Any tabletop gamers out there?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crossbowsoda, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Long-time SWSaga DM & Warhammer player here..

My friends and I are currently writing a campaign arc for Warhammer Fantasy. Rather, we're letting the campaign write itself via dice rolls! Before the games, we use dice to determine who is attacking who, with offensive and defensive lists prepared (amongst other situational lists). There are also scenarios such as Siege, Supply Lines, Insurrection, etc.

So far it's turning out to be a pretty interesting campaign! I play as Lizardmen, amongst High Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven, and Chaos. It's set in the early days of the Warhammer lore.

Anyway, we also play Munchkin, Risk, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, Cathedral, etc.

So, yeah -- board games, live-action, video games, tabletop, etc. -- I'd love to hear what you're all up to!

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  2. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I am very, very much a tabletop gamer. Right now, I'm involved in roleplaying games, as either player or GM, in the Battletech, Legend of the Five Rings, and Forgotten Realms universes, and will soon be starting a game set in a homebrew world, if the schedules of the players and GM can align. I also occasionally play board games and card games, such as the rousing series of Guillotine games I was involved in yesterday.

3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

How have the Battletech and Legend of the Five Rings series treated you? My friends and I were thinking about starting up one or the other..

4. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

5. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

I myself and a few friends are starting to get into Warhammer 40k tabletop. Gotta finish building an army before I can get it going.

6. lock426

lock426 Avatar

I play a lot of table top rpgs both as a player and a gm, though I've never been in one as a player that didn't fall apart after a month. My personal favorites are starwars saga, world of darkness old or new, Call of Cthulhu, and shadowrun.

I am currently running a Call of Cthulhu game set in modern day in which someone put the necronomicon on the internet. It's a no win scenario if I've ever heard one.

7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I'm more of a D&D player. I was in this Mage game a while ago but it fell apart because we had one guy that we didn't want coming over anymore but didn't have the guts to tell him he was banned from the house. We just avoid him completely.

8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

The guy who eats all the pizza and never pays, eh?

We've had to throw one guy out multiple times for going too far with things, but we always manage to remedy the problem by bringing it to light. He's a lot better now. :)

3devious likes this.
  9. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Well, if you like intensely political roleplaying, you'll love either setting. My fiancée and I can debate politics within either universe for hours, and do, just for entertainment. And with seven to nine major factions, plus as many as fifteen minor ones, depending on the era you're examining, (for L5R; with Battletech, the numbers are as high as twenty-six major factions and over fifty minor ones), the opportunities for interplay and interfactional conflict, espionage, and intrigue are pretty much endless.

Now, if you like pure kill-'em-and-take-their-stuff roleplaying, you may find yourself disappointed here.

10. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Great to hear there are some PnP gamers here. Of course I expected it. Any good group of intelligent, witty and creative (and of course stunningly attractive) people are likely to be gamers. Though I might be (slightly) biased.

I started gaming with AD&D 1.0 and have played many, many systems and games. I have spent almost all of my game-time for the last 4 years in the PGS system, but since the original game manual is right here on my HDD with perhaps 1000 hours left pre-publish, I don't expect anyone has heard of it.

As for me, I love playing MMOs with PnP gamers. Looking forward to seeing you ingame.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I used to play a lot of D&D, Palladium, Battletech, etc... as a kid. Now it's not so easy to find a group (and the time). I still play board games when groups get together like Puerto Rico, Catan, etc... My son is a fan of Munchkin and Family Business. I did make him cry today when I 'mated' the Balrog he and his mom were fighting :)

Unseen Dragon

12. EriksBlue

EriksBlue Avatar

I'm a big player of D&D 4e but I much prefer 3.5, beyond that I have played BESM, Legend, Pathfinder, Legend Of The Five Rings , and Eclipse Phase. Pretty soon after we finish our 2 year running 4e campaign were gonna try Shadow Run.

3devious likes this.
  13. chillblain

chillblain Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I play quite a few tabletop games. Mostly I play board games, my personal favorite is Cosmic Encounter, but I also play WH40k (tyranids) and a few pen & paper rpgs (lately pathfinder, GURPs traveller/monster hunter). Used to play Magic back in the day but haven't touched it for a few years, commander/EDH was by far my favorite mode though I also did a lot of drafts and sealed tournies- never was a fan of pre-con standard. My favorite CCG is Battletech but it's been dead for a while now.

14. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

BIG fan of tabletop games! A bunch of us try to get together Tuesday nights and play. Recently we've been playing Smallworld, Munchkin, Tsuro, Settlers of Catan and Carcasonne. Most recently we've gotten in to the Dragon Age "Dark Roleplaying Game", it's fantastic and I highly recommend it to all those that are pining for a new Pen/Paper RPG.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  15. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Love table top. Started with D&D then graduated to AD&D, played that for decades. Then went through, Vampire: The Masquerade, Mage: the ascension, earthdawn, another version of D&D a friend had completely made up. Then some BattleTech, old gamma world and last but not least Shadowrun.

rild likes this.
  16. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I've just started a new campaign with friends, playing Star Wars: Roleplaying Saga. But I've been a PnP gamer since D&D second ed... since I was quite young. *clears throat* Yeah, very young.

17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Always wanted to get into tabletop, but I have no friends locally that would even consider playing that I know of. Guess I'm stuck with PC games.

edit: Charlotte, NC tabletop players hit me up!

TheMadHermit likes this.
  18. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If you think MMO is time consuming...then you never played a good tabletop session with your friends....

19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

In college we'd start friday night and end sunday night. Then women came along and they didn't tolerate that to well. But yeah, they can go for quite sometime.

Myrcello likes this.
  20. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You needed to game with more women! It's funny that now my hubby is cramping my gaming but that is only because he has to work crazy hours as of late and I hate to game without him. Stupid responsibility getting in the way of my D&D!

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.