A new resource to provide incentive for PvP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mimner, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

1) Create a new crafting skill tree similar to enchanting. Call it imbuing?
    2) Make a new resource equivalent to gold and silver. Call it platinum? Use it for imbuing.
    3) Sprinkle Platinum nodes throughout all PvP scenes, and only PvP scenes, in the game.
    4) When a player is killed in PvP all their platinum drops to their corpse along with normal ransom.
    5) Players cannot pay to get their platinum back. The person who loots them gets it all.
    6) Disable teleportation into/out of PvP scenes.
    7) Sit back and watch PvP explode and SotA flourish.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes! I've been saying this ever since I've had interest in PvP, PvP zones need a PvP specific incentive, either a ressources, or even a currency, and not just for cosmetics, but to allow for PvP specific enchants or items.

+1

Mimner and Sara Dreygon like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Presumably "imbued" items are imbued with PvP stats? Or are you suggesting OP gear become even more OP?

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Can do this without new nodes or skills. Have PVP kills result in "resources" from looted players (like trophies, things like "Outlander Blood", "Avatar's Bones", etc). These resources are used in Alchemy to create potions that only effect PVP. All of your PVP resources and potions drop when you are killed, without the ability to pay to recover them. Potions should be extremely limited, to prevent these being "have to have" items to participate; PVP is already hard enough to get people into.

To protect these resources, make it so they only drop if both Avatars are in combat and taking damage. The closer the AL to each other, and the higher the average, the more resources drop. This makes it much harder to farm, which another node would make easy, and helps avoid players slaughtering their alts as a node because it will provide next to nothing.

Aeryk and Bedawyn like this.
  5. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

I suggest to name this resource: tears or salts

Joke aside;
    1. create a sota free account
    2. bring this green into pvp area
    3. ...
    4. profit

OzzyOsbourne and Xiones like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The advantage of nodes/pve loot for these is that you can obtain them without needing to fight and kill someone, so this allows lower levels/lesser skilled people to obtain these items in an easier manner, and brings in a "hunt" for PvPers, they cant start looking in the different zones to find people to kill. This will increase non-prepared pvp, and will stop Morganthys's mentionned exploit.

Jikininki and Dhanas like this.
  7. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

LOL

will not happen...

SmokerKGB likes this.
  8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No, all this means is that noone who wants to participate in PVP will bring their main to these scenes. They'll simply run in alts, farm, and run away from any PVP. Nodes do nothing to increase PVP; only rewarding actual PVP will have any impact.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Problem is it is always rewarding the winner, winner, winner, always. Look at how ESO did it, look at how Runescape did it, they offered solutions for both groups, in runescape, you have the option to go do VERY rewarding PvE in PvP zones, with limited escape mechanics, but also offer the PVP 1v1 option. ESO did castle sieges, but also added the option to kill and grind in the imperial city with a bunch of different currencies that only drop in the Imperial city, all in PvP. If you can still gain as a loser, in some way, shape or form, you will draw in more PvPers, because as it is now, if you lose, you lose, and if you only lose, you stop, at some point, only a few are left, and they grow tired of fighting each other, and it becomes stale... ohh wait, isnt that what is happening already? :p

Spungwa, Vaiden Luro, Aeryk and 2 others like this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think for a game like SotA, it's pretty hard to get non-structured PvP going without making PvP areas rewarding enough that it's not a waste of time when no one else shows up. It doesn't have to be anything so amazing that people will go to great lengths to swipe the rewards and run. Just needs to be at least comparable to decent PvE stuff.

Nothing wrong with PvP specific rewards, but I don't see why you can't also have decent standard PvE rewards if it's done right. Stuff like commodities and items that can easily be obtained from other players without PvP works best. What gets people super salty is when there's rare drops in PvP areas that don't flow through the economy for a long time and are super expensive when they do get there.

Aeryk and Violet Ronso like this.
  11. Kyri

Kyri Avatar

Unique harvest resource in PVP zones would make the game more enjoyable for people who PVP.
    People can who do not PVP can continue enjoying the game without going into PVP zones.

The Fall already has superior experience and loot compared to non-PVP zones.
    However, since it's the only zone with PVP incentive, it's easy for whoever has the most friends on to take over.

Mimner and Aeryk like this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Does it? What is the exp/hour for a solo player? How "good" is the loot? Because obviously CPs are gonna offer a better exp rate, but if we count those out, I wonder how much it compares to other zones. Also, it is 1 out of all the zones that is worth it, Tartarus Maze would be the other. The other zones need an incentive to be visited.

Aeryk likes this.
  13. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

The new resource would need to have value if it will actually provide incentive for players to risk venturing into PvP zones to get it. For something to have value there must be a demand for it. So yes, the "imbuing" needs to provide stats which benefit both PvE and PvP, thus establishing a demand by the entire player base. Those who don't wish to engage in PvP can still find other things of value in PvE, and trade it for the platinum they'll need.

@Morgathys Why would making a newbie character and farming in PvP zones be an exploit? And how would it be different than just stripping down to your tighty whities on your main? If people do this it seems like a win-win situation to me: the person on the newb alt assumes less risk of a high ransom (this isn't even much of a problem now b/c of loot bags), and the person hunting them has an easier time waxing them and taking their platinum.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Dhanas, Restless and Violet Ronso like this.
  14. Prada

Prada Avatar

"Famous last words for $400 please..."

@Tailz why not?

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I think Morganthys was replying was replying to Browncoat's reply to making it drop from pvp kills, which then can result in an exploit due to just bringing an alt and killing it over and over, otherwise, agreed, bringing an alt to farm nodes in pvp zones accomplishes nothing.

Morgathys and Mimner like this.
  16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Just being cheeky:

[In a dark alley between two towers in Midras Ruins]

Murderhobo 1: "I need more people to murder."
    Murderhobo 2: "How do we get more people to murder?"
    Murderhobo 3: "What if we told people they needed something to do something and that something could only be found in places like this?"
    Murderhobo 1: "That sounds great! Hmmm, but how do we make sure the people don't leave places like this before we have a chance to murder them?"
    Murderhobo 2: "Ooh, what if we place some magic that disables teleporting out?"
    Murderhobo 1: "Brilliant!"
    DEAD PLAYER ON GROUND: "Um, why don't you guys just murder each other?"
    Murderhobos roll on the floor, laughing their asses off.

[END SCENE]

In all seriousness, your suggestions are not the way to get more PvP action. First, you are suggesting a new system. The team is stretched thin and is having trouble keeping up with the systems they have recently created. Second, there are problems with PvP and combat in general, meaning that PvP will not explode because of this. Essentially, the underlying PvP system is not good enough. Throwing items in a zone will not make PvP better in and of itself. As flavor to a more robust PvP system, yes. But we don't have a robust PvP system.

I would imagine you need several things to make PvP robust here. How do you equalize players? Because a top-tier player with top-tier gear really can only "compete" fairly against someone near that level. So what do you do with the 99% of other players? This is why you have a 1% situation in PvP. But I know that 1% will not want to temporarily give up that power to equalize things. So right there, PvP fails.

Another suggestion would be to have objectives in a zone. Maybe power-ups for the weaker players to equalize. Maybe hold objectives or have something akin to castle sieges.

But what do any of our suggestions matter? PvP systems require a LOT of work. Here is an example: they are working on an ALT-F system to "match" PvP'ers. It's been in the works, and will likely take time to implement and patch over time. And six months from now the system will be in place and you'll have a few people matching immediately. Maybe that 1% will have fun, and good for them. Ultimately, however, until the underlying imbalance and lack of goals for PvP (other than murdering) are addressed, it's not going to get much better.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  17. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

So will this new item be trade-able to sell on your vendors? If so, with the millions of gold and thousands of COTOs I have I will just buy this Platinum/New Resource off the market. Instead of going into the PvP zone to harvest.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  18. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

It is not true.
    P.S. If some "platinum" would be destroyed during the killing, it would easily avoid 95% exploits that can be tied with this tech.

19. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

I could back this or least something similar. I don't quite understand the idea people are saying about people would just bring in low level alts to farm? If I were farming a resource in pvp zone, I want to be on me, slightly more powerful than an alt, to hopefully protect my goods. idk. maybe someone could explain why an alt, farming the same as a main could... would be exploiting?
    Disabling teleports would be a hard sell. The imbuing bonus would have to be all related to the chaos tree, unless skills were overhauled. Otherwise people would cry they were being forced to pvp for power. (Even though yes they could buy the resource)

20. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

That is a total misconception. You tell me who is the top rank player in this game and he can be killed. Why do all of you keep thinking that PvP has to be "fair"? What the heck is that??? You show up with a knife, then I'll be bring a gun. You bring a gun, I'll bring two guns. You have Parties. You have Guilds. Team up and go hunt. But all this "we need to make it fair" is why you lose at PvP. PvP is NOT Player vs Player... PVP is Player(s) vs Player(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.