Allow POT's to set the MOTD on the chat window

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Problem Case #1: Players enter POT's, they might like a place, but don't know how to contact the governor and there is no information about others with rights to manage. There isn't even a mail system in this game so it is near impossible to talk to a person you don't know who is not there. Lot's remain vacant.

Problem Case #2: POT owner/manager needs to say something important to the residents, like the homes having to be pulled up for a change. Alas, there is no means to do this.

Solution (partial): Upon entering the POT, the chat window contains "pink" text for the message from the POT owner/manager. This is identical to the red game messages, but in another color, so it stands out and is not confused with official game messages.

Cheilon, Womby, Lace and 4 others like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Yes please!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

please don't. the motd comes up too often as it is. i expect it not more than once a day unless there's an emergency. you want to inform residents of something, write a note and leave it at the zone-in point.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There is no need for it to be a message of the day.

1. If you want to talk about a place in a POT the name of the owner is on the compass. Friend them, whisper to them . . . .

2. If a POT owner needs to get a message out to his home owners and does not have them as a friend or guild member then, sorry but, he is not much of a manager.

I know if I let places in my POT be used I would know the person, have a way to contact them and talk to them or I would not let them place a house?

Sorry just do not see the need - b u t - if it is really simple and easy and player can shut it off so they are not bombarded every time they come and go sure.

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is not a good idea at all. There are times when we should not have to work around deficient systems. When it involves new players like this does, it should be a first class feature. What we have now is not acceptable. I am confident that the team will do something about it eventually. The MOTD is harmless and a developer could code it in an hour, up to a couple days tops depending on what interfaces would be created.

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Good luck with that. Putting a piece of blank paper on the ground in hopes that people will see it and want to read it is not a solution either. Worse yet, if you change the message, anyone that read it before would not even notice. I see books all the time, and I am almost always too busy playing the game to read them. We don't have to hack a solution.

7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I like it. +1 to MOTD.

Womby likes this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Rather than an MOTD, I prefer to see a Town Notice type of bulletin board at the entrance point. I know quite a few people that do NOT use these forums or any forums for that matter, heck some of them take days to check their email

+1 to the idea of another form of in game communication.

Aimend, x_Selene_x, Womby and 3 others like this.
  9. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like the idea, and as a thought for using the in game cache chest which can be set on the POT itself and the regular chest or trunk cannot at this moment. In the meantime we can take our cache chest and leave it in front of someones property to leave a note, but I do understand needing to be able to contact town members to advise of things. I am always leaving notes all over the town and I don't think people know to read them. I have said did you see my note and they say no I did not read it lol. Imagine not reading my zillions of words ;)

Tahru likes this.
  11. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

We use mailboxes in Findupre ;)

Tahru likes this.
  12. Lace

Lace Avatar

What I do now is stick a ground sign on the run up from the docks to my pot to direct folks to the bookshelf we have organized for POT infor or just general info. It is a nice touch but needs dev love for real functionality where you do not have to be kindred etc.

I have posted about public bulletin boards a few times that could be placed in POT and how in UNITY specifically it could be done. Instead of quality of life things like this we get ... TO HELL WITH ALL DECO THIEVES as a mechanic

Just saying heh .. FLAME ME .

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.