An Invitation to the Reddit community for Shroud of the Avatar!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ben_Hroth, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

All the best op!
    Maybe I will take a look. But reddit just isn't my cup of tea because of the format. On the other hand it would be a good thing to get my ass up and try something new for a change i guess.

hroth and Preachyr like this.
  2. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Reddit is the no.1 place for unfiltered SotA critique.

I like the approach of the new mod team to also focus on content generation.

Ultimately the success of the reddit is tied to the success of SotA. You can ban dissent here, but not on the whole internet.

If Portalarium manages to turn the ship around you will see the positive outweigh the negative on all social media platforms naturally.

The special thing about SotA is that even the people who are called haters here and were banned because of negativity or speaking unpleasant truth most of them still want the game to succeed.

There is only so much loss of community heavyweights like @Sir Cabirus you can afford. His Ultima site probably attracted more players towards the game than all of the recent competition utube videos together... and so did contributions of other people long gone or dismissed from this place.

I surely dont want to belittle other peoples effort. But having 30 views on a tutorial video that even gets promoted by the devs makes me worry about the communities health... :/

Release will be an interesting time and I am sure the devs will go into crunch mode to deliver the best they can. For us all I hope it is enough.

3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Great news, great post, great guy.

I wish you all a good fortune with this Endevor.
    :D

Although - brace for impact - might be in order for a new subreddit moderator.
    ;)

hroth likes this.
  5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I will eventually step out publicly with my support of SotA. Last year @Lord British asked us to give our reviews on Steam. My heavens. I got slammed so bad, my 32-year-old gamer designer son stepped in to defend me (and got slammed too). Hopefully this new situation will be better and things will stay constructive. Best of luck on your endeavor!

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

As the creator of a review on STEAM you can both delete comments made to it and block specific users from commenting again on your reviews.
    It is usually a much more sane thing to do than to engage with people looking for flamewars.

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre and hroth like this.
  7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Never mind about that selfie screenshot reddit post. Only had trolls posting. I deleted it. :/

hroth likes this.
  8. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

In the dark cave, the earthquake widened the chasm, and Ben held on now just by the eight fingers of his two hands. He peered down below at the rising lava, then back up to Rufus in his gleaming white iron chainmail. Ben's voice breaking, he shouted "@Rufus D`Asperdi ! Please reconsider! There are so many curious travellers who need your help at that gate!"

Rufus stood in a guard position at the edge of the cliff that Ben clinged to. "
    Sorry Ben, I can't do it. Ask @Spoon and @Umuri, but not me."

A stalactite shook loose in an aftershock, crashing right by Ben and as it passed Ben involuntarily put up one hand, losing half his grip. "We welcome all who care about our world, Rufus! For better or for worse, it's for everyone! Please..." Ben extended his free hand up towards Rufus.

Rufus crouched down until his face was close to Ben's wild eyes.
    "Ben. Don't 4chan me, mate."

Ben's last grip slipped and he silently tumbled down towards the lava, his flesh vaporizing from the intense heat before his Virtue Flame armor could even touch the molten mass.

</drama>

Heh. Sorry, couldn't resist. I saw this come up a couple times in past Reddit threads and had to respond, mainly because I felt precisely like Rufus did four years ago.

Part of the reason I feel our subreddit is less well represented is that because many folks here are just like me: old. I grew up with the Apple //e, not Instagram.

Personally I don't "get" social media (and actually truth be told I don't Facebook or Twitter, nevermind the newfangled Instagram and Snapchat and Pinterest), I don't think the 'faux' openness is particularly healthy, and suspect society is going to hell in a handbasket. (Just like me dad, and his dad, and his dad....)

But Reddit is *not* 4chan, and it's not social media. The key to Reddit is recognizing that it is a powerful tool that cuts through the graphics, cuts through the style sheets, cuts through the dynamic web stuff, cuts through the memes, cuts through the banner ads (mostly), cuts through logging into various forums and emails, and just attempts to bubble good discussion to the surface of the incredible morass of the Internet.

Having said that, Reddit is made up of tons of users who enjoy social media, shocking videos, crazy cat pictures, and so the front page of Reddit without an account shows you what they bubble up to the top, which are in major mega subreddits like /r/pics and /r/funny.

But it's incredibly personalized, I don't personally enjoy that stuff and so I don't ever see it. Ever. Once you create the account and select subs you won't be exposed to anything you don't want to.

The upvote/downvote mechanism with a larger community is an incredibly efficient way to view Internet content on topics that you care about, and with multiple topics - even more powerfully, across those topics.

Before Reddit I would have to Tapatalk to forums and browse on my phone to try and figure out what people are saying, using the "What's New" or "Dev Tracker" on this particular forum so I could even figure out what people were talking about - and that burnt up time. That all goes away with Reddit. I have two apps on my phone - Reddit and Discord. Between the two of them, I can take the pulse of Star Citizen in seconds without ever logging into their web site, which takes way more than minutes. I'm an older dad with young kids and hold down two jobs - I just don't have time to log into everything when I can get it in one place.

I'm sure Reddit isn't for everyone, but it's definitely not all about shock videos.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Spoon, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Umuri like this.
  9. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

10. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Ben dons the Virtue Flame Armor...

Spoon and DJ Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  11. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Aye, the subreddit needs some more actual players who can post selfies for a thread like that work! I think most of our current subscribers don't play the game.

That's the reason for this thread, to get more folks from here... to Reddit!

12. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Someone mention me? No. Good. :p
    I will definitely make a point of trying to visit and help out when ic an, but my primary focus is my projects, both of which are heading towards another release soon.
    My secondary focus, is of course, being a rules lawyer and ensuring fairness in everything. :p

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre and hroth like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That guy and his 5 cronies are still in Steam, and most have been banned from the normal subreddit and just hate from RAW, so it's a much safer world now.

Put them on Ignore and your review won't get filled with hate comments. I prefer to first report him first, he spends far too much time attacking anyone that likes the game and often gets away with it because there aren't enough of us in those places to stand up for each other, so his victim eventually leaves in frustration.

Ben, I hope you can turn the subreddit around. It has long been a domain of only a few actual players, and mostly guys who hate the game, as reflected in my negative scores every time I post something good about the game there.

From what I'm seeing today, it's already looking better. I encourage everyone that's interested in reddit to have a look again, reddit really is a nice forum for discussion, and new players swing through there with questions quite regularly.

Montaigne, Rhiannon, Numa and 3 others like this.
  14. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the mod team cannot turn things around on our own. Even if we successfully blot out the personal attacks, it will mainly be crickets chirping when it comes to playing the game if actual players aren't on the sub-reddit.

EDIT: Emphasis added,above.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  15. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Reddit is largely about learning to respect each other. On the reddit it happens quite often that opposing views suddenly find common ground. Something that rarely happens here, as most controversial stuff is locked and a lot of ppl here do not even reply to private msgs because they just want to steer a public narrative without trying to understand the other persons viewpoint. That behavior happens on reddit as well, but it does get called out by both sides frequently.

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Psa: ppl that got you on ignore don't receive private messages from you anymore.

hroth likes this.
  17. Alleine Dragonfyre

There are more of us than them. It's time to let the world know that.

Daedwax, Montaigne, Rhiannon and 3 others like this.
  18. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Reddit/forums and countless social platforms are nothing more then echo chambers for those that want to be keyboard warriors and have a voice where in rl they would be mute!

Sad that companies/devs or alike put weight on comments compared to stats! It is easy to taint a mind, look at this team, tainted daily by the minority and deaf to the majority!

3devious and hroth like this.
  19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Maybe so, but these communities are a very large driving force for the popularity (and demise) of games.

Marketing is great. However in this up-voted, peer-reviewed, Amazon 5 star, eBay feedback, Facebook 'liked' world, word of mouth is the name of the success game.

A lot of inaccurate and downright wrong stuff is posted to these communities and then left unanswered or debunked like a gaping wound that isn't bandaged. Enter new players that are unfamiliar with SotA and that's all they see. End of story...potential end of new player.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  20. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Sometimes an interested person new to the game simply wants to check out 'the buzz' on it without investing time and/or money in the game. If I want to play a new game like Factorio it's easier and better to go to Reddit rather than to try and figure out where an official forum is, sign up, generate yet-another-password-to-be-cracked, and navigate a new forum software.

Daedwax, Alleine Dragonfyre and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.