anyone have an idea where is best to place an edlemen plot yet

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Lord Ruinsor Rubble, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ruinsor Rubble

Lord Ruinsor Rubble Avatar

i am edleman pledge and i get a tax free house with cabana. is there any idea what is best place to place one?

i think i would need water front lot. any idea how many water front edleman size properties there will be. i don' t

t hink they should do it on a first run to it ,first get it basis. should be senority and level who gets to pick first as a

reward for supporting the game. then i t hink the lots bought at store should be afree for all. anyone agree with

me?

2. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Charles, patience, the game is still at least 6 months away :)
    No one has traveled the lands yet. All we can go by is the map that has been revealed. It all depends on what you want for an area to live. City? Town? Village? there will be village lots available in all those places.

3. lock426

lock426 Avatar

Anywhere but the town revealed in R2. Those bagpipes in the soundtrack are like a knife twisting in your ear.
    It's just my opinion... but it's true.

4. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Britain moongate.

iwanbo, NoQuarter and Reco Elgred like this.
  5. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Avatar

No chance to place the deed near the brit Moongate. My PK is waiting! :D

6. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

Don't even worry about it yet Charles. We've only seen three towns so far, so there is still much to debate about where will be "the place" to plop your house down.

Just be patient.

Phredicon likes this.
  7. vjek

vjek Avatar

A diagram!

[​IMG]
    Say the green area represents a hypothetical civ-hex in-game; the light brown area is the town proper within which are ALL the lots.
    Yellow and Blue are two entrances to the zone. The purple dot is the city gate, should such a thing exist in our hypothetical zone.
    We haven't seen multi-entrance zones, nor is there any indication they'll be in the game, but either they are and we have more than one, and they aren't, and we have one. Regardless, the problem is similar. Adding more random entrances to the zone will just frustrate the problem, not solve it.

In any case, your customers must either travel from the yellow dot to the purple dot, or from the blue dot to the purple dot. Either way, there's travel time, and it varies based on location. That, in a nutshell, is the problem to solve.
    Based on the diagram, having your lot nearest to the purple dot, within the light brown square, is ideal. Everyone who plans on being a merchant knows this. Large guilds who plan on attempting to monopolize the entire market of the entire game know this.
    Players who treat every online game with RMT as an HFT money-laundering playground know this. :)

Unless...! You can mark a rune next to any vendor, anywhere, and recall there whenever you want? Then lot location doesn't matter in the slightest, and in fact smaller remote zones would be more attractive, given they would load faster and have fewer NPC's and PC's to render in them.
    Players would find equilibrium on their own. Balance, peace and calm would be the order of the day.

It remains to be seen what Portalarium's design goals are on this topic, and how they implement in-civ-hex mark/recall (or similar mechanic). They can do it in a friendly way, or they can do it in a adversarial way. It's an incredibly important design decision, and will affect massive interconnected parts of the game. I know how I would do it, but it will be interesting to see how they do it. ;)

8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Charles,

The plan has always been to allow higher tiers to get a head start over lower tiers during the house picking process.
    And Founders picking before Benefactors within each tier, then the add-on store lots running in last.

Edelmann houses sit on village sized lots, and there will be more village lots than any other type in the game.
    There are quite a few knight pledges who will also place on village lots, and get to place before the Edelmann tier though.
    But as an Edelmann, you'll get to place before the citizen tier.

Keep an eye out for when they release more information about lot placement, but I think vjek brings up a great point.
    It depends how travel is implemented in-game.
    Most likely, the most traveled routes, between zone gates and city gates will be the most popular.

9. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

UNLESS you want/need/have to go into all areas of the brown square routinely for many reasons - one example is the crafting stations. Another may be the tavern. Still another may be the NPC market. Then it does not NECESSARILY track that people will exclusively use the "closest" vendor to the entrance/exit points. Time will tell what are the 'good' spots.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Another question is just how often someone would need to get to your shop; if the answer is "not all that often" then it may not matter where it's located. Good product, well stocked, good prices and people will walk an extra few screens to find your place. Also, having available crafting stations or other goodies (well decorated, comfy house) will be a draw.

I think this works very well if we don't have recall-to-house abilities; if we do then it'll really just be based on what you sell and for how much (which would be a shame)...

Sir Stile Teckel and Phredicon like this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

I ran extremely succsefull vendor shops in UO with poor location.

Using some of these tactics as a draw.. As well as a few other things but im not going to give sway all my strategies :)

However while i made millions and tens of millions on a regular basis, im sure i could have done even better in a prime location.

12. vjek

vjek Avatar

There's a reason a drew the diagram this way. Some civ-hexes, so far, have quite a bit of "wilderness" outside the lot area. The brown area is the lot area, the gate is optional. I should have just left the gate out, I guess.

It doesn't matter what the layout is, geometrically. What I'm driving at is, there is no need to "see" which lots will be desirable. It's the lots closest to either the city gate or the zone in point, whichever is closest to the first civ lot in the civ hex, that are the best locations. Including all current public information, that's all there is to it.

This also creates the situation that city lots and town lots may be inferior to village lots, for the purposes of vendor placement.

(without mark/recall, etc)

13. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I won't say those AREN'T 'the best locations', but I don't believe they are inherently the best locations. I think the kinds of things that Seir mentioned make a difference as well as how often people need to go to other parts of a V/T/C. There's also the value of the protection closer to town centers to consider.

I think we'll only know after the game has begun what are the "best" lots.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The best place to put an Edelmann home is in the center of a Lord of the Manor Castle plot, right?

Ronan likes this.
  15. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Mine would fit in Sir Styles attic!

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.