventure, but its often the same people.

@Barugon an experienced player such as you should know how to use the mail system to know when someone last logged in :p

BTW last night my game was running a solid 20 FPS and I could even double click stuff and I had fun, its starting to take shape :)

6. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

I can appreciate that.
    To counter that, I have a few tabs I've created in the chat window. You know you can customise what is displayed?
    I tend to have the first window with everything in it, that I pretty much ignore. Then I have all chats in the second window. Finally all combat logs in the third.

Not sure if that will help you but its deffo worth knowing if you didnt already.

majoria70 and Spoon like this.
  7. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

It does, just hover your cursor over the persons name.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Barugon like this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I wouldn't say that, I would say you're just more SELECTIVE in your friendships. ;)

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I see what you did there.
    Touché ^^

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, @majoria70 already mentioned this. Thanks though.

11. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I just go through my friends list once a month and take out people i dont know.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think the issue for them is that those notifications are part of another group of info they prefer to keep on; there's no way to just shut off the login/logouts.

13. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'd love a "automatically accept friends" setting! I think having both would awesome!

(no, none if this should be taking priority over things for launch. but in a few months, it would be nice!)

14. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

It would be nice to have another tab, one for teleport buddies.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And really it is nice to see where people are playing. Not to be stalker like but it is interesting to me to know. Perhaps players are teleport only on your friends list and you don't see their name. It could just say teleport to *unknown*

A lot of times players may teleport to a location someone is in and then switch to friends online which allows you to have the scene to yourself or to you and your party as well.

To easily switch just Click on the gears in the upper right section of your screen and select multi-player and select friends mode.

Remember you cannot Teleport to someone who is in a different mode than you. You will know if you're in friends mode if you see the word *solo* below the scene name. You won't be able to see other players in this mode at this time unless they are in your party. You can whisper to players if they are on your friends list still if you are in friends and they are in multiplayer.

If you don't see your compass at all ClicK *m* (it is default setting) and if you don't see players names click *n*. These toggle and are easy to accidentally click on. I never click on *tab* either it messes with your control of the game.

Also *t* toggles auto attack and free attack.

16. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

I don't think I would call him an expert.

Numa likes this.
  17. Patchup

Patchup Avatar

I use the Comment section a lot. Many in my Flist I just have due to accepting, but if I join a party, have a good interaction, or justy feel like I would like to remember them , I make a comment to remind me who and why I added them.

I would like to the teleport spell work with friends and guild lists so I don't have to add all guildies to my Flist. Although it is a nice little ritual when a player joins the guild. Like shaking virtual hands.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  18. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

Exactly; and how do you know they are needing a port. Maybe they want to see if you are in a PvP zone sometime down the road :confused:

Cock of the North and Bow Vale like this.
  19. shathiell

shathiell Avatar

I get why this is an issue, however this is the first game (For some reason) where I haven't minded the constant friend requests. Feel free to /friend Belegen Vensworn anytime in game!

Montaigne and majoria70 like this.
  20. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Avatar

At first I thought it odd that I was getting random friend requests when no one said a word after I accepted them.
    It wasn't until around the fifth one I finally twigged they were after mobile teleport anchors.
    Now I just accept any that come in as it makes no difference to my game and I'm happy to help others jump around the map

Montaigne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.