Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

AoE mages broken, mages OP

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Toadster, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Edited the title of the thread. Please post relevant titles to the topic directly and not emotional jabs, thanks.

NRaas likes this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Eh... its not about simply not dying much, its about being challenged to get really good at not dying. But I get it that emotionally fueled inflammatory posts have to construe language and use straw mans to maintain their posture, its rather trendy round these forums ;).

Ive been playing for several hours today. Havent died once. Dont plan on it happening either. I have my deck set such that I can tactically withdraw at any moment, I keep a good sense of the spawn rate vs the path of mobs I cleared through an area, and I pan the camera around to make sure I am not getting aggro from an unexpected vector. There might be a lot of other things I do that Ive internalized that I dont realize are part of this so called "skill," but ya, IMO it doesnt take much to not-die except be aware.

I could get better though. I do die sometimes for attacking too many things at once when I know full well I need max focus instead of 3/4, and that its likely things have respawned in my "run away" path that need cleared again, but I get brazen and do it anyway and die. Now I have a reason to not do that. Now I have more of a reason to get better at not dying. I plan to be an expert at some point. I want the game to challenge me to get to that point where I can just not die all the time, cuz I will.

Likewise, the less penalty for death, the less my skill at not-dying will become, because, well, who cares?! Thats no fun. So yeah just focus on that not-dying skill and youre all set.

Oh, pro tip: get a 2nd monitor for ranting on the forums. Id probably die a lot more if I diddnt have this window in a small screen next to a zoomed out view of anything that might attack me.

3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

@Berek - thank you for changing the title but it was more for emphasis on these changes than emotionally charged. And I will tone it down in the future.

A few points here... using a title for emphasis does not necessarily mean it is emotionally fueled. But I can understand why they changed it. And I will not argue that point.

And furthermore Here is the link to the Wikipedia explanation of Straw Man arguments

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

please read and understand the words you use before trying to dismiss someone else's point of view with then. You said your beliefs I said mine with how I feel about penalties adding meaning to death. Answers to your interrupt statement and how I got to level 72. There were no arguments setup to be knocked down to prove a point or pretend like it proved your views to be wrong.

Just because two people do not agree on something does not mean one is right or one is wrong. It just means there are two different opinions.

The original topic on how this will negatively affect a casual player is still out there. And eventually I, as a casual player will get better or change my tactics to succeed if this is the direction they continue to go. Up until the point the cost outweighs the fun, and I will move on.

The original suggestion of only accruing while in game is still out there. I believe that will stop a lot of these issues because the time in game will now determine the decay not my time at work or with family. So someone playing 12 hours a day will have to recover from 12 hours of decay and someone playing 3 only has to recover from 3.

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Ok, I say it will positively impact a casual player, by making you get really good at not-dying!

Trust me, the meta game of not-dying in a game is oftentimes more fun than the more ostensible game mechanics.

5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

And I will refute that by saying it will push me to micro manage my Exp pool in a play style I do not enjoy in order to negate any sort of truly negative consequences to my death.

I will turn all my skills to maintain and raise 5 million exp in my pool, train skills from 5 to 4, rinse and repeat.

11k will have no meaning even 100k a death will have no meaning with pools in the millions. It's not the hardcore gamers asking for changes to this, they already understand how they can still do everything they want. It is the casual player that wants to progress casually without all the hassle.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.