Any "real" PVP zone after the final wipe?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xail, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No reason why it should become one :p

Black Tortoise, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There's no looting in PVE. No skill drop. No difference in time to respawn from PVP.

Where's the risk? It doesn't exist in PVE. Now if monsters started to loot you or you had to run through the underworld in a certain period of time before you dropped a level, those would be examples of risk. But currently it's just a fact that there is ZERO risk of being killed in PVE.

3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Guys the game has nearly no following already, and it won't get much more if they keep not fixing their risk vs reward mechanics.

4. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

We'll see real PvP when there are rewards enticing enough to encourage people to enter PvP zones and actual consequences to defeat.

Rodriguez, Time Lord and Vallo like this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Ohhh it's this again. The current state vs what is possible. Gotcha.

It's not impossible to break that MMO mold. The devs expressed their wishes to make PvE more challenging. They have time.

But I won't be attempting to convince people PvP > PvE or PvE < PvP. If that's the direction this is going I'mma bow out. The OP's topic is zones that will have a high probability of PvP. That will happen as long as people are interested in PvP.

Open PvP isn't holding people's interest. Zone based PvP isn't either. That makes one question PvP itself. Is PvP fun. The tone of the forums says no. So the solution the OP is looking for is 1: make combat fun 2: inspire those interested in PvP to visit areas to help increase the probability PvP encounters.

The fix for Open PvP is a compound issue but making combat fun goes a long way with that fix.

6. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

That's why I'm playing Albion Online and Shroud of the Avatar. I need to get my PvP somewhere. Although once AO fleshes out the PvE and new world in the next patch, there may be no reason to come to SotA at all.

Sweetmcpwnsauce, Abydos and Time Lord like this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Bad open PVP is the main reason Sotas reviews are very bad. You can care about that or not, but its the fact. Current community is a joke. Some UO freeshards have more following.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If people can't comprehend the difference between a game in development and a released game there is nothing anyone can do about it.

It will have to be a case of "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" AKA "the proof is in the pudding". Once the game gets all the features/mechanics in place people will be able to see how things really work.

9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The people dont care Ristra... they go somewhere else. Customer is king.

Persistance is release for most people because it has been in the past. Just if you PR talk it into sth else wont change reality. Every MMO is never complete nowadays. No excuses allowed here if its not fun. No risk no fun... Risk vs. Reward...

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No one cared about Seinfeld, The Simpsons, South Park, and many many more TV shows till several season in. They ended with some of the largest fan base ever.

UO's population wasn't all that impressive at the start either. Neither was WoW.

Testing isn't for everyone. Waiting sucks, specially when there are options out there. Even more so when friends are playing something else.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Feudal~
    When we first began discussing PvP way back when... I was hoping to see a more feudal based system, which would give advantage within taxes and title to those that engaged in PvP. I would still be interested in having such a system.
    Within the current parameters, I'd like to see a way to support and glorify our PvP players, by adjusting their taxes and title, by how many they kill, which would have effects on skill levels to the player who lost. In this way (just as our SOTA says that everything is in game craft able) this could afford the chance for players to become tax exempt if they were in the top ranks of the successful within PvP.

Being feudal (to me) means to fight your way out of being in the peasant class, who owes something of service through taxation to the kingdom, while the PvP provides service because they are successful combatants.

Viola' Motive Found!
    [​IMG]

But not hopeful, or probable in our SOTA...
    >>>---> But Very Possible...

~Time Lord~o_O

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Exactly they had good rating and attracted more people. Right now most you read about Sota from other players is to avoid that game and that its not what was advertised. If they implement Risk vs Reward and good mechanics I hope things can change. But neither of the things you mentioned had as devastating reviews as this game currently.

Abydos, Xail and Time Lord like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with everything you just said in the quote above. But what you're missing is that PVE and PVP are different things that deserve their own separate areas because the risk and the reward is never going to be scaled properly. If people want to visit my POT or the shardfalls or pvp ruins, they should have to take the risk of involving themselves in pvp. Otherwise, the scenes will just be non-pvp areas that have the best PVE rewards.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

IMO allowing SPO/FPO into shardfalls is the cheesy way out of creating zones that are PvE that have rare resources/MOBs. But if they scaled the abundance something like 1 node in a pack of high spawn rate high end MOBs in SPO/FPO to 100 nodes with little to no MOBs. The demand to enter MPO would be much higher. Yet still possible to get those rares without PvP (as stated would be possible)

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:~SOTA Meteor Strikes~
    Our meteor strikes have yet to be seen, which should provide a rich area, to come and get it, but at your own risks, "as ~LB~ has said many times about them"...

[​IMG]
    This should provide for some appeal whenever they begin...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You are correct in your thinking there is no PvP area according to your definition. And it, is a sound one. You should not be able to enter a Pvp zone in single player or friends only. That seems to be a sticking point among the dev team. It is easy and something that should not be allowed. Any Shardfall / POT / or any other place that is PvP (basements....) should only be able to be accessed in Multi Player.

Now you have this misconception that is there needs to be more resource or some other reward that is deserved in these areas because it is a PvP place, this is where you go astray. And if / when the development team starts to make PvP areas like the Spawns in UO then you are going to end up with not only PvP areas that are dead zones but the game in general.

Why - again this goes back to the simple mentality of most of the PvP players and the majority of the community (which some of you calls dead because they are not of your mindset) has absolutely no desire to have any kind of interaction with the general PvP mentality. Even dealing with them hoarding over resource nodes hidden in a PvP areas. Sorry (and this is stereotyping, but not far off) the majority of PvP players just play to exploit / abuses / and harass other players. I know this is not directed at all PvPers but there have been to many in other games and already here that have shown this mindset, and therefore have basically killed almost any argument that is made by legitimate players on this topic.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There was intent for there to be looting in PvE.

4EverLost and Time Lord like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Breaching the Gaps~
    When there are off line, online single or friends only, dangers can be placed there of increased value to the PvE, yet in the spectrum of the MMO, it's PvP that replaces such dangers if not completely.
    We don't know facts yet about such meteor strikes, yet what is above described should work for everyone's fun.
    [​IMG]
    The shortest route to any solutions...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

PvP with no purpose has a short lifespan. Shardfalls fill one style of purpose. It's not the motivator that all PvP minded players are looking. SotA has space to cover many bases.

The style I will never support is building a system where the new player, in-experienced player, and the weak player, are the targets. (pretty much what you pointed out in your last paragraph.)

Risk vs Reward is only risk for one side of the fight when it's designed in this way. Which is no risk at all. Player retention is impossible this way.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Anyone can make their POT or any building as PVP. I am going to make my village lot in Port Phoenix a pvp lot for training New players. there will be oversight on this lot.

4EverLost, Moonshadow and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.