Strangers constantly friend requesting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Might send you a friends request, would love a Dangerous Dave in my list :)
    I have a friend called Big Dave, hes BIG, 6ft 8 and looks dangerous.....but isn't..

2. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Avatar

You are welcome to add me, but you might be disappointed in my Avatar name as that's 'Fluffy Dave'. I'm based in Jaanaford, but recently been hitting Elysium mines for the Silver now I can handle the ghosts (usually)

Barugon likes this.
  3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Fluffy Dave is even better :)

Added, and ive chatted him to death, i think he be grateful from now on with the non speakers :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. eli

eli Avatar

I don't do it for the teleport.

You are all my friends whether you like it or not

5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

That is actually a very good idea. Right click drop-down, or something in the interface menu. Seems that couldn't possibly be that hard to implement since the little graphic already exists in both "shown," and "not shown" states.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I take the Lord British approach, accept everyone’s friend request that wants to be my friend.

There was only one time I had to un-friend a friend. :(

7. Ragnarr Lodbrok

Ragnarr Lodbrok Avatar

I think a random friend request are players who want to either be friendly showing community support, building their friend list, which is typical actions of todays society due to social media's FB and so forth. I believe its how you interpret the request as a individual. When I first started playing SOtA I rejected request, then later on I saw a "reason" to accept them, which was for easier travel. I use to only friend my Guild mates. So I suppose I have become more open minded to a random friend request. Most of those was players either sitting in Novia, hitting up everyone who ran buy or players shopping in the same town you was at the time. So I wouldn't take random friend request personal, just think of it as improving the games community and travels.

8. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Indeed if you are using the teleport mechanic in SotA knowing a lot of strangers might be important but e.g. for myself this isn’t of any interests as at least since FW I did not used a single scroll and do not plan to change this behavior as I personally see there no need to teleport...but of course I might be a rare exception. ;)

But thinking about it maybe the devs should adjust the mechanic somehow. Renaming it to “index of known persons” or something alike and just like it is with the management of e.g. guilds you can change the status or can add tags to the avatars on this list. (e.g. stranger, acquaintance, friend, besty, family, guild,…). That way even those who would currently just like to have friends in their friend lists might more likely add strangers as they are not automatically marked as their friends and also this list would be alot more neat and tidy if you could filter this list.
    I’m currently not sure but I think there was also a property right “friends” and with such a change this might need an adjustment too to give just those in your list access that have a specific status/tag.
    Maybe it could be even possible to add NPCs to your “index of known persons”...but I think just the NPCs should be able to invite an avatar and just if the avatar earned their respect. Maybe even with the possibility to lose them as friends if you do something the "wrong" way.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd have no problem with divorcing the fast travel mechanic from the friends list mechanic, provided that a suitable alternative for teleportation was implemented.

While I doubt we'd ever get runebooks to go anyplace from anyplace, placeable deco items with that function (to allow you to create a destination hub) would be a decent way to supercede this - you'd still have to return 'home' to use it (or go into a town and use theirs). You could even make them significant cash sinks to create. This would essentially eliminate the need for teleport-to-friend as people could actually get places in a reasonable amount of time. Even if these were nonspecified and just teleported you to the world map at the relevant region - ie Drachvald, Grunvald, Quel, Midmaer, etc. Think of the potential for creating such things, quests, gathering things from all zones in the region to craft them, etc...

I don't like the long list of strangers either, but sadly, the game is designed around this premise, presumably intended to faciliate people meeting up to group together. An alternate travel method would achieve this just as well.

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Perhaps as I've said a while ago they should just make it so the person being teleported to needs to drop a unique consumable rune, maybe its a one use but make it as easy to craft as the scrolls. Rune stays active for fixed amount of time.

Problem fixed :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.