1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

$3.25M Stretch Goal: Lord British vs. Darkstarr Fencing in Puffy Shirts!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm broke and really would love to get those six packs. I'm hoping I can refer some people or help transition some people to Founder status to use referral funds for that purpose.

Sadly, everyone I knew that would be interested in this game I turned onto it during the KS and before there were referral rewards. I also posted my thread in the Player Marketplace late. It seems a few people got referrals early, and now more people are flocking to use those people as they are established and trustworthy.

I think these add-ons will help funnel more money into development, making the game better for everyone.

However, part of the reason Star Citizen is about to hit 39 million is that they are continuing to give stretch goals. They're giving considerable incentive for people to continue to open their wallet. I get that you need to avoid feature creep to release at a reasonable date (I expect this game to be delayed, but not horribly so). But additional funds can mean hiring more staff to get work done quicker, or pick up the load of additional work. I'd at the very least like to see Portalarium honor the $2.25 million stretch goals of expanded character customization and mod tools, or perhaps think of some new stretch goals that add value to the game without introducing too much feature creep.

2. smack

smack Avatar

I think that's one reason but I don't think it's the biggest driving factor to their growth. Once they went past around $16M or so, they had to make up new goals to keep up with the additional funds. I'd guess that they can stop announcing goals altogether and it wouldn't affect their trends that much in the short term.

I don't think there's any new features that will excite a high volume of new backers to SotA. The masses are holding back because of what they currently see, or rather don't see or haven't seen. I think the dev team should grow by about 5-10 more people for just the existing features/goals.

NRaas likes this.
  3. enderandrew

Given that the last stretch goal that was announced that we know is being honored is $2 million, they could offer a $3.5 million goal for a considerable feature. If they were comfortable delivering every promised feature at $2 million, I would hope/assume that the additional $1.5 million could be applied to hiring more staff.

There are some things that they said we're not likely to see until Episode 2 that they could turn into Episode 1 features if they got enough staff (mounts or mounted combat) that might attract serious investment from the players.

Or like I suggested in another thread, just bring in name talent like Felicia Day/Codex Dragon. She is a huge Ultima Fan. The addition of her as a stretch goal would undoubtedly make more money for the project than it would cost to hire her, and it wouldn't add crazy work load for the staff.

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Sadly, the referral pledges can't be used in the add-on store, they can only be added to your pledge. So only do the founder upgrades if you want to reach a new tier. I've still got people trickling in but it isn't like it was the first weekend. I'm only half way to lord. So if I don't reach my goal by april 7th I'll have to use the pledges on an additional pledge, making a citizen or edelman account.

I believe darkstarr mentioned in this thread that the extra funds are being used to hire additional artists.

(I'd rather have more artists than Felicia Day.. yeah she is popular in nerd circles, and who doesn't love Dr. horrible's sing along blog? but it wouldn't make much sense to hire her.. what would she do? pledge campaigns? meh..)

I knew more people that were into wing commander than were into ultima.. so there might be a bit of your reason for fewer backers, however, keep in mind, star citizen has been collecting money for quite a bit longer, I think as we hit beta we'll see a big influx of backers. Star Citizen started more than a year earlier than this game, and this game will be out before star citizen is, and star citizen has a publisher backing it as well, mo monies, mo rules for the devs to follow.

NRaas likes this.
  5. enderandrew

Half-way to Lord? :eek:

I sadly have zero referrals. I'd be ecstatic if I could get to Developer or Citizen.

Felicia Day worked on Fallout: New Vegas and Dragon Age 2 as a voice actress for a companion character. As a writer, she actually designed and wrote the character for Dragon Age and then performed that character for both motion capture and voice acting. She did good work.

So she absolutely can contribute to a video game in more than adding a name.

Aeryk likes this.
  6. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

This is all in good fun. ^_^b Something to get everyone excited that is not directly related to the game. You should enjoy it and support it just to see what happens. You don't need a direct reward to enjoy yourself every time.

Just think about how fun it will be to see Lord British and Darkstarr in puffy shirts fencing and then jumping into the lake.

^_^b Just enjoy the fun in it all.

Godra71 and NRaas like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I was watching some of the earlier live stream videos during the campaign and this question did come up while Richard was on. He actually said he'd make a note to reach out to her so that may have been forgotten or she declined.

8. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

I'll do my very best to join the event. It's a looooooong way from Italy but i'll try hard. Hopefully once in Austin some good guy will give me a lift by car ^_^

9. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

Well, it's going to happen. I look forward to it, but even more to playing the game.

NRaas likes this.
  10. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Well, if we can get $2,000 in 2 days we'll get the training montage at least? :D *waves pompoms*

11. Godra

Godra Avatar

I think that will happen without a doubt. But the $3.3 million for the take a swim in the lake may not happen. However, just maybe, just maybe, they will both jump in the lake anyway for good laughs. They can do it in the name of the Royal Founders if they wanted too!!! ;)

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

1.5k to go!

It's gona'' be today:D
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

13. Rustic Dragon

Rustic Dragon Proprietor of the Hearth

Even I've personally gifted a few pledges to help gets us there. (And no, I didn't get any company discounts) :)

Go team cold water!

14. enderandrew

You'll need to prepare some nice hot cocoa for after (preferably with some Frangelico in it!)

15. TheLarper

TheLarper Avatar

bit of advice for Darkstarr remember when lord British said he would do anything to help u with this match. hold him to it by asking him to take a dive :)

16. enderandrew

Neither Honorable, Honest nor Valorous to take a dive just because someone tried to trick you into it.

17. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

3.25! Let the games begin!

Rhiannon, Akeashar, smack and 2 others like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

19. smack

smack Avatar

Sweet! $3.25M achieved!

[​IMG]

Onward to $3.3M in the next few days! It's going to be tough, but let's do what we can to see them jump in the lake!

Bump those pledges!
    Gift the game to family and friends!
    Get caught up on your Prosperity items!
    Buy a lot deed!
    And then add a house or basement!

Rhiannon, mitchellhamilton and rild like this.
  20. Ardog

Ardog Avatar

I had a small part in pushing that over, but just a drop in the bucket compared to all who pledged before me and I am gracious for that!!!

Akeashar and smack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.