6-Month Demo!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Because expressing ones opinion is not a complaint. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion as well as disatisfaction.
    And most people don't know enough about programming or have their own idea what best is to make informed suggestions.

TheGrinch and Isaiah like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's true. Nobody has made another game even close to the UO classless sytem and sandbox all in one package. So using UO as a standard is a good place to build from.

I'm not saying they should build a UO clone, but the natural follow up to it. This really should be UO2. It is radical with it's dual scale maps, and all of the community built content. A small team with a standout game. It follows in line with the Ultima world, but also has a story element like the origional Ultimas. IT is a totally unique game taking the best from UO and every other game after it, and doing it's best to avoid the traps and craps of the other games out there. It would be radical to do this.

TheGrinch and EWHART like this.
  3. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

I agree with the biggest majority of your post, with exception to the quote above. I submit that a really good PvPer already does not always execute the same exact combos but instead varies his approach and strategy WITHOUT THE NEED OF THE SYSTEM RANDOMIZING HIS ACTIONS. Else said PvPer finds himself dead because the opponent watched him and predicted what was coming next.

Isaiah likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

like i said I was attempting to compromise with the new system. In case it is hear to stay let's make it the best system it can be. If it gets scrapped then we know what the traditional method is.

I'm not saying you should not keep arguing your point. I'm letting that go on I'm just throwing out options. I don't mind as long as magic and specific skills are liberated!

TheGrinch likes this.
  5. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Dang, it sucks that when you fire him Richard Garriott's going to be unemployed. Poor LB. :(

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Wasn't making a scatter-shot statement there. And I hope you saw my allusion to the fact that many people who don't appreciate the card system HAVE made constructive comments.

7. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Spin it any liberal way you want, the link is there directing you to the Official FAQ where you can read it yourself.

EWHART likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If our funds run out, and nobody's playing the game... he has two options: Option 1: fund it himself, Option 2: He's fired.

I don't think it's going to come to that, but the combat system is one of the most important elements of this game and it must be hammered out.

EWHART and TheGrinch like this.
  9. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

You're right. If only there was another way for developers to get money to make games. Dang.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The best thing for us to do is give our feed back. BUT we should offer a solution when we do. Also in case the system is hear to stay let's also think of ways to help make it work as well.

The card system isn't a completely bad idea. Let's not be so cut and dry about it. Perhapse there are things we haven't thought about yet, and the devs too. If we start thowing out ideas maybe we might come up with a way to please most people.

11. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

This.

Don't just string us along to take our money. If you are going to allow PvP, then allow the PvPers to guide the system build. I promise I will not butt my head in on any crafting or RP discussions.

Deus_Irae, licemeat and EWHART like this.
  12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There is a reason even with a random card game the best players always place in the top 10. It is more than just a roll of the die or a toss of the coin. There is a lot of strategy in a card game and this game will be no different. This will actually utilize even more strategy prior to combat and during combat. The good players will still beat you and the bad players will still lose. But you wont go into combat thinking I'm going to hit these series of buttons and if he does this i'll do that then I'll finish with this. Instead it will be, I'll plan on this, if it doesn't come up I'll have to do this, etc. you'll have to allow for more variation. Making the game more challenging and more thoughtful.

They have been clear since Kickstarter that this was their planned system that we would experiment with during Alpha.

TroubleMagnet and rild like this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Expressing opinions (like I was trying to say) can be more of the complaint type or more of the input type. You are wonderfully entitled to your own disatisfaction, but feelings alone don't really help move a conversation forward or give anyone a way to help you out. Saying you don't like the card system could be for 1,000 different reasons - not enough info. And you DO know enough to say why you don't like that gameplay style vs. just saying how you feel about it.

When someone says, "It sucks" - who knows what they mean? When someone says, "I don't like it because I don't want to use randomized skills." Then you have something to talk about. And hopefully, you can be even more detailed than that!

This is just part of what we all need to learn regarding expressing opinions that help people listen to you, understand and help you out.

Isaiah, Umbrae and Mishri like this.
  14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Personally, I think the majority of people speaking out against it don't want to learn a system that is completely different from what they are used to. They don't understand how they can effectively be competitive in pvp with it and they are worried they will lose. I can tell you without a doubt in my mind, if you build a solid skill list and have the right preperation you will still win as much as you would with any other system out there. Yes, you will have to learn something new. a deck building game is a different strategy than many people are used to. People will likely help you with that. But you will still see people dominating and some not so much with this system, it isn't just pure random chaos.

TroubleMagnet, rild, skinned and 3 others like this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

"Really......I don't want a 'deck', I would actually like a spellbook........A spellbook with lots of spells that I can cast whatever I want when the feeling takes me. I actually want to have 60+ macros on my keyboard (not like crappy wow or gw)....in fact I want one for every key combo I can find. Yay me the mighty macro king!

What I don't want is a random number generator dictating how I play and I certainly dont want crap floating in and out of my screen. I want a fast flowing slick combat system, I want to run around my screen with other players trying to kill me, I want my control my character like I am it's God.........I decide not bloody cards, runes, plates or whatever the hell people want to call them.

“Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
    Luke 23:34"

Luxuria, TheGrinch and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well I do want that system, and not what you are describing which is a very stale and generic system i've seen over and over again. This system has been described since long before kickstarter ended, you knew what you were getting into if you watched the videos during kickstarter and saw the updates.

17. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

Everyone has access to the same skills. A number of those skills will be assessed as "the best" for pvp. PvP decks in such a system will be very similar and limited in scope. Such template decks flashing on and off your hotbar is indeed random.

The argument isn't that the system will work, or that you can have varying degrees of success using it. The core of the issue is that it does not look as enjoyable or strategic to the people who hold PvP in high regard. On the same note, the twinkling hotbar is a major distraction from immersion and is disliked by a totally seperate subset of the community. A deck based system can certainly work, but it's the way it's being presented that a MAJORITY of us dislike. At the end of the day, this issue isn't going to effect a roleplayer or crafter one bit. You are going to play no matter what combat system is implemented. What we are saying is that the idea is innovative, but it is an instant turn-off for people looking for a game that offers as much diversity as SotA, but also want a gratifying PvP experience.

18. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I'm not sold on the whole card deck random thing yet, I'll have to try it before I declare I hate it.

What I do know I don't want is a combat system that results in the same 2-4 skill builds using the same 4-6 powers in the same 2 cast patterns being the "only" way to have a chance in PvP. Boooooooooooooooring. And already done to death *points at every other game out there*

Vyrinor likes this.
  19. G Din

G Din Avatar

So much complaining and we really don't know how the combat will work in a more finished state. All you saw was a small clip in a 6 mo demo , that wasn't even geared to the combat !

I'm sure they will put out an update directly related to their combat system. Why not just wait till then to pass judgement. I mean seriously, you saw a few slots on a skill bar changing and you want bring out your pitchforks?

We hardly know anything about the mechanics. I sent a DEV commending them on their bravery in trying something different ... and I stand by that. If in the end it doesn't work out, who cares? they can just change it back to the dum dum WOW format for you.

Seir and Vyrinor like this.
  20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

For all the random talk, there did not seem to be any problem casting Fireball in the demo. ;)

"Combat" aside. I thought the demo was great and I am still wondering why Dev+ people haven't been offered a pre-alpha build. *wink wink* I was talking at work about the demo video and it does not seem very alpha at all: at least in a tranditional sense. Looks good, has great draw distance, no collision issues.

Best comment? "Dang, if that was Call of Duty they would have released it already!" :)

Vyrinor and Mishri like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.