553 reviews on Steam and 154 Negative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maxxgold, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I guess your going to overlook the 400 positive reviews and just concentrate on the 154 negative ones. You don't have to tell me UO was your first MMO because there were none before it... It was the first one, so... What's your point? The only ppl hoping sota would be something different are the "154 old UO" players and there're 3 times that who like it, so... What's your point? Don't you think that if ppl want to play "offline" that that's their right to do so and not be dictated by you... They still have to buy the product, and cha ching another sale to a happy customer... That kind of makes you mad, knowing sota has 1,000,000 sales waiting, kind of like WoW or EQ taking all the UO players away... Too bad UO got left in the dust and didn't want to change...

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Just imagine how those of us who liked the real Ultima's feel...

Sir Cabirus and Alexander like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I feel pretty good! :)

4. Pharticus

Pharticus Avatar

It has 72% positive reviews so far. That is now bad for the price being asked for this game. How steam goes nowadays it is very hard to get even to the 70% positive level unless your game is very cheap and very good. you know how it is nowadays, PC gamers are very cheap on Steam and want all the games at 75% off or more or in a bundle.

So saying that, I think this game has great reviews on there for how early in alpha it is and how rough the gameplay and graphics and so on are. If the game keeps on improving then it should get more and more interest and good reviews from people on there.

I know I keep on suggesting for people to buy in and try it and hope in the end we have a great game to enjoy.

5. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Well I did my review not sure if it will help anyone but at least it's another positive one for SotA
    imo 154 bad reviews on steam aint much at all.. though 400 good ones is pretty low considering this community ;)

Same here only got the one to buy it though, bought 2 accounts for friends... cheap bastards :p they are in the game now at least mission success!

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Read the reviews. They claim they were lied to and swear they were promised something that was never promised. So they seek to slander the game while they're not being entirely honest.

If the negative reviews were honest and objective, then that would be another story. There are plenty of areas you can offer valid criticism. Instead, there was petulant behavior from people swearing they were promised this would be an exact clone of launch UO and anything else was fraudulent.

Edit: All the people I've talked to who like the game say they haven't written a review and didn't plan to until launch. That is why the percentages are worse than most Steam games. You're only seeing the angry vocal minority.

Sir Cabirus, Elhaym, Logain and 3 others like this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

There is an active coalition of people that are trying to post negative comments. They slander and try to diminish the game. They plan and go to other game sites and post negative reviews. This is so also true with steam. They have openly talked about going and down voting every up vote, and up voting every down vote. Its sad really but reviews are not something I even look at anyway.

8. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I noticed this too. They are very quick to up-vote negative reviews as soon as they are written (to make those reviews appear as 'helpful').

9. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I added my positive review. That's 556 positive 72% now. I'm glad OP pointed this out as well. Gives us a kick in the backside to remind us that if we are enjoying the game then we should all take a minute to write up the darn review, lol!

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Myrcello, you are a very well spoken person, and I admire much of what you write. However, you are representing someone other than yourself and you are interpreting his statements just like the rest of us. It would be good if the OP expressed his own views, just like you should express your own views.

Sean Silverfoot and Elhaym like this.
  11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Let me enlighten you how negative Reviews land at most Helpful.

Basically doing comments is how a Review can land at most helpful.

So if someone does a negative comment and you all who are thinking positive of the negative review start to comment on that review telling them why you think he is wrong - will at the end push the negative review further up to most helpful.

So happy to give you this wonderful information. Maybe comment more on the positive reviews .

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

that is good information. I did not know how the process worked.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand your sentiment, but everyone can read the text, you read it one way, others read another. It is nothing that should get you angry as its simple conversation or debate. :)

14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

check the Percentage of Likes the Most Helpful Reviews have. Normaly the one with the most Likes % show up first. but when you move down you will notice the First most Negative Review Showing up with less Like % then the below most Helpful ones but still above them in ranking.

This was caused because now the comment Rating kicks in also. and it has 14 Comments.
    Far more then all others.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Thank you Myrcello. So now we know what to do. Thanks :)

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think your math is off a little bit, its more like 73% in favor, 27% opposed... "Mixed" only has an impact on ppl who believe "the sky is falling, just because chicken little said so". Dude, do you seriously believe that ppl listen to "the few" who actually make stuff up when they review games based on their own negative thoughts? These are ex-UO players who feel "dis'd" that the gaming world hasn't given them what they want... They have UO, why don't they go and play? Why do they have to critics another game for NOT shoving a lolly pop in their mouths? What exactly are they afraid of? I think it's the great many ppl who enjoy WoW and now it's SotA they're targeting, they failed to steer ppl away from WoW, so now it's on to the next successful game they're targeting... Trying to destroy the reputation of a game through negative reviews, it's clearly an attack by a bunch of "Trammel haters"... Don't listen to the rubbish...

17. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

I finally wrote a review for Steam now... a positive one at that. I have been meaning to do it; this post motivated me to do it now.

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Do you see something I don't? Developers don't generally reply to reviews, I don't see any developer "pushing" reviews far up at all... Me on the other hand I always give a "thumbs down" to negative reviews, and a "Thumbs up" for posative reviews and I've noticed the %s changing, many of the negative reviews are now "not helpfull" at all...

19. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

When they first released to Steam, Starr was answering a lot of the Steam threads. He was diplomatic, civil and fair even when people were not civil or polite in their remarks. He not only put in crazy hours that week, but he demonstrated some amazing patience and class.

20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I am speaking of "reviews", as was the OPer... Many developers have responded to posts and helped when they can to straighten out any misc-conceptions... I've only seen Chris respond once with a comment to a review and it doesn't bump it anywhere, like an active post staying on the first page... and not dropping off the the back pages...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.