1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

A preview of new Xenos work!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

Love love love the pillars with the fire on top. so bold and love the statement it makes!

majoria70, Dariog, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Really like how you imbue a sense of ancient history and lore into your design. Feel free to move my lot as you see fit. I wouldn't want to limit your creativity.

Very happy to be a resident of Xenos given that @Scottie is working on polishing it! :)

majoria70, Saesa, Robros Reh and 2 others like this.
  3. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Thanks so much! And I really appreciate the sentiment for the freedom of moving things around,...but my main goal will be to leave all lots exactly where they are (actually a directive as far as existing lots go), but build up around them in ways that really make their owners feel as if their homes are nestled in the heart of a far more ancient city... Wish me luck!

Lord Dreamo, NRaas, Bow Vale and 6 others like this.
  4. Scottie

Thanks! I'm hoping to find (or create) other such notable details that set this city apart from the look and feel of the rest...

Scottie ^_^

NRaas, Bow Vale, Acred and 5 others like this.
  5. Acred

Acred Avatar

The wisest of the pilgrims visiting Xenos will choose to stay there and enjoy all the beauty you and the inhabitants are creating in that scene, instead of taking a chance on a lottery and moving on to Artifice!

Thanks for the sneak peek, Scottie. :D

Scottie and Bow Vale like this.
  6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

As first resident of Xenos (some call me the Mayor) I am honored and really excited on what you are doing here Scottie.
    It looks fantastic and really looking forward to seeing it all complete with your touch of excellence.

Sincerely

-MH

Acred, Hazard, Scottie and 2 others like this.
  7. Ythak

Ythak Avatar

Great work @Scottie !! I like the idea of a Greco-Roman Architecture. I'm very enthusiastic that my keep is going to be in a nice place.

Scottie likes this.
  8. Scottie

Hello again!

As we continue our Xenos work-in-progress tour, allow me to introduce you to the Lagoon of Pleasures by taking a bit of a stroll around its perimeter! Blocked off from the rest of the bay and the docks for larger ships, the Lagoon of Pleasures has as its "gates" two large arched stone bridges that allow only smaller rowed craft through, such as gondolas or punts. As a result, the placid waters of the lagoon are perfect for lovers, poets, and merry-makers as they engage in idle pursuits. I imagined scenic shores lined with weathered marble terraces and colonnades, with stone benches and steps leading down into the crystalline lapping waters, and so my goal was to draw inspiration from some of the works of Alma Tadema.
    [​IMG]

To begin our tour we shall cross over one of those stone bridges, which hosts the road leading in from the south, and enjoy the "Island of Noble Heroes" of Xenos' ancient past... Gathered around a large fountain surmounted by a statue of Boreas, multiple columns rise to frame a variety of statues made from numerous materials from different ages, each depicting a philosopher, scholar, warrior, or noble from Xenos' illustrious ancient history. Flowering plants and tall sculpted junipers accent the rotunda, lit from above by the mighty braziers that are the signature lights of the city.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strolling to the other side of the island we now begin passing a few of the houses of nearby lucky residents, who from the tallest of their windows might hope to see a grand view of the sweeping colonnades leading southward toward the Equestrian Shrine jutting out from the water's edge. Even from within the houses, peering through a window's thick glass, the view may be seen to have improved a tad bit since the last time the owners took a passing glance. Xenos is known for its extravagant public works!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before we lose the light of day, it's time to wander toward the Equestrian Shrine, raised long ago in honor of the first horses brought to Xenos from far away shores. It is said that all of Xenos' wonders rest squarely on the strong backs of the horses of ancient times, whose tireless labors brought the many stones that were later carved and stacked to create the city's intricate majesty. Even today, the tamed horses of cart and carriage, and the wild horses that wander the Elysian Plains all trace their heritage to those ancient ancestors that crossed the seas so long ago on the ships of forgotten voyagers and traders from distant lands. Statues of gladiators stand tall on either side to guard the honor of these noble beasts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the sun sets we now make our way to the eastern edge of the lagoon, which has now begun to be lit by the warm glow of various lights here and there along its shore, signaling the preparations of partygoers as they lay out feasts in the tents of visitors hoping for a chance at winning the lottery for entrance into fabled Artifice... Here, as dusk consumes the marble-lined shores, and the waters of the lagoon grow dark, only the idle rich can afford tents filled with extravagant dishes and fine wines,...and of course fine wooden furnishings fit for a prince! But further away, beyond the battered stone caravanserai, the murmur and laughter of the poorer visitors to the city float from the veritable town of tents that has sprung up between here and the southern exit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perhaps one day, after they are lucky enough to find their fortunes in Artifice, they too might revel with the rich foreign visitors in tents made of fine silk and spun silver. Perhaps, as the new sun rises, Boreas will smile upon them all!
    [​IMG]

I hope you've enjoyed this peek into the continuing work of Xenos!

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    majoria70, Acred, Saosis and 28 others like this.
  9. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

WOOOOOW!!! Beautiful work Scottie! As a resident of Xenos, I can't wait to see your work completed.

majoria70 and Scottie like this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm loving all of the new statues, but that horse one is excellent! Really hoping to see this available sometime.

(Also, please remember craftable statues!)

majoria70, Mirellani Brave and K1000 like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's really nice stuff, man. I'm probably a little biased because I really enjoy that style of architecture in general. But this looks fantastic!

12. Scottie

Thanks so much Drocis! ^_^

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree. I'm getting a little jealous now of residents there.

majoria70, K1000 and Scottie like this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@Scottie freaking gorgeous, thanks. Ill try and deco my house to match this!

majoria70 and K1000 like this.
  15. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Thanks @Scottie ! Can't wait to see the revamped town you have created! Looks freaking awesome!

By the way, is that tent an existing one? Or will we be able to purchase / craft it in the future? (wants it bad)

Glantor Edge
    Happy Resident of Xenos

16. Scottie

That's a great question! I'm not actually sure what purpose that specific tent was made for, to be honest, since I just started sorting through them to determine which ones are "general purpose" enough for me to use... I'll let everyone know once I learn more!

Scottie ^_^

17. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

WOW. That just looks stunning. Looking forward to checking this out on the QA server once its finished.

18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I just can't praise the scene builders in this game enough. Truly stunning and I'm sure these will be a huge boon to your resumes in the future :) though I hope no one leaves anytime soon.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Looks fantastic! Great work.

And lots of cool future add-in store decoration props maybe....?

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Great work on Xenos, your work is a 100% improvement from what it was.

I like the statues as well, seeing as these look to be statues from unity assets bought for free, $5, and $8 though, I'd like to see them craftable if they're made available to us instead of being sold in the add-on store so overpriced. They were cheap to buy so they should be craftable if we were to get them. If they were created by Portalarium and time spent to make them it would be a different story.

Bow Vale and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.