Are all the UO players gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz101, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modu

Modu Avatar

I really don't understand why open world PvP and full body looting is so bad. There was a lot of ways to deal with it.

Full world PvP and full body looting facilitated the need for so many other things and created so much tension in that world. You had to trust people you were going to hang out with, because they could gut you and take your stuff in a split second. Welcome to a real lawless society.

I mean, I understand in a way. We often referred to UO as a prison system. If you didn't have a group of people to protect you, you were going to have a rough life no doubt. Hello, isn't that the point of MMOs is to interact?

Now we have Solo online play - yeesh. I don't have to compete or get help from anybody, and after I build up my skills enough I can roam the country side totally and completely free from any danger, while carrying enough resources to crush an elephant.

MMOs have to stand alone as single player games now in order to pull in the maximum profits. Always the dollars, always the f!%!@ dollars.

I'm still waiting for a REAL successor to UO. A truly dark, medieval fantasy world where good guys lose, everybody lies and love does not conquer all.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Armar, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

One thing I miss about UO that I wish were possible here is the ability to drop items on the ground at will.

That way when people get corpsed and ragequit they can drop all their items at the bank for me instead of selling them via paypal :D

Apollyon9515 and Time Lord like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think that is the elephant in the room right there. The real world vs fantasy. People monetized fantasy and now we have a pile of dung. People value the real $ over what the game was intended. Greed is the king, and the people that play are subjects.

Apollyon9515, Armar and Time Lord like this.
  4. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Easy, I absolutely hate open world PvP for the exact reasons you mentioned. I don't play any game to get more tense. I'm not competitive, I'm cooperative by nature so I don't want to look over my shoulder all the time in case Bob the fighter decides to slit my throat, /emote poo on my corpse, call me something rude and vendor the stuff I worked weeks for. That's why there are laws, to protect people from the looting and chaos that would ensue without them. Some human beings seem drawn to evil acts when left to their own devices and complete anonymity.

I'm a '********', I guess. You're not. It's all good. They need to makes games to fit us both. They learned you can't make a game that lets people have fun at the expense of others. If it's consensual, sure. If not, it's just griefing in my opinion.

So you're looking for Game of Thrones Online, lol. Man, that show can be downright depressing at times...

5. Modu

Modu Avatar

I was actually thinking that as I typed that up.

Time Lord and Baalice like this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And how would you mix this with quests and story? Don't you think that it would be really frustrating if people wanted to follow the story and do some quests only to be attacked constantly and then after they finally managed to complete the quest someone attacks them and steals the quest item...
    I can't see how Open PvP and full loot can work together with story and quests.

Jens_T, Manerd and Time Lord like this.
  7. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

full loot just doesnt work as soon as there are items that go beyond gm exceptional leather armor. in uo you didnt need to wear any armor at all... my outfit was newbiefied skirt and halfapron and a blessed strawhat. all i could lose was 80 each. [edit] at least untill AOS, but quit official servers 1/2 year after that came out, because it ruined UO entirely for me.[/edit]

maybe thats the reason UO had no quests at all ^^.

Jens_T and Time Lord like this.
  8. Forseti

Forseti Avatar

Nah we don't need that sense of excitement and danger in Sota(getting actual adrenaline rush when close to death), let's have that sense of burden for paying property taxes and social inequality. This makes for a more fun game, right?

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But it wouldn't work in SotA due to the fact that it is a story-driven game ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

full loot and a completely open world can work and does work quite nicely.

You need to have the game structured with plenty of activities to justify having large guilds, and plenty of endgame content in other areas like crafting, house decoration, quests etc.

From there, the trick to it seems to be having enough players who can handle open PvP who are willing to guide the players who aren't into it softly.

At the end of the day, every single MMO player enjoys it, because of the sense of fulfillment gained once they finally get past the harsh learning curve. Just getting to that point takes people who are helpful.

Armar and Time Lord like this.
  11. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

true it wouldnt :).

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Please Allow Me to Grind this Up with You All~
    [​IMG]

To say such about Lord British you maybe need to take a look much closer ;)

[​IMG]

His influence on UO everyone loved because it was the first anarchy on line, before a gaming company took it over and then took the steering wheel somewhat out of his direct control. As years went on this became that world which died from it's lack of excitement. It's human nature to have a war like face, then mellow as days wear on which were reflected in that game's continuing history of demise in self destruction which was not in our Lord British's rebellious ways.
    https://casualaggro.wordpress.com/2...reference-to-how-terrible-electronic-arts-is/
    When a play or movie is presented, it's opening scenes (if it a success) are always innocent which then sets the stage to what sinister or exciting things will come to have the movie or play become a hit. If a presentation is presented with Jason of Friday 13 killing everyone, then there's not much more that can come in it's excitement, the rest is then just a replay of the first scene which then becomes the box office flop because of it's redundancy. In this way we must look at the Lord British work as evolved within it's presentation, "the stage is being set, yet our play or movie in excitement has yet to begin". We now all sit inside a theater watching the previews of other movies, while judging what is to come on the closed curtains of what has yet to be revealed.

I know our Lord British's worlds as things that are always these are then turned upside-down, I know him to be a scoundrel of cannibalism, a wretch of the most obscene and a staunch advocate of placing his players emotions into the depths of where reality and game are felt both the same. I also know him to be the intricate crafter, the artist of deep scenic beauty and rewarded to those who dwell in the meadows of their labor's prosperity.

We see only the stage, with hidden noises from behind the curtain, readying our play to begin.

From the sweetness of a jungle paradise...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

To a tale that set the stage for everything Ultima and UO to follow...
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Our Lord British is setting his stage for us once more and we all are singing his bloody tune for his curtain to rise and make sausage from us all...

~'The Fellowship'~
    [​IMG]
    ~Was Here and You will Hear From Us~
    [​IMG]
    *leaves the blood stained note behind*

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-fellowship-has-arrived-in-new-britannia.59144/

We follow Lord British's ways... o_O...
    If you like what you see, then please feel free to hit the "like button" that you see... :confused:

"Because it's not just a Ultima Cult, it's an adventure into what's sinister" for everyone...

:cool:~Nystal TimeLord~:rolleyes:

Fister Magee, Forseti and Modu like this.
  13. harrharr

harrharr Avatar

I am an active 2D UO player on Europa and Siege Perilous.

I logon to SotA every 2-3 weeks to look for progress and testing, but what I can see so far is that this game will not get me close to the feeling I have for and while playing UO.
    Borders every here and there, loading screens every here and there, instances, very strange behavior of creatures (running away in top speed when hitting the border of their own zone), combat movement, bad UI, strange crafting gumps and the craftin .........

The grafics are somewhat good, but I just don't like it very much right now.

Time Lord and Armar like this.
  14. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Well you're in luck because this is not a game.

It's a housing simulator for people who really wanted a newer version of Second Life.

Apollyon9515, Time Lord and Armar like this.
  15. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

I remember when a GM told me they had a solution to the house placement problem and then they released felucca and introduced a bigger problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  16. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

The real successor to UO and Diablo 2. Man to relive those days would be amazing.

Apollyon9515, Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  17. Brother Oak

Brother Oak Avatar

I'd like to see more PvP flagged zones. Not just deathmatch/control point areas, but regular explorable zones, mines, some questing areas, etc. With enough rewards to entice you in, even if you're not specifically looking for PvP. Think of the excitement!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I'm following how the development goes. So far I'm not super impressed. But then again, I am basing this off of the fact of how little content there is right now. Which I know for a fact that there is more coming soon (game hasn't launched yet lol)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Control points will never be PvP+ as traveling through them is required to cross the map, which is required to complete the story. These two requirements would amount to requiring Avatars to consent to PvP which would be a violation of the promise that PvP would always be consensual.
    • The Shardfalls already satisfy much of your suggestion... Many resources, including resources that are necessary and rare, drop/spawn at vastly higher rates there than anywhere else in the game.
    • They are adding an NPC PvP+ Town modeled after Bucaneer's Den from UO. This was announced during the telethon.
    • I don't know that Mines and Dungeons and similar "Adventuring Areas" don't already exist in Shardfalls, but they could certainly be added if not. The same could be added beneath Bucaneer's Den and the other two PvP+ non-Shardfall PvP+ scenes that I forget the name of right now.

Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

They (Origin) created the housing problem at the very beginning when they allowed 1 house per character (not 1 house per account). So, 5 character slots meant 5 houses per account initially. This is what messed it all up. They changed it several months later to 3 houses per account, but by then, the damage was done. The one house per account didn't come into effect until the Trammel/fellucca split. Still think that was a bad idea all around. ( the shard split that is ).

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.