Any tabletop gamers out there?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crossbowsoda, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I played D&D Basic Set (1983 edition), then AD&D and eventually I've DM'ed a short-ish D&D 3.5ed campaign.
    Also, won a local Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. competition in the late '90s and played some Call of Cthulhu (brilliant game by the way).

rild likes this.
  2. rild

rild Avatar

Original D&D, AD&D 2nd ed mostly, Rifts, Heroes, a lil TMNT. Currently playing a couple free-form campaigns with a small group of friends. We usually start off the night before a big session with some Dominion or Ascension. Race for the Galaxy is a classic! And of course, looking forward to playing a lot of Sojourner Tales.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

My parents are gamers, so I've been gaming since they could put dice in my hands. We played a lot of Avalon hill games growing up. Some we played a lot were Rail Baron and Acquire. D&D in the early 90s.. in 1993 started playing magic: the gathering.. played Warhammer Fantasy starting in 1996, 40k this past year. A couple of years ago I found my co-worker is big into boardgames, big as in he owns hundreds of games and knows how to play them all, he attends board game conventions. He recently opened a gaming store just a little over a year ago and, I'll just say he isn't losing money.

So since I met him I played Eclipse, Quarriors, Le havre, survive, small world, agricola, werewolf, 7 wonders, dominion, thunderstone, many, many more.. basically it's just a new board game every time I see him, and we'd get together to play atleast once week.

Isaiah and rild like this.
  4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm a tabletop gamer. I got a new one this Christmas in fact: Paul Peterson's "Smash Up". It's pretty fun and easy to play with any number of people.

I look forward to playing a tabletop game in Shroud of the Avatar at the local watering hole..

rild likes this.
  5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

rild and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Oh by the way, how could I forget that I was the happy owner of this? :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The map was huge, I had to unroll it on the floor in my parent's cellar as there was not enough space in any other room in the house for it.

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

Not of late, but lifelong gamer. Im 40 and started at about age 8.

Tabletop - I was a judge, Warlord and all that for Wizkids Clix stuff before they sold to Tops. Primarily a fan of Mage Knight Dungeons and Mage Knight. Mech warrior was so-so. Marvel was fun once in a while. Ive played other table top stuff - including historical war stuff. Ive even helped alpha and beta test for some independent publishers and been on filmed commercials once upon a time. During the Wizkids era - I ran for a couple of local stores but I also had my game room in my house as an approved non-store venue with Wizkids (wasn't easy but I knew a lot of prominent people who vouched for me being valid).

I avoided Warhammer for two reasons. Cost and time. Time being that iv'e been a miniature painter for about 30 years as well. Meaning Id spend 40+ hours painting each miniature.. lot of time :). Cost because I knew id enjoy it and didnt want to get involved in something I knew id spend a fortune on.

Beyond that.. Card, Board, and Pen and paper. Have done it all. I ran a local game club for over a decade but I gave it up about 2 years ago. Just didn't want to host anymore. It was a large segment of my life but it's a lot of work. Especially rotating in new players when people move away (Ive had over a 100 members in the time I ran it - people move). Also did a 72 hour play session every year for Labor day or Memorial day weekend (sometimes both), which included me cooking 40-50 pounds of meat on the first day for food for the whole 72 hours.. followed by an entire 72 hours of gaming. good stuff! I once did a 2 week long gaming con in my game room.

Hmm.. At one time in my life I was heavy into Magic the Gathering and I held one of the largest Private collections in the world (Bold statement, but very true. When I sold it took me over a year piecing stuff off and I pulled in over 30,000.00). I still have some special items. I did not collect just cards though - anything and everything related. I could write a book on non-card stuff I had that was related. From official made back-packs to magazines and counters.

*grins* - I see Fire Lotus is doing Starwars Saga. Love that, and have every book published for it.

Im a huge fan of Titan. I own two of the Avalon hill purple box edition, 1 of the Valley Game prints.. and yes, even an original White and red box that I do not use to play :). That thing was costly! If I had to name my number one favorite non-rpg it would be Titan or Dragon Master. Although the Doctor who Board game (one with Tom Baker on front) is really awesome once a few rules modifications are made.

Like I said though, nothing much these days. Im really. I don't know, a bit burnt out on that type of gaming. Im more interested currently in a focus on a good online game I can play at the Recliner, hence my interest in SotA.

My Game room is there waiting for me and kept maintained though until im ready to start up again! Here's some photos of it, although ive added some things since they where taken. Keep in mind, its 30 years of gaming, so not something I built over night.

http://www.thecaverns.net/Photos/va...Real-life-game-room/P8292034.JPG?m=1388256428

I have sold off some pieces here and there of games I felt I would never play again.. but here's a list of a lot of the stuff that currently is in my game room:
    non-rpg
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Lv2exEq_w9WXo1bmxYaXpXRVE/edit?usp=sharing

RPG ( 6-12 books Ive picked up for my 3.5 collection arent listed. Havnet updated it in a bit. Im close to having all offical 3.5 hard backs printed, but had to stop picking them up due to financial cut-backs)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Lv2exEq_w9RWF6cXJQTDdpWUE/edit?usp=sharing

My Favorite RPG stuff - i always say, depends on the group of people im playing with and the play style.. but in general
    D&D 3.x
    White Wolf World of darkness stuff (Changeling, and Mage primarily but love it all).
    Starwars Saga is great

Dragonlance Saga is fantastic and I own everything made for it.. including obscue stuff that just has short releated pieces. (grrr.. missing 3 of the random modules inserted into the extra card decks you could purchase.. hard to locate)

Lot of Steve Jackston is also good. Inomine is fun when ran properly

Green Ronin Stuff. Thieves world, Mutants and Masterminds, Black Company - all done well.

The Buffy and Angel RPG's where well made.

Occasionally some independent stuff is fun such as prime time adventures and Dogs of War.

Paranoia.. Ravenloft. Cuthulu d20 is a good short campaign.

Ive played more then I can count though. Those are just a few that jump to mind I enjoy a lot.

8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

This game got me into years of fantasy wargaming. I played Warhammer and 40K most of my adult life (though I stopped 3 or 4 years ago). I still do tabletop roleplaying at home though. D&D of various stripes, Pathfinder, 13th age, warhammer fantasy, Dark Heresy, Shadowrun, Hero System, Gurps, Homebrew stuff... you name it.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

"Do you have that one guy that you just don't know how to tell to leave and never come back! Because hes too political in the game and spends too much time talking to one player! The Knight, Paladin, His girlfriend? Does he carry on making stupid jokes and not concentrating on the campaign at hand!? Who rolls low on the dice and makes excuses, it slipped, i wasn't ready, i dropped the dice on accident! Or maybe you have that one Player that has to be the most powerful character of them all, you trust everyone to roll up a character and he comes back with 18 Str, 18 Int, 18 Con, 18 Wis, 18 Dex and 18 Cha, snake like features and pale skin and can cast every spell to the 10th power, and swears he just got lucky on the rolls! If this is your problem feel free to call us "Mercenaries Inc." we can make that problem disappear! For our first time clients we offer a 50% discount!

Yeah i play a lot of D&D , AD&D! Once a week we have a session that lasts as long as we can all stay awake! I also have this board game called "The Adventures of Drizzt", haven't played it yet but look forward to it! and D&D Version of Clue....('Thorgum in the dungeon with a great mace!")

Time Lord and 3devious like this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Nice game room!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

I played 1st and 2nd Edition D&D when I was growing up, one or two games of Call of Cthulhu (and read all the sourcebooks) Warhammer FRPG a couple times (and read all the sourcebooks and ogled the art )

I took a hiatus after my early twenties for quite a while, many years.

In the last couple years I got back into the game - skipped 3 and 3.5 and didn't like 4 so I went Pathfinder and that was a great choice.

Since then I've played a couple adventure paths with a small group, Reign of Winter is amazing, I also can recommend the Pathfinder version of Rappan Athuk for an amazing megaduneon and old school meets new school vibe :)

12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I've had a lot of fun with the Pathfinder stuff. Paizo seems to be almost as good of a company as Mercenaries Inc!
    There's a thread about GenCon around here somewhere. My husband and I are actually going to get ourselves together and head out to Indy this year. I think he is going to run some Palladium games.

docdoom77 likes this.
  13. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

My favourite company by far has to be Fantasy Flight Games. Their games are complex but not as complex as something like D&D.

docdoom77 likes this.
  14. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Big TT game fan, but not a big player because finding people who are willing to give a game a try these days is rare indeed. I can usually talk someone into Carcassone, or even Catan if they are daring. Used to play Magic a little when it was, literally, first edition. Havent touched a card since.

My main interest right now are the old school hard core wargames, mainly Advanced Squad Leader (Starter Kit flavour). I've got one guy I can usually get together with once a month.

PS if anyone is a frequenter of Boardgamegeek, we have a Shroud of the Avatar Fan badge available now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.