A simple solution to the Open World Full Loot PvP conundrum. In 2 sentences.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Polemicist, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

SotA will only be a full loot PvP game if the Devs can program the game to recognise that by consenting to PvP it triggers a full loot on your char. Otherwise none PvPers will just block you from their choice when they Play.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

For me, at least, the distinction between facing an AI and facing a human is the whole point.

I don't mind if the AI is hard as nails. I don't mind if it's tuned to be so hard that I die every 5 minutes. I don't mind if it takes me a few dozen tries to beat the dragon. Heck, I tend to artificially limit myself when playing games just to make them more challenging.

But I do mind, very much, if I'm attacked by another player without giving explicit consent for that first.

My issue was never with difficulty, deaths, whatever. My issue is with being attacked by other players without signing for it in the first time (and with mixing PvP with PvE).

Which, BTW, is why the whole "don't want PvP, don't leave the guard zone" thing never works for me - the "guard zone" tends to be restricted to just the easiest, and thus most boring, parts of the game, and if opting out of PvP restrict me to just the easiest and most boring parts of the game I might as well not play it in the first place.

In short, I want the hardest game possible, but without non-consensual PvP.

Ned888 likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This isn't an issue, becasue they are building the game with this in mind. Keep in mind you will not be attacked by any player if you don't flag yourself for PvP period. You might not even see the PvPers.

There should be no block option once you are in PvP mode though, but if you're in non-PvP mode you dont' have to worry about blocking PvP players because they are no threat to you.

derek6665 and Atlaua like this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't like the whole PvP "mode" idea.........if people don't like the community of PvP and what the open online world brings maybe they should just stick to single player and leave online for the pros.

......waits for the fireworks :D

Cik likes this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

No thanks...I want to play online because of the everchanging world. I see no issue with allowing people not to be ganked if they don't want to.

Isaiah likes this.
  6. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

BOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!

I would agree with you except for just one teeny tiny point...

Online does not exclusively equate to PvP.

PvE is as much an online experience as PvP. Unless it's all instanced and you don't encounter any other players. Then I would agree wholeheartedly, Might as well be playing solo.

I hate PvP. I hate it because of all the drama associated with it that is all about players ego and very little about any meaningful event in the gameworld. However, I know that PvP is a big deal for some people. So let them have their PvP, just don't drag me into it. Now if I knowingly enter a zone that is contested between two factions, and PvP is the deciding factor, then it is on ME. But dammit if I want to just wander about the countryside picking flowers, then I should be able to do so without worring about being a target for some who gets his rocks off from wasting other people's time.

Make it so unless I flag my character as PvP, I will never encounter anyone else who has. And make it so if I do flag myself as PvP, I won't ever encounter anyone else who has not. That way, the PvP lovers out there can get it on with each other all they want. I suspect that without the ability to randomly gank players who want no part of PvP, the PvPer population will be far smaller than it pretends to be.

derek6665, Isaiah and Ned888 like this.
  7. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

LOL

I mean really... If the ability to fight each other was all PvPers wanted, then battlegrounds would be good enough for them. The reason why they want open world PvP is because with it, they get to attack people who DON'T want to fight other players. So give them what they want. Let them flag themselves for Open World PvP and never meet anyone who has not flagged themselves thusly. Then we'll really know the truth for sure.

Ned888 likes this.
  8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Please don't confure PvP with PK. PvP is a team sport. PK is anti-social behavior.

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

That's what I'm talkin' about! ;)

As a side note, I don't think I've very agreed with Owain so much in a thread! Good posts Owain! Cheers!

10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I would rather say that both PK and team based PvP are kinds of PvP, the same way a parrot and a fish are animals: related in a way, but very different.

Which is one huge issue with discussing PvP; players might enjoy different kinds of PvP to wildly varying degrees. Some prefer free for all open world PvP with player looting, some prefer faction-based conquest games, some prefer solo duels without consequences, some prefer team arena fights, some prefer isolated battlegrounds without persistence, and so on. All of those are PvP, but each feels very different.

11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Your experiences are exactly why they took the drastic measure of creating Fel/Tram. You might have enjoyed it, but the majority did not and they started leaving in droves. They 'fixed' it and players came back. See, your model of players controlling the game seems to drive most players away, not draw them in. I don't think I can agree with you even a little bit, sorry.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

PK:ing is mostly killing easy targets while open PvP is killing players as skilled as yourself, huge difference.

And yes some like huge battles more then small battles but if you have a game that allow them all then all will enjoy themself.

I like open PvP, large scale and small scale with full loot cause there have to be some risk vs reward. Without full loot i just wont play the game.

Gasket likes this.
  13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Not to be mean or take your comment out of context, but I think that statement might come back to bite you in the booty. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the player base will have the exact opposite view. Since this is, at it's core a money making venture, the development team is probably going to do what is going to sell the most copies of the game.

From what I can tell (I play a LOT of games), full loot is extremely unpopular. Most players in this day and age have never even been exposed to it and I doubt they will stand for it. Those that have been exposed to it generally don't seem to think it's that great, some certainly do, but I believe the majority don't.

Anything can happen though, right?

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You all have a totally off base view of PvP. Especially this particular post. Just be happy that if you don't flag for PvP you won't have to worry about any PvP issues. IN fact you guys who don't want to be involved in PvP ought to spend your time elsewhere instead of trolling this thread.

For me flagging for PvP is like playing the game the way it is meant to be played. The risk that you could be attacked while traveling outside of a town that has guards to protect the people. Attacked not only by mobs, but by other players.

I'm not a PK and I never preyed upon unwilling players in UO. I fought against other guilds we were at war with, and the Order vs Chaos system. However since you guys aren't going to use the PvP mode then why should your input matter when it comes to PvP. PvP is going to be consentual. The only business you guys have regarding PvP is to stay flagged for PvE or keep your mouths shut. If you're not going to PvP then why should your opinion on the matter make any difference in the developers' minds?

Let the people who will actually be PvPing share their ideas on PvP. There will be under no circumstance that a player that isn't flagged for PvP will ever have to worry about it, and the guys who are advocating that all people should be open to PvP relax IT AINT HAPPENING! Get over it, and stop trolling, all of you people. this is a serious topic.

15. Gasket

Gasket Avatar

This cracks me up it really does.

I'm not even saying I will PvP in SOTA however it should be open, free and unrestriced with the exception to the classic town safe zones.

It appears to me that dev's that brought you games like Wow etc. have catered to much for the next gen of gamers who like to play coated in bubble wrap - All in an attempt to attract more subscriptions from people who quite frankly cant handle a real MMO.

This whole idea around 'consent' - my god I wet myself a little in amusement.
    To RG and SL I no longer consent to dieing- please make it happen.
    Oh and while your at it I consent to an I Win Button aswell - any colour will do I'm not fussy, however I may change my mind later and consent to pink.

Gasket.

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

The reason i chimed in was because someone was suggesting to make the world open PvP...I will defend against that prospect with all my heart. I did not mean to offend anyone who was for PvP...just don't force it on people.

Silent Strider, Phredicon and Isaiah like this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

REMEMBER there is only one server (one shard). Everybody in the world that plays OPO mode will receive a selective multiplayer experience from one server. Lets say there are 300,000 people playing at the same time. Now lets say 10% of them are flagged for PvP. PvPers will not be running around for days looking to find other PvPers because there will be 30,000 PvPers available.

Well maybe SotA is having a bad day and lets say only 90,000 people are playing and 10% of them are PvPers. There would be 9,000 people for PvPers to be associated with... there will never be any lack of PvP play even if they are 10% of the game community. It may be higher than 10%.

However if you don't PvP and you play OPO there will be virtually unlimited people to run into online without ever seeing a PvPer.

EDIT: Imagine all the other online games that have multiple shards or servers to choose from. That breaks up the players into smaller groups. THIS GAME HAS ONLY ONE SERVER FOR ALL PLAYERS. Try to imagine that. Even if SotA has a small cult following there will be a massive number of people to play with. If SotA is extreemly successful then we could look at 10 20 or 30x that number above.

Mishri and derek6665 like this.
  18. Gasket

Gasket Avatar

I tend to agree.

Gasket.

19. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Wow, that got... um... UGLY really fast! I've issued warnings to several people for inappropriate behavior in this thread. Let's review some of the fundemental rules of this forum, shall we?

Act with Virtue:
    Treat others as you would want to be treated. We are all people united under the same banner, with similar hopes and many different opinions. Show respect for one another, disagree with grace, and offer opinions with humility. And sheath those swords… there are absolutely no personal attacks allowed.

Speak with Virtue:
    We are a community with many voices, but remember to watch thy tongue when it comes to profanity, racism, religion, or derogatory attacks on other people and/or their ideas. Speak responsibly and post responsibly or ye will find thyself banned.

Be not a Troll:
    Do not purposefully patronize others or make posts designed to instigate an argument. Our goal is to create a great community for a great game, not to pummel each other with virtual sticks and stones.

Since this thread has gotten so, um... messed up, it has been locked to further replys. And by the way... this is your not so subtle warning to everyone to behave... with virtue! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.