Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

200 gold per day in taxes?

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Scraps MacMutt, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Isn't a row lot cost like 60k in game? Bigger lots cost even more. Buying the deed would already grant you some edge, especially when you still have it after wipe

bwtdozer and 4EverLost like this.
  2. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

200g a DAY? I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm not for some reason. For us peasants it's not just the lots that are taxed though. Potentially you're looking at vendor taxes, public garden plot taxes, additional character slot taxes, etc. And people like Drocis are calling for taxes on all kinds of other stuff in this game as well. This is on top of all the other expenses in the game too that you opted out of if your RL wallet was big enough (bank slots, replacing worn out crafting tools, etc).

But of course you don't need any of this stuff to play the game, everyone!

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Due to a large amount of storage we can have with just a row house, there isn't much need to get bigger lot just to get thing started as a regular adventurer.

However, for POT owner, I do see their issue with not being able to use at least village or town lot size to create town square area due heavy tax levy in the long term. Since row lot come with a house, so you can't use it for a common area.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

With a little thought town squares can be built without using a lot. Then once we get benches we can place, will be even better.

SeleneNoctua and bwtdozer like this.
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

My thoughts on taxable lots is the pricing is not out of whack, the amounts for rows and villages seem extremely affordable while town and city need more of a group effort but still doable.

Question: if a guild town is your idea why wouldn't the guild members help offset the costs of guild / town use lots?

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thought I'd provide some math on my previous post in this thread:

In the course of 15 minutes I walked from the center of town in Owl's Head to North Valeway which is located directly to the south. I killed 10 skeletons, some spiders and a few bears. Then I walked back and sold the stuff I didn't want to keep. I was able to do this at level 16 using only 1st and 2nd level spells, special items or add-on store stuff at all. But I've been doing this since I was level 1, with the starting skills and gear (which oh by the way is actually better than what I'm wearing now, it just looks stupid).

You can see here that a skeleton will give you quite a bit of STUFF that you can sell to NPC's.
    [​IMG]

Here's another screen shot of me looting a skeleton for reference.
    [​IMG]

So here I am after just 15 minutes of play selling 449 gold worth of junk. I kept other items that I wanted to use for myself. I'm also not counting the direct gold I got from the skeletons at all. Let's assume that we made enough to buy some repair kits or something. It's actually probably more than that.
    [​IMG]
    So that comes out to approximately 2.5 days worth of taxes (at 200 gold per day) in just 15 minutes. Meaning that if you wanted to pay off a months worth of taxes, it would take you a grand total of 186 minutes or 3.1 hours.

Now I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that 3.1 hours to pay off an entire months worth (31 days) of taxes is reasonable if not maybe a little on the cheap side.

7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Don't forget about Vendor Tax and equipment repair/replacement. By itself, it appears viable. "Cheap" might be premature, but it's certainly not bad.

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Wait for what? Everyone that has commented on this thread has multiple Tax Free lots (myself included). We just feel that the daily rate is too high regardless of when it is paid (daily, weekly, monthly). And not everyone's playing style is to go out every time they want to play and spend time (rather it is 30 minutes or 3 hours) grinding for gold instead of crafting, house decorating, enjoying community events, managing their POT / Guild, or just sitting on your deck watching the clouds go by. We don't expect those who enjoy going out every day killing creatures to understand or those who actually have all the time in the world to spend hours playing. Some of us have very limited time and are unable to play every single day.

I don't think the OP was asking how to gain the gold in order to pay the lot tax. I think we all know that grinding out in the wild will gain us gold. I think he was commenting that the Tax is way too high and that he will not be able to use his 3 Town Lots for his POT and pay the taxes without spending way too much time grinding for gold. And before anyone posts and says "Then ask your residents to pitch in" - maybe that's not the way his POT is designed. I know the POT I am in does not expect the residents to pay lot taxes nor is there an expectation that living there will cost anything.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now, but really? Do we always have to respond to any OP on every topic within this forum with "Well, if you would just play the way I do you wouldn't have the issue".

Bottom line is, the OP will have to pay 18,000 gold a month on Taxes for those 3 lots that he plans on using in his POT. That just might not leave enough to purchase the repair kits needed for repairing his gear after grinding or purchasing other items for personal use or for the POT. So whether we are able to grind out the gold each month is not the issue. The issue is - The Lot Taxes are too high for Add-on Store Lot Purchases.

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Let me clarify above I meant help offset the taxes.

10. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Though it would be a burden on myself (like a grain of sand in the shoe), I am willing to take a City lot off someones hand if they wish to gift it to me

But if I bought a deed in the store with real money, hell ya i want it tax free

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I did comment that I wasn't even adding all the direct gold I got from the skeletons and I assumed they would allow you to buy a repair kit.

It is just 15 minutes and we're talking about taxes for an entire month in 3.1 hours. So I think a typical casual player is quite capable of that (as it stands today).

Womby and 4EverLost like this.
  12. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

So I have a city lot from the store to eventually use with my POT... I was under no illusions that it would be quite some time before I could afford to place it in my town and mange the rent for it. I agree with BDF that it is possible if you spend time to get the money... if you are more casual (and I am) I realize I will have to wait until I strike it rich before I can place my city lot. No problem for me... I don't plan on having my POT up and running on day one (or anytime in the soon after release... heck it might be closer to a six months to a year... after I've gotten done with a lot of other stuff.)

13. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

That is correct. My goal is to attract new players and current guild members to live in my towns. Providing public spaces for crafting and farming is a good incentive to live there. Providing these spaces for free is an even better incentive. I bought the extra lots with this in mind. I knew they weren't tax free, I just didn't expect the taxes to be so high. Some people don't consider these taxes too high, that's fine, I do. The bottom line is that if they had listed the current daily tax cost with each lot in the add-on store I would not have bought them.

I've already contacted support about getting my 3 lots converted to store credits so I can buy another pledge that has a tax-free town lot. That solves my immediate problem; however, I'm still quite concerned about how these taxes will likely deter new players from wanting to own property, at least anything bigger than a row lot. I still have plenty of open space to fill up in my towns and not everyone in my guild will have tax-free lots.

Kaisa, DeadSpider and amaasing like this.
  14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Question: I only have ever seen reference to 200 gold per day. Just for clarification, is it 50/day for Row, 100/day for Village, 200/day for Town, and 400/day for City?

15. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Yes.

smack likes this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

We all knew the risks of property. We all knew that the tax able lots would have tax . We all knew the tax would not be forgiven. Or why else is the tax free versions a better buy.

I want to Thank you for guessing how I play. You are wrong.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    SeleneNoctua, 4EverLost and bwtdozer like this.
  17. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

Well there is also the flip side to this issue. If the taxes on the lots (specifically the Town and city) are too low you devalue one of the main perks for pledging to the higher tiers: a tax-free deed.

This. Anytime the devs have been asked about the exact cost of taxes they have said the larger lots (town and city) would take more commitment to pay. That row and village lots would be reasonable and obtainable. Look at the npc and PRT towns in game now. How many town and city lots are there. Not that many. Thats because they are supposed to be the rarer housing option. Either you spent lots of time to earn in-game and to maintain housing option. Or you bought one to have at the beginning and still need to pay taxes that are set at a level to help keep them a more rare/special in game. Or you pledge to a tier with a tax-free one.

This is a good point. I haven't kept up with whats place-able by the owner on POT land but isn't this a viable solution for town squares.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Senash Kasigal and 4EverLost like this.
  18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

So I had a thought on this topic, and thought I'd mention it so people can test it out.

If you own a POT and own 1 or more any sized lot deeds (from add on store)... you might be able to use it as a tax free deed.

This depends on what you plan to place on the lot to warrant whether it's worth it or not, but here was my idea:

POT Owner places lot types and restricts to whatever account owns the lot deed.

Place the lot and never pay taxes when due.

When time expires to pay taxes and they are not paid, lot deed and all deco contents go to bank.

Go to bank, remove deed and deco, place back on same plot.

Rinse, repeat every 2 weeks or whatever grace period is.

As long as that lot only has a public building or statue or requires minimal resetting... this could be feasible.

If not paying taxes restricts same owner from just reclaiming... you could pass the deed off to another account to do it.

I think there will be some way to circumvent taxes if you don't mind redoing the lot setup often.

What do you all think?

19. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Won't work... Port stated that the lot can't be placed again until back taxes are paid. They thought of that scenario you laid out. (I thought of it too ages ago but figured they would come up with a way to prevent it...) :)

20. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

God who the @#$% wants to worry about tax in a game? That should be a real world worry and one of the reasons i decided to pledge early for a tax free lot.

Kaisa, Moonshadow, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.