Ability to Help other players, Give Exp in a party?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Weins201, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I would like to be able to adjust the Exp I receive while in a Party. ;) ATM it is evenly split, can we get some kind of setting that would allow me to change the % I receive? That way if I gather a New player under my wing and go out fighting, they can get all the exp instead of sharing it with me. I will still be there helping out but they can train faster :cool: ????

2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

While it's nice of you to that for someone, i'd rather help them by teaching them how to survive on their own.

3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Perfect way to open power levelers the door. It took me 3h to get from lvl 6 to 50 in vertass pass in a party of 3-4. That is already fast and shouldn't be that way. XP should shared regarding level. Low level get less.

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yeah it takes me like half an hour to power level a brand new player to 50, can't help but feel that they should at least have to be involved in the combat to receive exp.

Heradite, FrostII, Logain and 5 others like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

On the NWN server I was on what we did was limit XP based on the party average level. If you were within 5 levels of the average you received XP without penalty. Between 6-10 levels your XP was diminished and beyond 10 levels you got no XP at all.

So if a level 60 let's say.. took a party out with 3 level 5s.. the party average would be level 25.. no one would get any XP..

But if you had a level 50 and say.. 2 level 20s.. the party average would be 30.. the two level 20s would get a little XP.. the level 50 would get none.

It's not a perfect deterrent against power leveling but it makes it a lot harder to do..

Heradite, Moiseyev Trueden and Tahru like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok well lets put it in more of a Scenario since some of you are "ruthless" :cool:

Last night went to Brightbone to test some more stuff out and see if they fixed looting yet. Upon arrival there was a lower level player there, partied him up, since I have no use for my exp, I was eating up 1/2 the exp which he could have used much more than me.

Now true this could be used by some to "Power Level" not the intent but yeah I see it. And I will always try and teach before I just hand out :)

FrostII, Moiseyev Trueden and Tahru like this.
  7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

It is a noble gesture that you put forward. Unfortunately, as have said, the unscrupulous will exploit he mechanic. Sigh. I can't see it happening.

Logain and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That is a brilliant system. Makes it much easier to get people closer to the same level without allowing overt power levelling. You can aid a massive party, but it would still hurt them more with you there until levels are close.

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It was moderately affective.. though you could still power level with a clever arrangement of levels.. but it did mitigate the issue somewhat and was effective in encouraging people to group closer to their own level .

The downside of course is the level difference does punish those who just want to group with their buddies who aren't near the same level but that was never really a big deal. The odd one out would have to leave and level up on their own.. but with the player population of a game like SotA it would be even less of an issue I think.

Net likes this.
  10. Benn289

Benn289 Avatar

I definitely think the idea has good intentions but, as a couple other have said, this would definitely make power-leveling a thing.
    In my opinion shouldn't be and wouldn't be healthy for the game in the long haul.

Not only that, but I would feel like my hard work wouldn't amount to personal satisfaction when someone in one fell swoop could get power-leveled right past me in no time at all, let alone no effort involved.

I really like the idea of combat participation in order to get xp. Power-leveling in a game, to me, is a huge turn off. So hopefully they iterate how this works eventually.

Would if there was a system like guild wars 2 where you could level down to a friends level?

Not sure if it'd be a good idea, but friends would be able to play together easily without the higher level killing everything in one shot.

Themo Lock likes this.
  11. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

While it would be nice to have that freedom, I fell like this could be exploited. As it is now with even distribution, I joined a party as a level 10 and became level 25 with in a couple of hours helping to fight red spiders.

I mean look at bilbo baggins in the Hobbit. having never lifted a sword, he was fighting orcs in the first quarter of the story, so there is something to being thrown into the deep end to learn to swim, but in a numbers sense, this could upset the balance needed in concern to the storyline and having access to areas of the map before your time and such.

IMO Even distribution of experience doesnt make too much sense either, it should be based on damage dealt, median party member level, and proximity to the action.

Net and Weins201 like this.
  12. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Don't forget us healers! Damage dealt or health healed. Just don't forget us healers!

13. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

+1 yes I am sorry i forgot you! bonus exp for resurrection

Lord-Galiwyn, Net and majoria70 like this.
  14. Net

Net Avatar

It is not just healers. Support can cast roots and othe spells to slow enemies and prevent them from running away or getting close to others...And some people may just carry the loot or extra supplies...

I think that the equal distribution of xp betwen party members is rather neat solution. If you do not want someone to leech on your xp, do not invite them in party. However it presents new player from getting all xp, they will get more xp on their own than if they only leech.

Sure, you can level up new players quickly with your high level charecter, but does it really matter? It is not fun to duel with low level characters, they die in one hit, if they get lucky in two... they cannot gather much, they will not be able to craft either when crafting skills will go into the game. So only thing left to them are entry quests and grind, it may work well the first time, but if you make new character, you will likely want to skip the boring parts and get to the 'real stuff' more quickly. And I doubt that people will power level higher levels (50+)... at that point players are viable healers if nothing else, though they should be able to level up on their own rather well.

Themo Lock likes this.
  15. Bronwin

Bronwin Avatar

WE should just give everyone an equal amount of points and cut out about 90% of wolves from the forest. Not sure what purpose grinding serves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.