Another new player, some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElricVandor, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

First of all, hello to everyone!
    Long-time MMO player here, starting with UO (Great Lakes) back 1998. I finally backed and started playing SotA about 2 weeks ago, and am enjoying it a lot so far. I unfortunately didn't have much chance to communicate with people in game a lot, but am looking forward to meeting and adventuring with people in game.

Now, I have some questions, and I hope it is ok to ask them here...

1) For my pledge, I did get the puzzle box and the crafting material box, and it worked like a charm, they are in my bank. However, I do not own a house or have the amount of gold to get one. Is there any other way to use/open those items so I can use my crafting materials, or do I need to get a house for me to place those items and actually use them?

2) I am adventuring in the vale, and am at, I think, level 22 or 23. I have recently been killing a lot of spiders and wolves in the deep woods, but at this point, I'd need to kill quite a few of them to progress in level even further. Should I move on to another place, maybe outside the vale, to continue, and if so-where? Or should I keep grinding on those spiders and wolves? I don't really mind grinding, but was wondering what others would recommend, as I'd like to gain more skill points to try different abilities and builds.

3) Also included in my pledge rewards were the soundtrack and artbook download. Are these not available yet, or, if they are, where can I download them?

I am sure the answers to my questions are rather obvious, and I apologize if they have been answered before =(
    Thanks so much, and I hope I get to meet you all in game!

2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome danstew23!

Tahru and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  3. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Thanks a lot, glad to be here! =)

Tahru, Mata and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  4. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

It's pretty easy to get a house, if you're not picky about the location. There seem to always be row lots available in Ardoris, since lots belonging to players who are not active for 7 days become available again. A quick way to earn cash and level up is to find some elves in Greymark Forest who drop a particular sword that is valuable. The Gem Mines nodes sometimes drop gems worth 200g. A row lot costs 40k gold, and in Ardoris you don't even need to buy a house - one comes with the lot. If you buy a village lot (costs 60k) you can still claim a row lot with it. Once you have your house, you can still keep your eyes open for a lot in a preferred location. If you find something you like better, just unclaim your first lot from the deeds menu (U) and claim the new lot.

Tahru, Mata and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  5. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Welcome to the Community!

1) For my pledge, I did get the puzzle box and the crafting material box, and it worked like a charm, they are in my bank. However, I do not own a house or have the amount of gold to get one. Is there any other way to use/open those items so I can use my crafting materials, or do I need to get a house for me to place those items and actually use them?

You will need to purchase a house deed and a lot deed of equal size to be able to obtain placement for your decorations. There is a small loop-hole currently whereas you could purchase a row lot deed, without the house deed, and find an existing row lot that is vacant. Once the lot deed is used on the property the current row home will be able to be used without having to buy a row house. But yes, buy a house and lot to be able to place your items. Crafting, however you can do anywhere there is a crafting table as long as you know the recipes and have the correct materials on-hand.

2) I am adventuring in the vale, and am at, I think, level 22 or 23. I have recently been killing a lot of spiders and wolves in the deep woods, but at this point, I'd need to kill quite a few of them to progress in level even further. Should I move on to another place, maybe outside the vale, to continue, and if so-where? Or should I keep grinding on those spiders and wolves? I don't really mind grinding, but was wondering what others would recommend, as I'd like to gain more skill points to try different abilities and builds.

Deep Ravenswood: East of North Ravenswood and SouthWest of Kingsport. has Elder Wolves and Obsidian Wolves as well as high level spiders and large skeletons to gain decent xp from. Elder: 1k xp, Obsidian: 1.8k xp.

3) Also included in my pledge rewards were the soundtrack and artbook download. Are these not available yet, or, if they are, where can I download them?
    Soundtrack and Artbook are not done yet, and should be included in your (physically mailed to address/unless digital) pledge reward packages at or near time of official launch, or even sometime after depending on Portalarium's discretion. You can, however, download the 1st of 3 books: Blade of the Avatar in your account section of the SotA homepage.

Tahru and Mata like this.
  6. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Davenrock, thanks so much, that helps a lot!
    Much appreciated!

7. Wody

Wody Avatar

1. puzzle box and crafting materials
    Although the objects are in game, the scripting isn't in, they are not active yet, and so won't do anything yet, except look pretty.

8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community!

I don't think these items do anything yet. For a lot of pledge rewards they just have placeholders currently as they are still developing the game. Even if you don't have a house of your own, you might be able to place these items in a guild house and interact with them there if you have permissions in a guild house.

9. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Wody and enderandrew - thank you so much!

Wody - if that is true, then I guess I will just wait. It seemed odd that you couldn't open the box while it was in the bag. It is marked as a decoration though, so I figured I'd need a house. I wish they had pointed this out at the pledge-shop, as, considering the prizes, I am far away from owning even a small house, based on my finances. Who knows, might get easier once I level further. =)

enderandrew - thanks! I will try this once I find a guild and join. Looking forward to interacting with other players more! I did notice the placeholders for the other items in my bank, like the title and lute etc, so I now look forward for them to be actually implemented!

Thanks so much to everyone for the nice welcome. I did follow the advice above and did grind a bit more in Deep Ravenwood. Lvl 31 now, will continue soon.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome danstew23 to Shrouds. I agree about the row houses being your cheapest alternative since the house is included with them. I had one last release and really enjoyed my time there. The Dev team has stated
    that pledge items do not have their functionality yet and that is understandable because of not knowing exactly how some things will intereact with the world in its' present state of development. Yes you will need a
    house to place or at least a lot. Let me know if you need any help. I can give you some cash or help in game if you'd like. Let me know and I would log in. Have you gotten your hat yet? **cheers**

11. Sir Gareki

Sir Gareki Avatar

Welcome to the community. Enjoy ;)

12. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Majoria and kcfansbiv, thank you!
    I often heard about the community being great, and I am amazed by how friendly are around here. After being kinda frustrated by the rude behaviour in most of the MMOs I played, this feels... great! =)
    Majoria, thank you so much for your offer to help, I very much appreciate, yet I wouldn't want you to spend your available time and gold on me! However, my char name is Elric Vandor, so if you happen to see me somewhere in Owls Head (I usually go there in between adventuring), I might have some questions! And if anyone else sees me there... please don't hesitate to say hello if there is anything I can help with (as much as I can help as a lvl 33 new player =))

Thanks, everyone!

Tahru, Mata, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  13. monxter

monxter Avatar

Well met!

See you in game. I think you've come to the right place if you're looking for a great community :)

14. Phaedris

Phaedris Avatar

I'd suggest the Wyrmsands desert, on the coast, west of Braemar. I think the scorpions and skels give good experience for that level. Good hunting.

15. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

OP, tried sending a whisper in-game to offer a lot deed and house to play with until next release if you want. Unfortunately got no answer (chat system is not easy to watch for incoming messages and they tend to scroll off quick).

If you send a message to 'Henry Gubbins' in-game then I can let you have deeds to play around with (they get wiped next release and go back to owner anyway).

Edit: will have to get back to me soon though, there are only a few row lots still open (just been checking).

16. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Phaedris, thanks, I will try this next!!

Fattymoomooman, thank you for trying to get in touch! I indeed didnt see the messages, I think I have to reconfigure my chat somehow if possible so whispers stand out more, so I don't miss them.
    I added you to my friend list and will try to get in touch once you are online. Thanks so much for wanting to help!

PS: FInally edited my profile a bit, so I changed my username
    PPS: Just edited my chat window so hopefully, I wont miss whispers in the future

17. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Welcome aboard ElricVandor! Its nice to see another Great lakes player representing. If your still in need of a place to rest your weary feet, I have a 4 story blue roofed row house in Owls head I would be willing to friend you into. You could store your goods and decorate any way you wish. I just can't give it away because I use it mainly to fast travel from my chateau in Greystone

PM me your in game name and ill get you hooked up.

18. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Varrus, thank you so much for your kind offer! Fattymoomooman met up with me in game and provided me with a house in Ardoris so I could a) learn about the mechanics and b) try the items.
    So a HUGE thanks to FMMM!!
    Now that I confirmed that those pledge items indeed are merely decorative and not meant to be opened at the moment, I will continue experimenting with the house and adventuring around in the vale.
    Varrus, may I add you to my friend list anyway? Would be great to be able to chat, and if there ever is anything I can do, just let me know! And thanks again for your offer! GL ftw! =)

Tahru, Mata and majoria70 like this.
  19. stile

stile Avatar

We bid ye welcome!

20. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

You're welcome. I will not have the spare rent-free row deed next release unfortunately - I upgraded from ancestor to edelmann while this release was active and it did not remove the old row deed when I upgraded, they are tying claiming into accounts rather than banks eventually though so this is probably a transient error rather than something exploitable (though costing $275 just to upgrade from ancestor to citizen to try it out makes it a bad proposition to try as an exploit anyway lol).

I will have a 2 story row basement and 4 story stone house free as part of my pledges next release though if you want to take those off my hands to play around with, just message me when the next release starts, you will still need to farm enough gold for the lot next time however. I will also have the 3 story house and 1 story basement spare if anyone else wants those to try out. I suggest anyone with pledges that contain spare deeds from lower tiers make those available to anyone who asks next round - perhaps this could be incorporated into Spoons thread on available lots (I am sure many players do this anyway as this is a great community to be part of and I have yet to see any greedy, unhelpful or griefing players out there yet).

Enjoy the house and have fun in-game. I will probably only log on a few times before next release now as I have seen and done what I want to for this round :)
    (Can't wait until we have permanency in the game and I can really get into building my in-game empire)

Lord Baldrith, Tahru and Mata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.