Any "real" PVP zone after the final wipe?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xail, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I hate pve. For me, the pve is a insult to human intelligence.

I sometimes enjoyed some PvE raid in PvP zones, but no more.

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I just took peek at that... the concept is interesting, but a game that is playable on a system with the connection integrity and processing power of a mobile phone, albeit a modern one, is huge turn off to me. The graphics also made me want to puke, its like Wow's art, but 100x worse. Looking past the visuals, it looks interesting, but that game aims more for mass appeal and I have a feeling it wont be a very deep experience. THey just through out the Ultima Online buzzword for attention and competition, cant see any semblance to UO at all (and Im not talking about graphis with that comment).

Sweetmcpwnsauce and Time Lord like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Someone that has no interest in PvE and someone that has no interest in PvP can exist in the same game. What can no coexist is a PvPer that wants 100% of the base to be PvP or the PvEer that does not want to see PvP ever.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Which is exactly why contest areas (control points) should be open PvP areas until control has been taken (keep the flag blue for 'x' amount of time and it then remains blue with guards etc for 'x' amount of time before reverting).

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I was under the impression that some will be just as you say. Hilt for example.

Moiseyev Trueden and Time Lord like this.
  6. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Wow...you should write a book on uninformed biased opinions.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

heh it would be on the shelf next to the SotA version of that book.

8. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Yep. :)

But in defense of @Black Tortoise, I can understand why a game's graphics might make someone want to puke. I feel the same way about the "Oops. I think I just pooped my pants." expression on EVERY SotA player and NPC. The only difference is I ACTUALLY play SotA so I can make an INFORMED opinion.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:cool:~For those of you that "hate" PvP or see something wrong with it being in our game~
    This conversation is getting a bit boring and it's becoming obvious that those of you who hate it so much don't hang around Lord British, DarkStar or any of the rest of the Portalaium team to often...
    You really should show up to some of those events and voice your concerns...
    It seems like every time I'm around those fellows, they're fighting... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Id say any judgment of any artwork is a biased opinion, so yeah, my judgement of that games artwork is such. It has a huge effect on my game experience, I realized this a very long time ago when I played DAoC. The realm I chose was based on lore, but after years I came to hate it cuz the artwork was really bad. Likewise my opponents' realm was beautiful, and I eventually sold out for their side cuz the graphics were so much cooler. So when I look at games, and the artwork looks like a cheap game you play on the subway, yeah, it turns me off and I dont play it. And yeap, thats a biased opinion.

11. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Some of you might remember that I was a huge advocate for PVP at the start when I felt more inclined to voice my opinion openly. That much has not changed. I still believe there is room for PVP in SotA (and I still hope they add an All-PVP mode that opens up the entire game to be full PVP for those that choose to play that mode so those instances are only populated by people who choose that playstyle) but at the same time, I think combat needs to be fixed and balanced before they start considering options for PVP. Otherwise it will turn into one hot mess while trying to balance them out at the same time, imo.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I do believe that if PvP is at least partially considered in the filtering of players per zone the game will be as close to all PvP as it can get. For those that wish it.

13. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I don't believe people who don't want to partake in PVP should have to do so (excluding areas which are designed for exactly that with a huge warning that they would be entering a PVP zone like they have now) but I never understood why a full mode was never introduced or even really talked about for the people who want that style of gameplay. The instance system would make the whole thing much simpler and none would be the wiser. People who don't like PVP wouldn't ever have to use that mode. Makes sense to me at least. :)

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It was talked about. The idea is to remove hard line barriers that keep PvP tucked away and ignored. Specifically, the impassable barrier such as Siege Perilous, divides the player base.

But of course, there is always the option to go that route.

15. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

That's one of the reasons I like the idea of keeping it as a mode that you can switch away from at any point as well so you can go play with your other friends who might not be as keen on PVP as well rather than a whole other server where you cannot leave. It does segregate things in a way but it's the best option I can think of at this point in time that would make the majority of people happy across the board.

Skyo, Sweetmcpwnsauce and Time Lord like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Then you have the question of why would someone choose that mode over "easy mode" PvE route without risk. ;) Sorry, the course of these forums has been through a lot and I don't want to point for point with you on it unless you are interested in that kinda chat. I'm always entertained in the theory of it all so it'd be my pleasure.

The example of what I see will happen is the control point Hilt. Hilt is the only location the best resource in the game can be crafted. It's also a PvP control point (or is intended to be). While Hilt is not under control it's a PvP zone. The forge is unusable. PvE players that do not wish to PvP will have to wait until the zone is under control before they can use the forge.

I can see city sieges going the same route. Many paths that are safe can turn unsafe for periods of time. PvP might not be forced but avoiding PvP could get uncomfortable.

(RG has a post a long long time ago that more eloquently states this, I can dig it up again anyone is interested in reading it)

17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

For the same reason that people use the PVP forum: some people simply like that style of gameplay without everything being on easy mode. I'm a crafter and a merchant for the most part but I will likely be in PVP mode for two reasons: I like the challenge and danger (plus being that skill trees are separate it means I can also make my character a PVPer as well as a crafter) and because there was talk of having extra resources in these areas which would instantly draw me to them as a crafter.

Having things like control points as PVP areas is a smart thing. It gives people a reason to at least give it a go while having a reason to try but not missing out on anything except for maybe extra resources or the occasional rare resource which they could still obtain from merchants like myself. Of course, that's not all set in stone at this point but I'm hopeful.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Most certainly, there are those players that will flag PvP and stay PvP no matter what. PvPers can be very competitive and some will want PvE in with their PvP (crafting and gathering) if someone can PvE for the materials they are gaining through PvP it's always considered easier to PvE for it.

Which turns into the quest to find ways to get everyone to have to PvP for what they want. That or corner the market for PvP. (PvE has it's habits of this also, it's not exclusive to PvPers)

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Quoting and talking: functions of a forum, there's also an ignore function.

20. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

If you would have stopped there then it would have been fine. Making statements like "aims for mass appeal" (which it doesn't - the devs have said the audience is hardcore players) and "They just through out the Ultima Online buzzword for attention and competition, cant see any semblance to UO at all" (a game you've never played - *shakes head*) just makes you look....well, I'll just leave it at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.